Worst Feeling in a Football Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Oct 10, 2021.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

The worst feeling in a football game is when your team scores an amazing "game winning", or "game tying" touchdown with 1:00 left on the game clock, and instead of feeling exhilaration, the first thought that comes to your mind is: "Holy Crap, we scored too early! We will never stop them from driving down the field!"

This was me yesterday. Leaves a pit in your stomach.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I understand the sentiment, but you do realize we had to score to tie the game, right? It's not like we could milk the clock and win it at the last second. Even if we went to OT, we'd have to stop them at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I'm referring to our last touchdown that tied the game at 48-48. I knew there was no way we would see over-time. OU would either score a chip-shot FG, or a TD. Guess what happened.

To your point, we probably should have gone for 2 to go up 49-48. At least there would have been a chance for a win with a missed OU field goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Basically what I'm saying is that with our defense, no lead or tie is ever secure. Normally, you could tie the game with 1:00 left and expect to go to over-time. Not with this defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Defense is horrible but so was offense in 2nd half. Frustrating that Sark doesn’t make a change at QB for a change. Should have went to Casey in Q3 in Arkansas, should have went to Card in 2nd half yesterday. See OU last 2 years.

• Disagree Disagree x 14
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Casey is about the last thing to blame this loss on. Guess what, when you're running for you life you have to throw a lot of balls away and there goes your completion %. Just ask Tony Romo. Hudson would've been a deer in the headlights and taken 3-4 more sacks.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Yes we did need to score but we also had to milk the clock. I don't know what down it was when we threw for the td to worthy but we should have just gotten a first down. Then a few short passes then go for the td. Then maybe oklahoma would only have 10 to 20 seconds left. Thats in a perfect world. And this is not hindsight speech cause i was thinking this before we made the long throw to worthy. However i wasn't upset about the td. But i was thinking too much time was left. And so it was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

When you're trailing by a TD, you simply can't be all that selective re: when you score. The strategy you mention would certainly be sound IF the intention was to bleed clock, score with very little time remaining, go for 2 and the win. Otherwise, yes we would have successfully made it to OT, during which our D would still need to get a stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, in order to run clock you better have an offense that is having its way ----- we were not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brilliant idea. Let's take a QB whose release time is measured with an hourglass, and who can't read a defense, put him behind a line that couldn't whip the defensive line at Katy HS, and put him in front of 92,000 people to be carted off the field to Parkland.

Post of the Year and not in a good way.

FWIW, it should be, "should have gone"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Tough but fair

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you, Driver.

I sat in 107 and saw OL that should be paying tuition, LBs that should be sitting in 112 watching from $150 seats, DL that ain't in shape, but also some kids that played the best half of football I've seen from a Texas team in well over a decade.

BTW, someone explain to me where in Polish math you can spy a 4.3 QB with a 4.9 LB.

Also, is the wildcat not in the Polish binder?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, going for the end zone from the 30 with over a minute left was probably a mistake. You obviously can't time it to score right at 0:00 every time, but we needed to pick up 10-20 on that play, not the whole thing.

But then again if we just don't run that one stupid play at the end of the 3rd quarter for no reason, OU's final winning TD probably doesn't happen and they left trying a 50+ yard FG instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

There's NEVER a bad time to go for the endzone if it's there for the taking. The offense did it's job, the defense and K's scheme wouldn't be tolerated at Sam Houston State. K and the S&C crowd need to get their **** together or get their resumes updated.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

I agree with this sentiment, particularly the defense, but I still had an instant feeling that we scored too early. Along with my stand up elation for the good guys and Xavier

16. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

This post is too good, too funny and too spot on for me to just click an icon saying I agree. Love it!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Not that facts matter on the internet but one one of the reasons Card was named the starter was his release time, accuracy, and understanding of offense. We could also look at stats, Casey's QBR the last 2 weeks : 57.5 and 67.9 (including receivers bailing out those numbers). Making a change at QB when the starter is struggling isn't a knock on Casey or Card. It worked for OU last 2 years. Worked for Mack with Chance and Vince before Vince took over.

18. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

Agree 100% about the defense - they just needed to be average to win this game - we now have played 6 games and not sure what we are doing defensively except giving up numerous third and longs - reminds me of the Darnell days…..

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

L4UT,

We just played our sixth game of the year, and our defense (particularly LBs) is still looking to the sideline for the call while the offense is lined up to snap the ball.

20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I won't speak for Sabre, and I'm sure you're a lot smarter than he is, but I didn't see decision making on your list. I do know one thing though, there have been police officers that scored near perfect on the police academy exam, scored near perfect at the shooting range and then got killed in the heat of the moment because they froze up.

You should also go back and take a look at Colt McCoy's QBR against KSU in 2007 when he spent most of the game running for his life, and that OL was a lot better than what we have now.

21. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure why any blame is being put on Thompson for this loss. 5 freaking TDs, are you kidding?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Yep. He tied the record for most TD throws in the history of the Shootout. I'm not of a mind to tell you who he tied with – I just ate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think QBs to throw 4+ TD passes in this game are now 1-4. Thompson's loss a couple days ago. Bradford's loss in 2008. Kyler Murray's loss in 2018. Jason White's win in 2003. I think there was one other, but I can't find it now and Google sucks with sports stats for the most part.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This tells you all you need to know:

upload_2021-10-11_17-13-36.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Ditto on my post from last week. Hopefully with bye week Casey’s days are done and Hudson can start getting experience so he doesn’t transfer especially since he burned his season today.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Handler,

When they sent Card in for the one play. I immediately said to put Roschon in at QB or wildcat instead.

Putting Card in behind this OL borders on child abuse. The kid can't read the defense, stares down his receiver, and holds the ball too long, but with this OL, John Elway & Tom Brady would not be able to get the ball out quick enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  27. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Told the wife we have to go for 2. D was completely gassed. They could run wildcat and score every time in OT. You have to look at odds in football. Odds were best if we get a lead and that last FG would be into the wind. It was a 50 yarder before giving up 33 yds on a simple run play.

• Agree Agree x 1