Would Texas win by 31-points avg in Mountain West?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SomeMildLanguage, Nov 28, 2009.

1. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

John Saunders and Jesse Palmer suggested earlier that Texas, Alabama, and Florida would not win by 31 points on average in conference, as TCU did this year, if those three teams were in the Mountain West.

Seriously?

Even with the 3-point win over OU and 10-point win over A&M, Texas beat all opponents by 28 points per game this year and non-conference opponents by 40 points per game. The only Mountain West team Texas played (which is the exact median team in the Mountain West-- and a bowl team, to boot), Texas beat by 31 on the road.

I am glad TCU had a great year, but using their success to question whether Texas (and Alabama and Florida, for that matter) would be able to blow out Mountain West teams is getting beyond goofy.

2. HornInWville

HornInWville 25+ Posts

What a joke.

3. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

The real question is, would TCU be undefeated if Texas, Alabama and Florida were in the MWC. At least 2 of the 3 teams would average 31-point wins, and TCU would likely have 3 losses.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I personally feel that TCU could compete with the top three teams and give them all they could handle. I think I would be more concerned playing them than I would Alabama.

5. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

Postulating that Texas would score 31 in the Mountain west is almost as stupid as saying that Texas, Bama, and UF wouldn't score 31 in the mountain west.

Shoulda woulda coulda... but it didn't happen, so why discuss it?

6. ronthebassman

ronthebassman 25+ Posts

If TCU were in the Big 12 they would not have the depth to be undefeated down the stretch. Look at how worn out our team was against aggy this year and Tech last year.

7. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

8. Markstanco

Markstanco 100+ Posts

Again, if TCU wants to play in the big game, join a big conference. They should have their applications filled out and FedEx'd to the Pac 10 and Big 10 January 8th.

9. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

10. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

Could Texas win by an average of 31 per game- YES.

Would Texas win by that average- NO. Mack would take the foot off the accelerator and play 2nd and 3rd stringers the 2nd half of every game.

Passing off Iowa State to the Big 11 and adding TCU to the big twelve wouldn't be a bad idea.

11. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

TCU would not be undefeated in the Big12, SEC, Big 11, Pac 10, Big East etc

[​IMG]

12. UT Padrino

UT Padrino 100+ Posts

MWC > Big East (and maybe ACC). I think TCU would have a good chance of being undefeated in either league.

13. Markstanco

Markstanco 100+ Posts

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The MWC is ****. Everyone always says it's on par with the Big East or ACC because there's always an undefeated team each year. Take a guess why that team is undefeated. Other than Utah's great seasons, that conference has been downright abyssmal.

It's like the SWC in the waning years. Sure, they might have 3 halfway decent teams who could steal a win here and there. But top to bottom, the rest of the country knows that it's crap.

Hell, look at our unimpressive win over Wyoming. This team is the middle of the MWC pack, we "struggled" against them, and still walked out of Laramie with the one-sided scoreboard. Imagine the outcome if we gave a ****. Or, worse yet, if we played UNLV or SDSU?

I'm sick of the TCU love. The score would be the exact same as our 2007 game against them if we played today.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I went to the TCU game yesterday. TCU could not be competitive with: Texas, ou or NU. They would be more than competitive with aggy, sand aggy, okie lite and Mizzouri. TCU's offense just isn't equiped to deal with the large quick defensive linemen and LB's of the top teams in the Big XII.

However, I also watched the Utah/BYU game and all of the 7 Big XII teams listed above could average 31+ points playing in the MWC. TCU could be competitive in the Big XII. The MWC might be competitive with the Big East but not the ACC.

TCU's bowl pairing will be interesting. Their defesnse can probably do a good job on a team not known for offense (i.e. Alabama) but their offense will struggle with any pairing against the Big 10, SEC or Big XII.

16. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Texas has lost one game in two years in the Big 12. The toughest thing about the Mountain West would be the travel times. Please.

17. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

Some of you guys are too funny. Most have clearly not seen TCU play this year. This team is not the 2007 TCU team.

18. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Hey, from what I've seen of TCU, they look very strong, no doubt about it. I'm sorry to see them get screwed out of a shot at the MNC, but after what happened to us last year I don't care so much about TCU, Boise, or Cincy. Good for all of them. Enjoy your bowl game.

19. jdelatorre

jdelatorre 500+ Posts

How's that TCU sos now. Victories over # 14 and # 25. heh

20. Mike Maloney

Mike Maloney < 25 Posts

21. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

South Carolina beat Clemson by 17. Every game has to be put in context of the whole season.

22. 77horn

77horn 500+ Posts

23. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

24. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

25. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I didn't know that was a requirement for excellence, but who knows.
    Sorry, TCU, any argument you want to use, you still come out in third place for the Pasadena game. TCU/Boise/Cincy may all be damned good, but there is only two spots, and unless Texas stumbles in Dallas Saturday, those three will be on the outside looking in.