Winter Storms, Summer Heat, and our 3rd World Electric System

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So................
    the multitudes bitched and bitched at him during Snowmeggedon.

I suppose it's only appropriate to give credit where it's due, for the success of the Texas electric grid and system, this go round:

[​IMG]
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

They had problems but you don't see them getting anywhere near the grief given to ERCOT. And many of those States get this more than once a year.

It is almost as if the media agenda has it in for Texas...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Well, it sounds like Cruz showed up for his shifts this time. Good for him and Texas.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I always wondered what the libs wanted a US Senator to do about the electric grid.

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It never matters. When Democrat Illinois "Governor" Pritzker was making plans to travel to Florida with his family while simultaneously closing and locking down businesses in Illinois, no one pressed when, shockingly, a reporter asked how he justified that. His obnoxious and seemingly offended response saying it was no one's business was universally accepted.

As usual, only a non-electrical grid worker Senator with an (R) behind his name would be excoriated for not working where he wasn't employed to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

But didn't the grid do better because of Beto's suggestions?

:beertoast:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I find it remarkable how libs obsess over Texas every time there's a storm but yet never notice California's blackouts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That conclusion is true, but one cherry-picked data point doesn't prove it.

Obviously, someone else can "prove" the opposite by posting one cherry-picked snapshot of a moment when wind and solar were producing unusually high amounts (I saw a fair number of people on Twitter doing just this right when the freeze began).

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Garm
    The Libs hate anything to do with Texas and now Florida.
    Hate that life is so much better with out f'in gov't controlling everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't agree. For something to be reliable it has to be at full to near full capacity ALL the time. Or if you can control it to be used when you need it. For that one data point isn't enough.

However, for something to be unreliable it just has to be at low/zero capacity ONE time. Of course Milloy has posted multiple occurrences. Plus, we in Texas lived through the wind and solar fiasco during February 2021. If it is low when you really need it to heat your home, you die (if that is all your have). Thank God we had gas and coal in 2021 even though it didn't perform at a desired level. Those fuel sources were used to increase power and heating during that time.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah really. Our pols may not have it all together, but California's electric woes are MUCH WORSE than here in Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of wind & solar energy and cherries -- with today's current technology, that's precisely what wind and solar should be -----> the cherry on top of the cake, not the cake itself.

13. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Solar's only real use is for areas where it is hard to extend the grid. Or for people who specifically want to be independent of the grid. But spending money on more expensive less reliable electricity is a waste of money. I'm not sure wind has any real utility.

14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Only if there is some miraculous discovery in battery technology, but same is true with solar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think solar is approaching 25% capture of sun energy to electricity. Theoretical max is 30% or so since not all light has the proper wavelength to convert to electricity. In short, solar is close to optimum. Maybe you meant cost to produce solar cells. Even then, >50% cost is installation and hook-up to the home and/or power grid. Thus, cost of solar is about as good as it is going to get.

16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

No, I meant just what I said though I may be all wet on it. My meaning was solar (and wind) is only viable if you can store it, hence batteries. Of course it works good if it’s sunny and/or windy but night and no wind are a problem.

17. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Eff the Texas Legislature for this. They determine laws and regulations dictating how much supply to add and from what sources. ERCOT is trying to hold together an ever weaker grid.

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I think that is reasonable. Our population has increased so much in last few years capability can't expand as fast.
    We set a record usage yesterday.
    So if most people would cut back just a little and that prevents brown outs or black outs
    What is the big deal?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Electrical supply hasn't kept with demand because regulations have kept power providers from doing so and directed them to add unreliable sources while closing reliable searches. It is a planned failure.

Citizens need to become more quick to call out government mismanagement and the artificial scarcity they create. Less excuses more accountability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mona
    I understand and the crap Lege is at fault
    BUT right now we need to deal with what is now
    Ercot is asking people to set thermostat at 78. 78 That is not a hardship
    Doing laundry early isn't a hardship.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

78? I’ll have to visit my daughter to cool off in a more accommodative climate, Phoenix.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Oh sure
    Go to a dry heat.:ousucksnana:

the humidity is what is making it a killer

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Depending on the airflow in a given place and where exactly the sensor is, 78 in one place isn't 78 in another. I have to put the thermostat at 72 or 73 at my current location to feel as cool as I'd feel on 76 at the previous place I lived. If I kept it on 78 from here I wouldn't be able to work from home very effectively because I'd be constantly dripping sweat onto my laptops.

But changing my apt a few degrees is nothing compared to a bunch of office towers adjusting up even a single degree. Reminds me of frostpocalypse when all our empty skyscrapers, Q2 stadium, COTA, ACC Highlands, etc, were shining full lights all night long and/or heaters running needlessly while Joe Resident trying to keep his kids warm was told he needed to keep his own heating to minimum.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Odd. I keep my home at 79* in the summer, ceiling fans run in the living areas from 11am to 10pm. Everyone is comfy

To add. Before I got married I kept the thermostat on 66* in the winter. The wife can't handle it that cold.

The closer you keep the thermostat set to outdoor Temps, the better off your allergies are. Fact. Sometimes you just gotta toughen up a bit :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

N. Texas forecast:

100s today (Tues 6/21/23)

Then highs in the 90s for several days.

Then highs over 100 from June 25 all the way through July 3 (and maybe longer).

It's not 1980, but this is awfully early for temps in the 100s...

• Hot Hot x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

"I told you so!"
    "I told you so!"
    "I told you so!"
    "I told you so!"
    "I told you so!"

• Funny Funny x 4
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If you read Ercot's list of recommendations they are not exactly draconian.
    Raise themostat 1 or 2 degrees
    Unplug any devices or appliances not being used
    Do not do laundry between 4 pm and 8 pm
    Recommendations for Commercial buildings to reduce usage

• Like Like x 2
  29. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

By the way, outside of Texas, the weather in the US is unseasonably cool, if not cold in some places.