Would this offend you?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by ptownhorn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

Verifying a "cashiers check"

A friend of mine found me a woman that bought my motorcycle. She hands me the cashiers check and it looked like somebody printed straight from their PC.

It was very thin white paper. It had no perphirated end. It was not on the thicker colored paper. The bank logo was very small and the ink looked faded. There were no indentions from the type writer when they put the amount in there. There was no phone number on the check.

My buddy told me the lady almost backed out of the deal because I made her get the bank on the phone to verify

2. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Have you cashed the check yet?

3. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Given the the prevalence of scams involving forged cashiers checks, not at all.

4. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

just found out from my buddy that she asked him if i was a rascist. I'm white, she is black.

See, that's how **** gets turned around.

5. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

THATS RACIST!

6. joey

joey < 25 Posts

Don't blame you one bit. I look at so many fake money orders
    and cashiers checks every day that it just makes me sick. [​IMG]

7. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

you racist bastard.....its obvious that you made her call the bank because she is black.....I cant wait for people like you to die off so that we can all live in a peaceful world where nobody has to verify any information.

8. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

No. You don't drive a car off the lot without the dealership making sure you're good for the dough. This is no different.

9. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

10. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

Honestly, give the check back and tell her thanks but no thanks...if she's going to play that card this quick there's something wrong...

11. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

12. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

I wouldn't be offended. I did it many times when I was working in the apartment industry. Nothing personal, just business.

13. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i would be skeptical of anyone who is offended by monetary verification.

14. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

It's bull **** of her to call you racist. That's one of the many reasons that if I am selling something, it's quite clear that I am only taking cash.

15. CBT

CBT 100+ Posts

16. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

Yeah P,

If you havent already sold the bike, I would just say f**k it, give the check back and tell her good day.

If shes popping the racist card that quick over money verification of a motor vehicle, then she's the type to ******* sue you when she falls off the damn thing and breaks her leg, claiming you ****** up the bike before you sold it.

Not worth the hassle, even if you specifically put "Bike sold as with with no implied warranty" on your bill of sale.

Someone else whos less crazy will buy it from you.

And as for the original question, I wouldnt even bother taking the cashiers check without meeting them at the bank, watching them go in, and get the check right there at the counter. You read about cashiers check fraud all the time, and whats worse is the system sometimes takes 3-4 weeks to determine if the check is real or not- long enough for them to take off, never to be seen again and you being out the cash, the bike, oh yeah and charged $50 from your own bank because you accepted a fake check.

17. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Maybe you shouldn't have said, "I don't take checks from coloreds?"
    Really, how do you know if a cashier's check is faked? I worry about this issue, as well. Is it time to quit taking cashier's checks for vehicles?

19. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Perhphirated? (Token spelling police) [​IMG]

20. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

When you're talking green...no other color matters. F that B.

21. i agree with larry t spider. you're a god damn grand dragon aren't you?