Woodrow's Downtown Food

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by hookem2102, Sep 10, 2008.

1. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

Has anybody eaten at the new place that replaced Torchy's (RIP) ?

Any Good ?

2. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

WHAT??????? torchys is gone? who do i need to shoot?

3. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

are you sure it's gone?

maybe it was a wednesday and steak night when they move the torchy's trailer? I'm hooing that's the case

pls tell me you were there on a Wed??

4. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

I also heard the trailer was permantly gone from Woodrow's. I don't know why since it was a perfect marriage. They do have the new campus location.

5. unpaintedhuffhines

6. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

Yes, it's gone for good. The menu is curiously very similar. It's like they tried to copy the Torchy's menu but added a few other items (they have sliders now). If I were Torchy's I'd sue. They even have a steak fajita taco with egg in it.

To answer your question, the food is not nearly the same. Very bland and more expensive.

7. unpaintedhuffhines

first the Fatboys break up, now this

8. 6th&Congress

6th&Congress 25+ Posts

The game is canceled and now I hear about this... [​IMG]

9. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

Tell me about it. My buddies and I went there pretty much every Sunday for breakfast/lunch and a beer or 7. Besides the tacos, teh guac was the best i've had this side of the Rio Grande.

The last day it was open was Aug 23rd, they had fliers out announcing the move a couple weeks before. The impression I got was that the 2 couldn't agree on new lease terms, but I'm not for sure. The Torchy's trailer moved to the South Austin Trailer Park on South 1st where they are running business as usual. There is also supposed to be a hamburger trailer next to the Torchy's trailer.

Sucks.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

11. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"There is also supposed to be a hamburger trailer next to the Torchy's trailer."

I know Torchy's is entering the hamburger business. Maybe they are using the old Woodrow's trailer for this at their First Street location (which is still their best).

12. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

They moved both trailers a block south of the old S. 1st location on the same side of the street. More parking. I think it used to be a car lot. The old Woodrow's trailer is now called Shuggie's and they serve burgers and seafood. Gumbo, po-boys, etc. I haven't eaten there yet but plan on trying it sometime next week.