World Cup Bracket TV Schedule

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by NBHorn7, Jun 11, 2014.

1. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I guess Germany isn't totally invincible as they need a late goal to get a draw with Ghana at 2-2.

A win over a struggling Portugal sends the USA through to the next round. It also means Germany still has something to play for when they play the USA.

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Would the U.S. advance with a tie against Portugal?

3. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Negative, a draw with Portugal would mean this:

USA------4 points
    Germany-4 points
    Portugal-1 point
    Ghana---1 point

With only a 3 point differential and a loss to Germany, a win by Portugal or Ghana in their game would would tie the United states at 4 points and then it comes down to goal differentials to advance.

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

USA 2 Portugal 2 and if you needed a game to show you how incredible and emotional and back and forth futbol can be this was it. It was awesome and devastating and freaking unbelieveable at times.

The USA got the point it needed but at the gun missed on a chance to advance with the full three when the pretty boy had his single moment of brilliance. What a game. I am sick to my stomach at the finish but the USA did what it had to do and got a point. Thursday will be fun as there are a ton of ways the USA advances and sadly still some ways we dont. [​IMG]

5. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Don't see a way the USA can draw or win against Germany?

Not so fast there Franz.

There is a big reason to get a draw against the Fatherland.
    A draw is all the Germans need to advance as the top team in the group because of goal differential.

Now the "beautiful game" has a not so beautiful past when it comes to this situation. That's the problem with this set up with ties possible.

Coach's faced with this scenario have been known to agree to have a nice 90 minute romp on the pitch where there is no risk of injury and eveybody wins with a draw so to speak.

Germany says,"Atung USA, you weren't supposed to get out of this group alive, so let us advance as the #1 team and you get to advance." "You are tired and beat up and we are giving you an offer you can't refuse." "If you don't agree, then to paraphrase your American icon "Spider Ag,"
    we are going to sawdeemize you with a soccer ball.'

Also the coach of the USA was a player for what country?
    Oh, it was Germany now wasn't it.

I think a draw is not only possible, but very likely whether intentional or maybe only semi-intentional.

If not then the USA needs a draw between Ghana and Portugal or a narrow win by Portugal because of the goal difference.

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The USA might need Al Michaels and a miracle against Germany.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

3 concacaf teams to round of 16. Great showing and perhaps a shot at one or two quarterfinalists too.

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Round of 16 matchups and predictions in capitals:

Today:
    BRAZIL v. Chile (Tough match for Brazil and upset alert strong here)
    Uruguay v. COLOMBIA (No Suarez for Uruguay) means Colombia to Quarters

Tomorrow:
    NETHERLANDS v. Mexico (Herrera's run ends here)
    Greece v. COSTA RICA (Ticos with great shot to advance)

Monday:
    FRANCE v. Nigeria (French looked strong thus far)
    GERMANY v. Algeria (Germans most solid team thus far)

Tuesday:
    ARGENTINA v. Switzerland (Messi gets Argies through)
    UNITED STATES v. Belgium (Maybe more heart than brain but i do think USA has great shot here)

9. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

It's hard to imagine the pressure of a World Cup penalty shoot out. I used to get butterflies before high school games in front of empty stands. Poor Chile.

10. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Chili gets to round of 16 and can't hit a penalty shot.

Found a website that says upper third is the highest percentage to aim for than the lower third. The Link "The Science of Soccer On Line" July 2009

11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Best World Cup ever for Concacaf as Costa Rica makes the quarterfinals. Mexico was 8 minutes away from joining them before their meltdown. USA can make it 2 Concacaf teams to quarters for first time ever Tuesday.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Quarterfinals begin today. I like Brazil, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium to semi's.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You're half way there.

14. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Brazil wins the battle but probably loses the war as Neymar is done for tournament and Silva misses the Germany match on a second yellow.

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Dream Final Four of Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Netherlands.

The semis match the UEFA teams with the Conmebol teams with the Europeans having a distinct advantage in each due to injuries and accumulation of yellows for the South Americans. I got 7 of 8 in the round of 16 and 3 of 4 in the quarters missing each time in the match involving the Belgians so take this for what its worth but I like Germany and the Dutch to advance.

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I bet that Brazilian wax was quite painful. For the ones getting waxed that is.

17. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Germany absolutely curb stomped Brazil. Brazil was probably going to lose anyway but no Silva and no Neymar meant no hope and they played like it the whole game. interesting tomorrow to see how Argentina plays or may have first ever European champion in a western hemisphere Cup.

18. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

I did Nazi that one coming.

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Holland fails to score for second straight match and this time loses the PK shootout. Argentina v. Germany in final. I like the Germans but i have missed on at least one game in every elimination round so bet heavily on the argies.

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Germany wins 1-0. The best team in tournament won but wow did Argentina have a couple of huge chances that they made a mess of. 4 years to Russia 2018 but Copa America 2016 is in the USA and will be a blast.

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Despite the ref's trying VERY hard to give the match to Little Italy, er, Argentina, zee Germans prevailed!

22. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Well I picked this one a month ago and got it right so the Germans add this to their U.S. Open win and are on a roll.

Poland better watch their borders as the Fatherland is all jacked up again on victories. [​IMG]