Working at Dell (Roundrock) and living by campus

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by texlaxal, Dec 6, 2005.

1. texlaxal

texlaxal < 25 Posts

I am graduaitng this semester and starting at Dell on Feb 20th. However my lease on some west campus property doesnt end until August, does anyone make a similar drive, and what are you normal travel times in the morning and evening. Thanks

2. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

you're ging against traffic in the morning so it's not that bad

evenings you will run into some traffic around 51st ST exit and I-35, but that's not far from campus so it's not bad

of course, this is assuming no wrecks

travel time in morning is about 15-20 minutes and evenings 20-25

3. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

welcome my son / welcome to the machine

4. texlaxal

texlaxal < 25 Posts

Thanks

5. BNB

BNB 250+ Posts

When I worked at Dell like 8 years ago and lived near downtown, it took me an hour and half on fridays. I moved up there for a year, but that was one of the worst decisions I ever made.

6. SouthernGent

SouthernGent 100+ Posts

poor bastard. You have no idea what you are in for.

[​IMG]

7. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

My only advice would be to find another job. You will thank me later.

8. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

One of my sons has been a line worker at Dell for about 3 years and thinks it's just fine. But then again, he has an excellent work ethic and likes overtime.

9. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I live off of William Cannon, and used to drive to dell every day. It's 40 minutes from my place in the morning, leaving at 7:30. There's traffic northbound until about the river, so you're probably ok there. Coming home took about an hour, leaving Dell at 5:00 to 5:30, with traffic starting anywhere from 51st to as far south as the split. But there will be traffic - I recommend 51st street over to Lamar or Guadalupe.

It's not terrible. I get books on CD and listen in the car - it's a good hour of study time to learn the real estate game.

10. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

I'll echo what everyone else here said: no traffic except on Fridays. Of course, I teach in Round Rock so I got off work a little earlier than you would.

11. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Bayou, My SIL also teaches in Round Rock. I believe she is the longest tenured employee in RRISD (since 1967).

12. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I have an interview with Dell tomorrow.