Women All-Americans

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Aug 10, 2018.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Hey all, I'm using the Texas WBB thread because it tends to be more active than the softball or volleyball threads.
    Help me out here. I'm going to write Chris DelConte an email asking him to seriously consider putting up jerseys or
    placards or some sort of recognition for our great women players. A few years ago, Plonsky was asked why the women
    players didn't rate a jersey in the Erwin Center, her lame response was, "We just don't do it that way".

DelConte is extremely receptive to new ideas, as you may have been reading about all the changes he's done, including
    replacing coaches and changing football game day. I've personal exchanged 2 emails with him that have led to further
    discussions with his staff (about food offerings at the stadium).

So, I'm going to approach him with a list of women All-Americans and say, "How come Kevin Durant, with one year at UT
    gets a jersey and all these others get nothing but applause when they come back for alumna day?"

I want to say these women were at least 2-time All Americans:

Softball
    Cat Osterman - 3 times player of the year

Basketball
    Linda Waggoner - 3
    Kamie Ethridge - 2
    Andrea Lloyd - 3
    Clarissa Davis - 2
    Edwina Brown - 2
    Stacey Stevens - 2
    (my source is: Texas Longhorns women's basketball - Wikipedia)

Any others for....swimming, track, soccer?

• Like Like x 2
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don’t disagree about recognizing some of the great WBB players in UT History but someone once told me that they hang jerseys for players who were named National Player of the Year - hence KD.

3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

But there are two other jerseys there as well. Plonksy just makin' stuff up on the fly. And then think of the names of the football players inside DKR.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I assume T.J. Ford is one of the other 2 - also a national player of the year.

5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

True, forgotten about that. And the other one is some dude from the 40's only our grandparents remember.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The recognition needs to be at the stadium so soccer and track would go up at Myers and softball at McCombs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yes, but I'm only using the Erwin center as an example of my goal to get recognition for each sport.

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Great idea, racer!
    As per the example, if only NPOYs jerseys are hung, why are the following players jerseys up?
    From the WBB fact book:

• Like Like x 2
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

There you have it. If what I was told was true about hanging jerseys then this is criminally overdue.

• Like Like x 4
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Part of my letter to Del Conte (sorry for the formatting, this is a screen scrape)

Now, the main issue I hope you'll take some time to consider is gender equality when it comes to women's sports.
    UT was famous/infamous for not putting up permanent monuments or tributes to our former athletes. This started
    changing as UT became to put up jerseys in the Erwin Center, statues on the grounds of DKR, and names and
    jersey numbers on the sides of DKR.

When it was asked why the names were put up, an excuse was that they were meant for those who achieved
    such a high level of athletic success such as National Player of the Year or Heisman awards. And when
    it was asked why the women were not similarly recognized it was fumbled with the response, "That's not the policy".

We look up at the Erwin Center and we see Slater Martin, TJ Ford, and Kevin Durant. The last two, were NPOY.
    The first one? I have no idea why he's up there other than someone had a soft spot for Mr. Martin.

Let me tell you that UT had a women's NPOY with the name of Kamie Ethridge. And in softball, you do
    know that Cat Osterman was a THREE TIME National Player of the Year?

I know that football drives the bus in revenue. And to be blunt, the jerseys were put up in the Erwin Center to
    help with recruiting. Hopefully, your fresh eyes can see that the women athletes should also be accorded
    the same respect as the men.

• Like Like x 3
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Let us know how they respond. I might’ve added that Kamie played on the first undefeated NCAA Division I women's basketball team (34–0) and won the national championship.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not to mention that the women actually have three NPOY award winners and having those names/jerseys hung up can also help just as much with recruiting as it does with the men.

• Like Like x 2
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Clarissa Davis = 2x Naismith POY
    Edwina Brown = Wade Trophy

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

All three, Kamie, Clarissa and Edwina won the Wade Trophy, the first ever National Player of the Year award. Nowadays, I believe there are multiple NPOY awards.

• Like Like x 2
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Nice to reminisce about the days when we had the best player in the nation. I once had hopes that Joyner Holmes would develop into a similar player:
    Clarissa Davis - Wikipedia

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I still believe that.

• Like Like x 5
  17. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Great idea. First the majority of responses are correct. The running line usually has been that we retire the jerseys of national players of the year. On the men’s side, that’s why you see slater Martin, TJ & KD.

Clarissa certainly fits that bill from both the 87, 89 seasons. I don’t know if the mudslinging that occurred in the past had anything to do with it not being done yet, but if it was it’s high time we put that behind us and give her what she’s earned.

• Like Like x 6
  18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't forget that there are others that fit that description for being honored besides Clarissa. Although she is certainly at the top of the list.

• Like Like x 1