Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by kjgirl, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

In case anyone is interested the Women's World Cup started this past weekend in Germany. The US women (you are tops in the world unlike the men) play Tuesday at 10:45am CT on ESPN.

2. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

ESPN3 Fail.

the site hasn't loaded for me all morning. [​IMG]

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

US won 2-0, but I would tap on the brakes before calling the US team the best in the world. Until proven otherwise, as defending champions the Germans are the best in the world. England might even be better than the US right now.

4. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

The US Women are ranked #1 but I agree that the Germans are favorites. The team can also pass the ball and play defense

Next game is Saturday morning

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Through today's games France has been the most impressive.

6. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

As of right now, down 1-0 to NZ, England looks terrible. The draw against Mexico looks awful as they got blasted by japan today.

7. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

UPDATE:

US beat Colombia, 3-0, but it should have been more like 6-0 or 7-0. Still, it gives the Americans 6 points, and the goal differential looks good.

[​IMG]

8. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

Game vs Sweden about to start, anybody watching live?

9. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

Tough lost today to Sweden, 2-1. We created A TON of chances and should have scored easily 3-4 goals. But that's just how it goes sometimes, something to build upon. Our defense was horrible today. LePeilbet giving away a silly PK. Later after giving away foolish foul, a goal is the result from the freekick after the ball takes a deflection off LePeilbet.

This result will put us in a BIG game against Brasil this weekend. Two powerhouses meeting so early in the knockout stages. Should be a cracker.

Go [​IMG]

10. midwayhorn

midwayhorn 100+ Posts

Hope Solo is smokin' hot.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unless someone learns how to play defense the team will be back in the States by Monday. The two Swedish goals were a direct result of either a failed defensive plan or player inaction. Either way, if they don't pick it up, Brazil will score 5 + on them.

12. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Well, it is a quarterfinal game. Its not THAT early. Two games to the championship game. Sucks that its Brasil, but with the men it was Spain/Portugal in the quarters I believe, and that did suck.

13. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

the brazil women are not that great, the US should beat them easy.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Brazil's not that great? They were runner up in the last cup and went undefeated in group play by a SEVEN goal margin. No other team was even close to that.

Our defense will need to crank it up to even stay in the game, much less win easily.

I think the US wins 2-1, but definitely not an easy victory.

Unless that group really sucks, Australia could be a surprise semi-finalist.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

16. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

In a surprise today host Germany was eliminated by Japan 1 - 0. England got eliminated by France in a close one decided by free kicks 5 - 4. Tomorrow USA plays Brazil and Sweden plays Australia.

17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Not looking good for the US so far. 75 minutes into the match and we only have 4 total shots. Brazil has scored twice....once for them and once for us. Thanks for that! I guess......

18. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Not a soccer fan at all but that header from Abby wambach was freaking awesome.

19. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Awesome win!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

No kidding. Pass from thirty yards out which the goalkeeper missed by about two inches to a woman just outside the goal box, even with the post. Scored in extra time awarded after Brazilian player does a clown routine in feigning injury.

US wins shootout, scoring all 5 attempts.

21. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

best. goal. ever.
    CLUTCH!!!!

skc

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

They finally decided to play when they went one player down. Now if they do not revert to their recent standard, they can take France.

23. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Tough to give out just one game ball. Hope Solo? Abby Wambach? Megan Rapinoe? Dainane?

As a side note . . . . . . . . F Brasilia. [​IMG]

The good news is that they have 4 years to recover from those horrific injuries they incurred over the final 15 minutes of the game. I'm not sure if Erika will ever walk again - well, other than her running off the gurney once they got out of play.

24. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

I kept thinking of the soccer ad for ESPN. Fitting for the last few minutes of the game.

25. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

One of the best futbol game I have ever watched. From near death to victory, simply amazing. We DERSERVED this win. Missed calls by the refs all day long against both teams, but thankfully it don't make a **** in the end. Hope was clutch today and so too was Abby when we needed her most, she delivered.

The part I enjoyed most was when the stadium, not all American fans, chanted chants of USA USA USA and booed every single time Marta touched the ball. A special thank you to Erika, without your "injury" we wouldn't have had that much stoppage time added. Karma is a *****!!!

Can't wait till Wednesday.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

Our USA team has "It" as Darrell Royal would call "It". Man-oh-man I wish I were in Deutschland where old time there are not forgotten. I'm taking off from work on Wednesday, at least for a few hours mid-day.

A 2 hour condensed replay tonight at 11:00p Central on ESPN 2. I'm recording it! Let me know if you missed it.

27. Dewbrewer

Dewbrewer 500+ Posts

That was a crazy match. Playing with 10 for about an hour and not conceding more goals is amazing. What an effort. [​IMG]
    Tourney is now wide open with Germany and Brazil out. [​IMG]

28. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

29. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

30. NorthCoastHorn

NorthCoastHorn 500+ Posts

Wow!

Hook 'em
    [​IMG]