wokeness poll

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Sep 13, 2022.

?

What do you think about Disney's decision to remake The Little Mermaid with a black Ariel?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2022.
  1. Wokeness like this is destroying America.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. I don't care enough to have a reaction.

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. It is a heartwarming story, but doesn't really make a difference.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. After all of the virtue signaling coming out of Disney, they are finally doing something meaningful.

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Disney released a trailer for a live-action Little Mermaid remake, with a black Ariel. Countless videos of little girls reacting to the trailer are going viral. I'm curious to see how the HornFans community feels about this.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

You could substitute Korean or Mexican or whatever else for black and it would be the same - changing a film/character for a different audience
    If the new audience likes it then it's good
    It's only controversial if someone wants to make it that way

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  3. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

My only issue is that it feels like intentional social engineering. Just like Biden picking a black female running mate or SCOTUS Justice. The continued focus on race is dividing the country further and further. That said, its the little mermaid. BFD!

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm pretty anti-woke, but I honestly don't care. This is a fictional story, and though the original Ariel character was white, her race wasn't an important facet of her character. After all, it's a mermaid ffs. Who cares if she's white or black? It also doesn't inject adult themes into children's entertainment, like for example a lesbian or transgender Ariel would.

I think it's worse to portray real people as a different race from what they actually were. It's intentionally inaccurate, and it's being done for a silly reason. And of course, we'd never be consistent about it. A black dude can play George Washington, but if Tom Cruise had played Malcolm X, people would have lost their ****. But even this is a pretty small concern and frankly a matter of personal opinion, which I totally subordinate to the artist's right to write or film what he or she wants. If I want to patronize the artist's work, I can, and if I don't want to, I don't have to.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You guys are missing the bigger story. Ariel is 16 years old during the story (recall the sweet 16 birthday scene) and then goes out and gets in an unequal relationship with a man. This is the story of Harvey Weinstein and grooming of young girls who move to Hollywood to be stars.

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  6. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

who watches this zhit, anyway?

We've been casting white guys as Othello the Moor for four hundred years.

And are we sure all mermaids are white? Wait a minute! I've never ever ever seen a mermaid

• Like Like x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Huis
    Why were white men cast as Othello?

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Because we are all racist, of course.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Casting customs and availability?

desdemona was played by a man for years before English theaters started using female actors. Black actors were pretty rare for a few centuries. Paul Robeson played Othello in the thirties

and of course there was racism

I recently read an article saying Othello was Moorish, not black and so an Arab or Berber should play him.
    But mermaids?

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We all have our kinks.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Historically the best Olympic swimmers have been white so the odds seem to favor a White mermaid. Why not compromise and make her a racially ambiguous mer-person?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

that should be "mer-per-daughter" shouldn't it?

13. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Why not tell the story about a black mermaid named Miriel? It is a racist assumption that only "white" characters have value that must then be changed to other races. It is also racist to say it is a good thing to change the race of character in order to improve equity, justice, etc. It is also super lazy by the production company. It is what talentless, racist, petty people do to try to make money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I just wonder what it will be next to pander to the woke crowd. Black Judy Garland in OZ? Snow Black?

Why can't we just have an original story with a black lead character? Why do we have to change history and beloved characters to please the woke crowd?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I think it's dumb because only white fictional characters can be changed to a minority. Let's see Black Panther played by a white dude here in the 2020s. Saying in the past whites played minority roles isn't the same argument. We know they weren't hired then due to their skin color, and that was wrong. Treating white actors less now is equally wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Lol!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How about Yellow Snow for the Asian audience?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

A fair criticism. I think it's pretty clear that Hollywood (including Disney) is running out of ideas. That's why we're seeing remakes, reboots of old TV shows, and sequels of movies from the '80s (like Top Gun and Indiana Jones). There's nothing wrong with doing that to a point. It can be charming and nostalgic. However, they're doing it a lot, and it's getting ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Disney has plenty of idea (yes singular). Remake an old film, but this time someone's gay in it! For all we know, Ariel in the Little Mermaid might have a lesbian sister or transgender brother.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I recommend Robert Downey Jr in black face. That would promote equity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Believe it or not, it isn't a lack of ideas. It is a function of the financing systems for movies. Pretty much all production companies only fund projects that have a certain ROI and certain level of gross sales. It pushes movie makers to do things that made money in the past and with characters they have proof audiences like. Good Will Hunting for example wouldn't be made today unless by GiveSendGo or Angel Studios. It is a more centrally planned, regulated type of industry than it was even 20 years ago.

22. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Only a matter of time before Tropic Thunder is canceled. The last white washing incident I can think of is 2017's Ghost in the Shell where Scarlett Johansson played an Asian.

23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

From the company standpoint, it is good if it creates more sales of the reproduction. Otherwise, someone is updating their resume.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I didn't vote because I think there should be a response between its destroying America and I don't care. I'll refrain from my official opinion because I've probably mentioned it 50 times over here.