Would you be more upset with your 16-yr-old if...

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Longhorn_Fan68, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

A) you caught them drinking?
    B) you caught them smoking pot?

2. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

I don't really see one being any worse than the other.

3. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

definitely pot and here is why.

first, let me start by saying that i am pro legalization and i am pro pot in general. i don't subscribe to the "gateway" drug theory either.

however, when you are talking about someone that age.... it is possible to lead to other things. the reason being is the other kids that are smoking and the people they are getting from (what type of responsible pot dealer would sell to someone under age) are possibly doing other drugs. that would be what would scare me. i would care less about the pot, but more the environment in which smoking pot was okay for a 16 year old.

this is coming from someone that smoked pot daily at 16 years old. wait until college. wait until you are just a little bit older to make deicisions like that.

just my .02.

4. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

5. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

So I have had plenty of both, and am also pro legalization (as if thats a real stance: will never happen).

Anyway, what I know now is how that could have f'd my life royally, either one, especially in combination with youthful exhuberance and stupidity. Just.too.much.risk.

That's right, keeping all the fun to myself.

6. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I'm pro-legalization.I think alcohol is worse for you than marijuana (from the studies I've read).

I would be more concerned with (B) you caught them smoking pot?

Also, I HATE smoking of any kind. And if smoking pot leads to smoking cigarettes, then I am even MORE anti-smoking pot than I would be.

[​IMG]

7. achooloco

achooloco 100+ Posts

the same on both. although i would be really pissed if my kid drunk and drove and i'd do everything within my power to have them stop smoking pot until they were at least 18. and i'd advise that only because i've found that in a pinch, nothing covers up pot smell like a cig. obviously not anywhere near fool proof but it helps.

and if weed is still illegal [​IMG] by the time i have kids, i'll tell them its only because of nylon and ignorant bigots from the 20th century. i'd still be mad at them if they did it before (and got caught) 18 but i wouldnt lie to them about its effects. i think weed should be legal at 18 and i'm ok with beer at 21 (even though any college age kid can get drunk) but obviously depends on the maturity of each individual.

8. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Same either way. Kid gets grounded until he's forty. [​IMG]

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

10. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

hornian:

there is no way the kid would end up with a conviction, if they had no criminal history.

11. 2farfromhome

2farfromhome 25+ Posts

For me it would be both. There is a time and a place for everything and it's called COLLEGE!

Honestly, I would think pot, because if you get caught with a bunch of beer, the punishment is pretty much the same as being caught with one beer. But if you get caught with a bunch of pot, they might put you in the pound-me-in-the-*** prison with murderers and child molesters, where-as if you have just a joint, you get a more lenient punishment. Frankly I don’t see much of a difference between the two, but the law does.

12. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

If it's good weed and not my booze, I'm cool with it.

13. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

They are basically the same thing but for some reason I would be more upset with pot. Can't explain it.

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Absolutely the dope, (and I have been through this with teenagers).
    1. Dope's the more illegal drug.
    2. Dope's the more rebellious indication.
    3. Dope's the worse destroyer of motivation and progress
    4. Dope's more likely to be tied to a very tight peer group that will go to secret war with you as a parent
    5. Once the schools know a kid is a doper, they give up on him and start trying to get him out of the school somehow

15. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"But if you get caught with a bunch of pot, they might put you in the pound-me-in-the-*** prison with murderers and child molesters"

Not likely. Even felony possession for a first timer with a decent lawyer will get deferred adjudication. Except maybe in wilco or red neck central.

16. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

[after school] Pot is a gateway drug. [/special]

17. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

pot is a gateway drug only because the people who sell harder drugs typically sell pot as well. and kids who experiment with pot are more likely to try some of the other stuff. that's about the only reason i would say pot here.

if pot were legal, as it should be, i would be more worried about my kid becoming a drinker. many of the worst things that have happened in my life are due to alcohol. i have not smoked pot nearly as much, but i can't imagine getting into the same kind of trouble with pot as with alcohol.

18. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

If I caught my theoretical kid smoking pot or drinking, I'd hit the roof. Mainly because they are stupid for letting me catch them. if they're stupid enough for me to catch them, then they're stupid enough to get caught by people who can arrest them for it. I think it's a window into the other crazy stupid **** they must be doing that I haven't caught them at yet.

And besides, what fun is it to try to do these things in HS if your parents don't get pissed? Part of the fun is being rebellious, trying to do things to piss your parents off. If they don't get pissed about drinking and pot, what ARE you going to have to do to piss them off?

BTW-- depending on where you live, pots not that big of a deal anymore. Almost ALL of the kids smoke at the HS I work for. Their parents smoke, their grandparents smoke. They think it's really weird that I, their teacher, don't smoke. And, yes, it's so common that I have had this conversation MULTIPLE times and we're only 2.5 weeks into the school year....

19. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Little League Baseball is a "gateway sport" that leads young kids into a lifelong love of sports and beer.

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

consumed lots of both and the only thing about weed (from a parent's perspective) is i'd wonder who they were getting it from. i scored sacks from some REALLY sketchy people and would freak out if my DAUGHTER was hanging around that crowd.

but i think ricky has a great point that if it's good weed and not my booze then i will confiscate and smoke that night while her *** is grounded.

21. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Not really nails it. And inadvertantly gives the very best argument on why pot should indeed be legalized.

Smoking pot is certainly no worse than drinking alcohol despite the misinformation spread for years in the name of the war on drugs. When you think about the crime and number of lives lost relating to REVENUES from illegal drug sales it's still mind boggling to me that thinking people oppose at least decriminalization of Marijuana.

When I was in high school WAY back in the 70's Alcohol was the real gareway drug. You never found a kid who started smoking pot without trying alcohol first. However underage it was easier to find pot than alcohol if you were way under age say Junior high.

I would be unhappy with either, but not go insane in either case. I would try to explain my concerns and the likely potential problems of both. I wold raise the "environment" issue related to Marijuana and the "accceptability" socially of Alcohol but the substantially greater risks related to alcohol consumption.

22. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"it's still mind boggling to me that thinking people oppose at least decriminalization of Marijuana."

Because they're not thinking, they're ******* stupid.

23. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Do the booze companies still underwrite the "anti-drug" campaigns and the partnerships for a drug free america groups?

24. kmac30

kmac30 500+ Posts

as it stands, pot isn't legal. alcohol isn't legal for a 16 yr old. whenever i have to deal with this, my kid better hope my wife finds out first. there's going to be serious issues in the house. granted, i don't have kids yet and don't even think about what i would do in certain situations.

25. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

A) Pot.

The use of the word 'smoking' makes me think of meat. Has anyone ever tried to smoke ribs or some other meat with Pot smoke? Would that taste smoked or just taste like crap?