World Beat Cafe - African Food

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Campus Loop(y), Sep 6, 2003.

1. I was craving some Sega Wott (Ethiopian food) all day long and just got my fill. Absolutely delicious and filling. Great flavors, textures and spice if wanted. They serve food from Nigeria, Ghana and Ethiopia among other places. They supposedly have the best Veggie Burgers in town.

I made a thread when they first opened and several folks tried it and pm'd me it was good. Might as well plug it again. My tummy is so very happy and full now. Give it a shot.

They are located at the corner of MLK and Nueces. ChuMikal's used to be there and it is across the street from the two dry cleaners. The owner is Lawrence. Tell him his Twin Brother sent you...me. Not really his twin, btw. [​IMG]

2. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Ate there my freshman year. It was pretty darn good, but I havn't been back in 2+ years, so I guess it wasn't great. Or maybe I'm just a mexican food and barbeque homer.

3. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

I lived 1/2 a block from there during school... wish I had stopped by more often because they have great food. Believe it or not their burgers are pretty good, too (and cheap). Tell you what, though, it's tough to walk there without going the extra 100 yards to Bert's.

4. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

do you get flies and a side of AIDS with your food there?

5. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

Only if you order a bowl of UNIMIX and Sally Struthers brings it to your table.

6. Uh no. The food is tasty and such. I don't think you would enjoy cracks on your nations cuisine...maybe you wouldn't but all the same, not cool. It was funny, in jr. high.

7. Horn_Dynasty

Horn_Dynasty 25+ Posts

I'd take flies over reaking of curry.

8. adi_7_anand

adi_7_anand 100+ Posts

that sounds interesting CL, i have never tried any of those countries' cuisine, what do you recommend? is that near Mars restaurant near the dog n duck?

9. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

I actually though FB's comment was funny. Of course, I aint right in the head, so whatever.

10. adi....it is on MLK just West of where Nueces dead ends. It is across the street from Jack Brown Cleaners. I would try the Ethiopian first. Check your pm's.

11. adi_7_anand

adi_7_anand 100+ Posts

cool, thanks!

12. Ate there tonight, yum. Turns out they were voted second best vegetarian place after Veggie Heaven. Not bad considering all the good old fashioned meat dishes they have there. It rocks. Try it but only if you like good food. [​IMG]

13. BurntOrangeOrder

BurntOrangeOrder 100+ Posts

Their burgers were good, cheap, and close to 21st Street Co-op. I didn't try the African quisine because quite frankly, I'm a very picky eater.

14. UGA_Austin

UGA_Austin First Time Poster

I still get a kick out of the fact Americans eat "Ethiopina Food". What the hell is that.....a can of bugs with a side of dirt??? Have any of you ever been to Ethiopia? They certainly don't eat any of the stuff that we are served in Ethiopian restaraunts. I guess "Ethiopian Food" is what they WOULD eat should it really exist. Let's help them make their dreams become reality. We should fly some Ethiopians to America to taste their own food for the first time. It would be funny as **** if they didn't like it! HA

15. Are you kidding or just being ignorant. I suppose you are an expert on Ethiopia, their history and culture. Well, my a friend of mine who is a professor is from there as are several of my friends. In fact, what we get here is only a sampling that our palete can handle. We Americans are generally very ignorant when it comes to being open minded w/ culture and cuisine. Don't know why, we just are.

I would recommend that you don't try it. My hunch is that you won't like it judging by your words. Are you, by chance, from Vidor or Orange? But thanks. Your post was most important to this thread. [​IMG]