WNBA Draft

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Apr 8, 2020.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well....how bout them apples. From Voepel ESPNW. Notice number 9. Cox has dropped to 3.
    First round

1. New York Liberty: Sabrina Ionescu, PG, Oregon

2. Dallas Wings: Satou Sabally, SF, Oregon

3. Indiana Fever: Lauren Cox, PF, Baylor

4. Atlanta Dream: Chennedy Carter, SG, Texas A&M

5. Dallas Wings: Tyasha Harris, PG, South Carolina

6. Minnesota Lynx: Megan Walker, SF, UConn

7. Dallas Wings: Bella Alarie, SF, Princeton

8. Chicago Sky: Kiah Gillespie, PF, Florida State

9. Dallas Wings: Joyner Holmes, PF, Texas

The Wings might not get Cox, but perhaps they'll go for another Texas-native forward to add more Lone Star State flavor to the team. Holmes was the espnW HoopGurlz No. 2 prospect for the class of 2016, and then was Big 12 Freshman of the Year. But a suspension for the first semester of her sophomore year and a broken ankle before her junior year kept Joyner from having the Longhorn career she might have had. However, she averaged 13.1 points and 8.7 rebounds as a senior, and perhaps her potential will be realized at the pro level. Holmes returns as a first-round projection after not being included in ESPN.com's February and March mock drafts.

10. Phoenix Mercury: Beatrice Mompremier, PF, Miami

11. Seattle Storm: Ruthy Hebard, PF, Oregon

12. Washington Mystics: Te'a Cooper, PG, Baylor

Second round

13. New York Liberty: Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, South Carolina, PF

14. Indiana Fever Kaila Charles, Maryland, SG

15. Dallas Wings Brittany Brewer, Texas Tech, C

16. Minnesota Lynx Crystal Dangerfield, UConn, PG

17. Atlanta Dream:, Leaonna Odom, Duke, PF

18. Phoenix Mercury: Jocelyn Willoughby, Virginia, SF

19. Seattle Storm: Kitija Laksa, Latvia (South Florida), SG

20. Los Angeles Sparks: Tynice Martin, West Virginia, SG

21. Dallas Wings: Haley Gorecki, Duke, SG

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Highposthoops.com has Joyner going 19th to Seattle and wbasketballblog projects her at #15 to Dallas.

3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I really think that is more realistic. She was an underachiever in all respects of her game at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

How good was Oregon???

5. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I wonder about LaShann’s chances. She, IMO, didn’t have an outstanding senior season most likely due to her previous year’s injury and slow rehab.

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Blockbuster trade today:
    The New York Liberty announced today that the team has acquired guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, the 12th Overall Pick in the 2020 Draft, and 2021 First, Second and Third Round Picks from the Washington Mystics in exchange for center Tina Charles.

In addition, the Liberty acquired guard Tayler Hill along with the No. 9 and 15 picks in the 2020 WNBA Draft from the Dallas Wings in exchange for the Mystics’ 2021 First Round Pick (acquired in Charles deal) and New York’s own 2021 Second Round Pick.

That would give the Mystics a starting 5 of:
    PG Natasha Cloud
    SG Ariel Atkins
    SF Elena Delle Donne
    PF Emma Meesseman
    C Tina Charles

7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Can someone tell me how Dallas benefits from this?

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

They still have picks 2, 5 and 7 in the 1st round. I expect them to make at least 1 more trade before the draft but you’re right, other than redistributing so many picks from this year, not a lot for them.

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

@brnkj

Just saw this in another article about the trade:
    The Wings, who had five of the first 15 picks in the draft before the trade, had a potential roster crunch. A team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster and Dallas would have been over that number on draft night.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Highposthoops nailed it. Joyner goes 19th to Seattle.

• Like Like x 6
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sug was selected with the final pick of the draft (3rd round) by the WNBA Champs, the Washington Mystics. At least she’ll know someone in training camp.

• Like Like x 6
  12. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I think we will see Sug in the WNBA even if it takes her a couple of years. The coronavirus could play havoc though with the previous path of playing overseas and working on your game while trying to break into the WNBA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  14. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

This goes to show how bad Karen Aston and her staff are at developing players. Amazing people but not good at developing.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This tweet piqued my curiosity:
    1. Sabrina Ionescu - 4
    2. Satou Sabally - 36
    3. Lauren Cox - 1
    4. Chennedy Carter - 6
    5. Bella Alarie - 83
    6. Mikiah Herbert Harrigan - 72
    7. Tyasha Harris - 28
    8. Ruthy Hebard - 40
    9. Megan Walker - 1
    10. Jocelyn Willoughby - 48
    11. Kitija Laksha - international player
    12. Jazmine Jones - 43
    The tweet might be downplaying HS rankings but every player was at least ranked in the Top 100 except the little known Latvian player.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

This is where I lament the lack of development during the Aston era. Joyner Holmes, #1 or #2 in her H.S. class according to all recruiting services, was drafted #19.

Sug Sutton was #6 (ESPN)/#10 (ProspectsNation) in the same H.S. class was drafted #36.

Thankfully Coach Vic and staff have a history of developing players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Joyner was a different player after her suspension. She would be lights out in one game, then sleepwalk through a few. It appeared that if things didn't go right early in the game, she quit. I'm not sure that this can be blamed completely on Coach Aston. You look at Celeste and Charli - they are in the game from start to finish.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Joyner has #1 or #2 type physical ability, but a #200-ish head to go with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Agree CreakyHorn, that Joyner's lack of development can't all be blamed on Aston. But Aston has to be BIG part of it, because what can explain Sug's lack of development also?

• Winner Winner x 2
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

God, I'm sick of this Karen bashing. She's gone now, will you ever let up? It is ****ing rude. Coaches do not determine every aspect of what happens in a player's career, and, why do you give such credence to those high school rankings? That was years ago and those were just people's best guesses at that time. I think Vic will do well, but if not what this bunch wants fast enough, then he will be the one who can't "develop" players. To more of an extent than you might think, players develop themselves, with coaching staffs there to help, of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

If Joyner had ever been able to shoot layups consistently, she would be a much higher draft pick. To blame her shooting problems on Karen Aston is complete bull. Can you give credit, then, to Karen for teaching Brooke and Lashann and Ariel and all our good shooters their skills? People have different bodies, a different feel for the ball, use their muscles differently. Much of that is a gazillion hours of practice, of course, but a lot of it is simply innate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The tone of this board has become much more unified since the coaching change. While I agree that the bashing of KA is now a moot point, you really don't get to tell people what they can and can't say. When you do, there we go with the back and forth quarreling all because someone's opinion was attacked (in this case by you). Furthermore, while KA is THANKFULLY gone, the fact that players did not reach their full potential under her watch is relevant as it relates to the topic of this particular thread. But again, I do agree as I find it best to give her a rest, be glad she's gone, and focus on the new chapter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

You're right, I can't tell you what to say and you can't tell me what to say. My comment was that why are people still beating Karen to death? How much hatred did they build up that they keep having to vent it even now? She did a lot of good things for our program, the sweet 16's, the elite 8. Yes, I agree with you on this, focus on the new chapter. If Karen wants to keep coaching, I hope she finds something she likes, likewise Jamie and that great post coach (can't think of his name.) In my opinion, there is a very small chance that there will be any basketball next year anyway. I expect this board to become fairly dormant pretty soon. Sure hope I'm wrong.

25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I wish KA the best and think she'll be a good coach for the right fit if she desires to continue in that career field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

JoeDallas, the reason I mentioned Joyner and Sug is because the post immediately before discussed where the players ranked coming out of HS and where they were drafted.

1. Sabrina Ionescu - 4
    2. Satou Sabally - 36
    3. Lauren Cox - 1
    4. Chennedy Carter - 6
    5. Bella Alarie - 83
    6. Mikiah Herbert Harrigan - 72
    7. Tyasha Harris - 28
    8. Ruthy Hebard - 40
    9. Megan Walker - 1
    10. Jocelyn Willoughby - 48
    11. Kitija Laksha - international player
    12. Jazmine Jones - 43
    And it got me thinking about our Longhorns. So it was very relevant to the discussion on the board. Sorry, if you don't like having discussions regarding WNBA draft positions. Just scroll to the next one. No hard feelings.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  27. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Of course, no hard feelings. But it interesting how little correlation there is between high school rankings and WNBA draft pick order, looking at that list which was posted above. Doesn't look like a Karen thing to me, looks more like a universal, random thing. Those high school rankings are just not great predictors of who WNBA coaches are going to draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  30. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Disappointing indeed. But should not be surprised.

• Agree Agree x 2