Worried about Maryland...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Worse. Not only did D/ST score 21 and offense 20 (or maybe it was the other way around, but which TD had the missed extra point doesn't really matter), but 7 of the points our offense scored were in the final minute when the game was already over. They only put up 2 TDs and 0 FGs while the outcome was in doubt.

Didn't they have their 2nd or 3rd string QB last year too?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I probably like this figure the best. Our offense was worse than anemic when we faced good defenses last year. But against weak defenses we put up some points (Marlyand 41; San Jose St. 56; Baylor 38; Kansas 42). This is Maryland's first game of the year too. That's a lot of new starters working in.

The Maryland game was an aberration for our defense. First game in a new system etc. After that we held good teams to low totals (USC 17 in regulation; Oklahoma 29; OSU 10 in regulation; W. Va. 14; tech 27). We held all teams other than Maryland under 30 in regulation. All of them.

35+ points and we should win. The D will probably struggle a little in its first game, on the road, and against a good and experienced Maryland offense. But at the end of the day a talent advantage and an experienced Texas team will prevail.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

My concern is that I didn't see any evidence last year that we're capable of shutting down a spread running attack like Maryland has. A QB with speed and good ball skills is always worrisome, and other than Kansas State, I'm not sure we saw another team last year that fits that bill. And we didn't exactly shut them down, either.

I'm definitely worried that this game turns into a game where we need 30 points to win. If it does... I'm sorry, but I've heard too many hype-fests coming out of preseason to believe this offense is one shred better than last year until I actually see it live against a team wearing different uniforms.

4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Not much fun being a Longhorn fan when threads like this are not a joke.

I'm not worried about Maryland. I'm worried about who the next Texas coach will be if we lose to their sorry asses again.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mike Gundy :hookem2:

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I know Gundy is a MAN!

But what do you know we don't ?

9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'm still unsure why the offense didn't get more blame for that game last year. I watched from real good seats. The defense did plenty to lose it no doubt, but for all the hoopla over Maryland's offense (which looked pretty good to me) and our defense, Maryland's defense looked like the weakest unit on the field (short of our field goal unit). I was frustrated with opportunity after opportunity squandered by an offense (and quarterback) that just looked terrible.... division II level..and continually put pressure back on the defense, which clearly wasn't prepared either.
    I think it is totally warranted to be concerned about Maryland....as our offense may very well still be a work in progress week 1. It is college football...13-10 games are rare...teams score. You have to have an offense that can move the ball, control momentum, and score consistently. How many 3rd and 2's did we throw up on last year in that game?

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I love reading threads like this. :popcorn:

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worster,

I don't want to threadjack, but he was one of my three choices when Herman was hired. Make no mistake, Herman was my first choice, and I cut him slack, but thus far, I am underwhelmed. Yes, he faced some really huge mountains to climb, but the common sense issues really bother me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. WorsterMan

OK, makes sense.

13. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Do not let 4-8 fool you. Not only did they lose their first two QBs and suffer numerous injuries last year, they drew UCF and the best two teams in the Big 10 West (Northwestern and Wisconsin) on their schedule.

I am in the camp that if they do not suffer so many terrible injuries, Maryland wins 7 or more games last year. They lost their starting QB to us and their backup QB in the first quarter against UCF. Unfortunately we get them at full strength again. Like posters said above, this time will not be Herman’s first game and our coaches and team should have their act together.

Durkin is a good coach at a basketball school who just had horrible luck and schedule last year and plays in one of the toughest divisions (Big Ten East with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State) in football.

With an easier non conference schedule and an easier draw of Big Ten West teams, Maryland has a shot of doubling their win total from last year if they can stay healthy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. LonghornCatholic

Doesn't really explain how that makes Gundy a great hire for Texas. Herman has underwhelmed us therefore Gundy wouldn't?

Maybe he would be great, but I'm just not seeing it.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Create your own scenario as you wish. One has proven he can do more with less in a fairly undesirable location.

The other has yet to prove anything. Hopefully this year will be the beginning of a legacy making career for him.

16. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

17. LonghornCatholic

Wow. Things brewing up in Maryland. Interesting read.

Oh btw, I was only replying to the scenario created and presented by...................

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sabre must be mellowing in his old age. Stoolwater is just as big of a dumpster fire as collie station.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Notice no comment from Mr Plank. UMd is a poor school with a one man athletic department - Kevin Plank - think T Boone and oSu or for older readers Bum Bright and aTm. Nothing, including punishment happens until Plank wants it to happen.

20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  21. WorsterMan

22. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

wow

23. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

So, a player dies at Maryland and staff is put on administrative leave and there's no outcry for the head coach to be fired for such an awful thing to happen under his watch (to review, someone died).

At Ohio State, somebody's wife may have been abused. Urban's lost control and should be fired. He's immediately put on paid leave while we sort out what could possibly have gone wrong at Ohio State for such a heinous act to have even possibly occur (to review, everyone's alive).

What's the difference between the two situations? Title IX, folks.....someone that's not male might have been injured physically or emotionally. Can't have it, no how, no way.

Either there needs to be a title X for the not female athletes or at least everyone should try and pretend there is one and give a damn when something like this occurs.

• Like Like x 2
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ohio State has money, UMd does not. Plank chose the coach, and Plank will decide when he leaves regardless of where the blame is placed. Remember the situation in McLennan County? Payoff & no media coverage. Nobody cared about Baylor then; nobody cares about UMd now.

• Like Like x 1
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is hard to ignore the contrast. Is it the male versus female world at play here? We are expected to "man-up." Is it money? The fact is that Ohio State is very powerful as is Urban Meyer yet he is on the sidelines. I'm not sure I understand what is happening anymore.

26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Does Durkin have a history of players dying at previous jobs?
    Does he bring an assistant involved in the deaths along when he changes jobs?
    Has Durkin publicly lied about the death in a press conference?
    Just because a death seems more serious than spousal abuse doesn't mean Durkin had anything to do with it or has handled the situation badly.
    He may not deserve a suspension.
    Two different situations that can't be painted with such a broad stroke.

Although, here's an interesting nugget.
    Durkin coached under Meyer at Bowling Green and Florida. :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

To be fair, the same could be said about Herman (at UH), although on a much smaller timeline. Agree that Gundy does a fine job in Stillwater.

28. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Back to the earlier UT coaching discussion....One can speculate on other coaching options we've had and what may or may not have been (though I don't think it benefits the program)...
    But I do not see any legitimate reasons anyone should be upset with Herman nor disappointed at this juncture.
    People are waaay too impatient these days.
    Having said this...I, too, take great notice of those who can do more with less in CFB (as Herman did at Houston).
    I'm just ready like all of you to see someone (Herman) do more with more.

• Like Like x 2
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

While Herman's game brain farts are very worrisome, I believe everyone is still suffering in varying degrees from what can be called Strongitis. The absolute demolishing of Texas' recruiting efforts in Texas aside, it was obvious from the mid-point of his first season that Strong was in over his head on the level Texas competes. The Strong experiment lasted 3 years and set Texas back at least 4 years. Herman then comes in spends a lot of money (much of it needed when Strong was hired) but then fails on the field (6-6 record is a failure at Texas) due to HIS brain farts in the SC, ou, and Tech games. The issue is after Strong no one wants to waste another 3 years on a coach that wasn't ready for the big time. Unfortunate (and probably unfair) for Herman, but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts