Would you bother?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by NickDanger, Mar 17, 2011.

1. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

The boy applied to UT. He didn't get accepted. UT did not bother to send a letter or even an e-mail. His parents never really Jonesed for it. Didn't seem like a good fit. The parents have gotten over the fact that he is in the 99th percentile in everything other than class rank and has a resume that would blow your hair back. The parents are also over the fact that numerous kids with lower numbers and with much weaker resumes got in and that grandsons of former regents got waitlisted and morons got admitted. UT struggles with a well-intended, but poorly implemented plan to reward Texas kids.

The boy cannot live in a private dorm on a lake with full tuition and a cash stipend at UT like he can at the school he is going to. He has over 75 members of his family that have paid tuition at UT and most are or were foundation members. The family has funded an endowment at UT.

Part of the reason that you go to UT is that you are invisible. Nobody at UT gives a rat's *** about you and that is why some people choose to go there (I think it's mainly geography and Austin, but...), but the people who love their babies and write checks need a little coddling.

Would you bother to tell UT they are alienating huge numbers of people?

2. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Although, realistically, it is likely to fall on deaf ears, it isn't going to hurt. There's always the off-chance that someone with some influence and a brain will actually get the message.

Frankly, I've always been of the opinion that many who are denied initial entry should just transfer after their first or second year.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

His parents never really wanted him to go there. Many know I have a law license and that's not ever going to be an issue, but the time at UT was loved by many and people who love UT really don"t want them to f**k this up for generations. They are trying their best. There will be no appeal of the decision and this is not my son, but to waitlist the grandson of a regent who didn't even attend UT, but came from Rice to volunteer his time. Who is an Eagle Scout and Captain of a State runner-up football team (not a footbal recruit - multiple concusions). To admit nice young ladies whose GPA's are TEN points or more below and not even in the top 50% (and they don't get to send pictures) and then not even send a ******* e-mail to males with 99.5 percentile test scores and reumes out the wazoo is beyond cavil. It is my understanding that 32,000 kids appled. 18,000 on the last day. Sounds like a pretty arduous task to me, but once entered into the computers it ought to be pretty automatic if not sincere. THAT's the really disappointing part. UT is REALLY that incompetent? Do they not have a "Please don't punish us for what the leg did to us" in them? Not a "Please consider the CAP program (which is crap)". They are pretty decently engaged to ask alums for money, just not send notices of admissions decisions.

4. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Nick, everybody who went to UT knows that UT does not do "please" or "thank you" very well.

I am wondering if the CAP actually functions these days. Doesn't UTSA have 32,000 students now, something like that?

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Very true. That's why I went there. It's also why they will not endear themselves to people who have megamillions to donate. I AM very distantly related to the grandson of the former regent, but not on the regent's side so I'm not talking about my own child in that regard. They would get a lot more more money by taking well-qualified kids like that one than they will having 20 year old girls call to ask for donations to the school of liberal arts several times a year.

6. recycle bin

recycle bin 25+ Posts

Your post perfectly describes both of our sons. My wife and I are both Texas Exes and our careers have taken us out of the state of Texas. Despite fantastic grades, GPA's, SAT & ACT scores, neither of them got into UT. Very sad as they both had their heats set on going. In the end I concluded that UT couldn't give a rat's ***. They get their numbers and money and that's all they care about. Their reputation as an academic institution is being severely compromised but they don't care. Very frustrating as a parent and as an alum.

7. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Congrats on the boy reaching college age...we'll be there in 2 more years.
    Fortunately it's paid for, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

8. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Hadn't heard from you in a while, MrMyke. Nice to ping. MY boy rolled his truck and narrowly escaped death and even injury about a year ago and ended up waiting for me at Vann's which I know you have almost certainly visited.

The thing with MY boy (and I'm sure it was obvious that I hadn't gotten COMPLETELY over the rejection) is that he has been offered full rides to 4 SEC schools. 3 of them have also offered cash for computers and study abroad or just sandwiches over and above tuition and a PRIVATE dorm room on a body of water. With Honors classes limited to 15. And my alma mater can't bother to even send a ******* e-mail?

We get something in the mail every day trying to get us to pull the triggger and we have never gotten a scrap of paper from Austin that isn't just a fundraising missive.

My wife and I never really thought our boy would fit in at UT as much as Austin, so we really aren't holding on to any angst, but not taking the Eagle Scout, sport captain with a 97 GPA who is the grandson of a former regent is going to f**k UT at one of the best schools in SA for YEARS. I still love my school and I just cringe at their inability to market. At least blame it on circumstances beyond their control with a single e-mail or paper letter.

They probably have the discretion to take somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 kids that aren't automatics because of their class rank. That's about the same as the task for Rice. My boy gets stuff from Rice and WnL weekly (no decisions yet and not very optimistic, just realistic). I swear to something that UT has never sent a single piece of paper or brochure or jackshit. There is just no sense.

Parents go apeshit this time of the year and they all know that UT is wearing handcuffs (myself included), but pissing off so many generations is VERY shortsighted.

9. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

I have a child who I'd love to attend Texas, and sadly I had to leave the state- frustrations aside, does anyone here know the 'official' policy for out of state admissions?

I would understand if it is not exactly published. When I was there- OOS kids usually paid 3x our in state tuition, and generally had better SATs and GPAs as it was very competitive to attend from another state with limited slots.

10. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

The parents have gotten over the fact that he is in the 99th percentile in everything other than class rank ....

Everything but class rank?

Sounds too good to be true.... But don't let facts get in the way of a good self-righteous indignation story.

11. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

McBrett,

I have yet to find anyone who has a rational explanation. You won't get any money (scholarships) from UT unless, well you just won't get much. There is a $25 book put out by "The Princeton Review" or something like that that should give you an idea, but the easiest way is to go to the colleg's website and click on the link the says "What is will cost?" Oh wait. I forgot UT has a ****** website that doesn't disclose that like all the others do. Sorry.

12. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

OK Perham,

Since you chose to make this **** personal I will respond.

MY Boy, not the regent's grandson, has a 32 composite ACT, a 1390 SAT, Eagle Scout (which is like 99.99) with Bronze, Gold and Silver Plams, led scouts and adults on a 79 mile trek at Philmont Scout Ranch, ELECTED leader of one of the largest scout troops in Texas if not the country (I really don't know - about 200 scouts), ELECTED leader of a Scout Venture Crew, ELECTED Captain of his water polo team since last year (I know nobody cares about wp, but the kid gets up at 5:45 to swim varsity and then captain wp) with district and state recognition. ELECTED captain of the spirit org for a fairly prestigious school in SA. ELECTED committee chair for a SECTION (not the whole thing by any means) of a river cleanup in the TX hill country. Went to Africa twice to work in humanitarian/missionary positions, Went to Mexico doing the same. Camp Counselor. Lifeguard at numerous places including every night this year at his school's pool. Owns his own tutoring and light moving businesses. Has had a steady girlfriend for over a year (mentioned only for stability). Has ONE traffic ticket in 3 years.

I bet you think you are pretty erudite, but I would be surprised if you could claim ANY of those deeds.

Be Careful! I have more...

13. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I did not make this personal, or at least I did not intend to.

I was merely commenting on the facts as given by you. That's all. Nothing more.

And my note was regarding your, in my opinion, hyperbole about the "99% tile on everything". Frankly, and this again is not personal, I found that to more than likely be an overstatment. I'm not saying it's not true (he could very well have 99% tile on everything else).

And, to pick nits, the ACT site itself shows a 32 to be in the 98% tile.

The SAT site shows a 1390 to be in the 96% tile (overall) for 2008 entering students.

I by no means am diminishing the considerable accomplishments of the student in question. I was merely doubting the statement of 99%tile in everything else. That's all. Really.

I do not bring up personal, or semi-personal information unless the poster has already done so, (therefore I do not make things personal) thus bringing such information into the public realm, so to speak. Your comment about the 99% tile did that. Absent that, I would not have said anything.

I apologize for whatever it is I have done to upset you so.

So, to conclude, you apparently thought I was slighting the student in question. I did not intend that.

14. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I get it that you didn't intend to make it personal to the student. I am fairly certain that you intended it to be a personal jab at me. I don't care. I'm a big boy.

You had no reason to even post on this thread except for my username and offered nothing other than some old stats to refute my assertion of 99%. I am less obsessed than you because I didn't google 2008 stats, only asserted what the ACT and SAT told my wife.

15. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

this is major problem with a lot of kids that go to a kinkaid or st. johns in houston. they will finish in the top half of their class with a 1400 and over sat and place out of 20+ hours from ap tests and not get in UT. A lot of the parents of these kids are UT alumni. they are all pissed. Their kids are getting in all the top schools around the country but not UT, an avg school based upon student body test scores.

16. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Mine is going to Roll Tide and signed up with one of his best buds to room there about 5 minutes before he got declined by Rice. It was a truly gracious e-mail and letter and I thanked them for the grace in which they told my child that he was not going to be admitted. All UT has to do is plagiarize that letter and send it as an e-mail or letter.

That's all they really have to do to keep from pissing off people. It's not the message. It's the delivery. Or in the case of UT the failure to even make a delivery. Lilly Tomlin made an icon of herself because of her role as a telephone operator on "Laugh In" by saying "we are the telephone company and we don't care... because we don't have to..."

UT may think they don't have to, but...

I really would like to give some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, but I'm not sure I care. That's why I asked the original question.

My wife and son and I are thrilled beyond belief with the child's offer and decision so it isn't a question of trying to change UT's decision. It's solely about the love of the older people for their university and how they see UT ******* things up for a long time to come. At least tip your hat?

17. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

general- are you serious? A 1,400 SAT and Texas native is getting rejected from Texas?

Side note- since our days- isn't the new SAT max a 2400?

I had a very good SAT, was 25% percentile- and was accepted without even having to write essays [​IMG].. ahh the good ole days.

18. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I had a very good SAT, was 25% percentile....

I don't think your understanding of %tile is the same as the rest of us.

19. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

It was obviously a typo, but for a while all you had to do was spell your name correctly and have about 900 on a 1600 SAT scale.

From this poster's perspective, it's not about the standards, it's about the handling of the alums.

20. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"UT was loved by many and people who love UT really don"t want them to f**k this up for generations."

You have to remember that all of the current regents were appointed by a ******* aggy.

21. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

22. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Is the SAT not still capped at 1600? I really do not know the answer. I know what my boy's score was and what my score was and I have an idea that the scale has been changed, but it seems like 2400 is much higher than the current "perfect" score. I thought the scale was still 1600. The "raw" number ought to be less significant than the percentile.

23. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

The boy applied to UT. He didn't get accepted. UT did not bother to send a letter or even an e-mail.

How was the rejection notice communicated?

24. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

He had to log onto their website. They never hit a key to send or print and never paid for the USPS to send anything other than requests for donations.

25. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

It gets even better. Or worse, depemding on your perspective. The boy is now getting bombarded with crap and e-mails from UTSA, UTD, UTPA, etc. THOSE parts of the UT system can send unsolicited e-mails and brochures and letters and such, but UT can't bother to send a letter, much less an e-mail.

There is a fairly big firestrom amongst the Texas Exes over UT spending too much money on tenured profs who don't teach, but make the institution prestigious and whether or not that is an appropriate place to cut costs. No position here. They quote Peter Flawn as saying that it takes 50 years to build a great university, but only a couple to tear it down.

I got news for you guys at UT. It aint the research profs issue that will be tearing you down nearly as much as the attitude toward alums. UT is losing tons of really nice kids whose parents went to UT to eATMe.

Kinda like, no EXACTLY like, Ty telling Carl Spackler in Caddyshack that UT has a pond and a pool. Pond would be good for you.

The kid has free full tuition and special honors college housing and a cash stipend at a school that recently won a football national championship over UT and they now spring into action by giving his e-mail address to 5th rate schools to tell him that he should APPLY to the ponds? Like there wasn't a reason those schools weren't applied to in the first place?

They REALLY need some PR help.

26. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

At the risk of you thinking I'm being personal (which I am not) I will beg to differ.

UT does not need PR help. The anger and ire here seems to be primarily due to the student being rejected by UT, but is directed (mis-directed imo) now to the university's practice of notification. Sinister motives are applied to the university, understandable when one is upset: they (UT) are arrogant, indifferent, pompous, etc..

Are good students not being accepted to UT? Yes. Are many good students being accepted? Also yes. Is the university doing this because they want to or because the law says they have to?

As far as UT not taking the time to send personal letters to the rejected candidates, I also think the anger over this issue is overblown. UT, being a state school, owes nothing extra to "legacies", whether those legacies come from former regents or anyone else.

How many students apply to UT (Austin)? How many accepted? How many rejected? How many letters would have to be sent? What cost? What would the letter say? Were the students given notice that the admissions result would be posted on a website?

This is the day of the internet. There is absolutely no problem with UT putting rejection notices on the web. It saves time. It saves money. It's faster.

UT is only angering those who didn't get accepted. And in that, they are in the same boat as every other college.

27. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

It really isn't anger, it's concern over tearing UT down in a few years (If you will read the thread again, you will see that my wife and I had neen unsure whether we thought it was a good fit and we knew that, because of the numbers crunch it was not likely). If you rub shoulders with other parents of kids at college app age, you will find that almost everyone is pissed about how they handle thinings.

As far as the cost of sending letters, that's utter ******* ********. They have the money to send out many hundreds of thousands if not millions of donation requests every year by MAIL. Sure, it's bulk, but we paid a FEE to apply and that's worth 42 cents. I guess you weren't aware that the letters and glossy brochures sent by the "pond" schools referenced above are the University of TEXAS at San Antonio, the University of TEXAS at Dallas, the University of TEXAS Pan Am. Surely you can see the irony there. That they have money to solicit application fees from the pond schools, but not enough to give personal notice of an admission decision? Do I need to belabor that point in order for you to "get it"?

I AM familiar with the internet and have heard of this newfangled e-mail thing. If they can post the info on the web, they have to manually enter it. I'm pretty sure that computers are not psychic yet. Any University worth jackshit can set up an automatic e-mail. Almost no schools require paper apps and they all seem to have online app processes and they ALL (other than UT) give e-mail updates about various matters. related to the application. The closest thing to UT was WnL. They send you an e-mail telling you when the decision will be accessible online. Probably security concerns. As an aside, WnL is running a bigtime scam telling people they are eligible to apply for a full ride scholarship and that they are so impressed that they will waive the application fee. After you spend your time filling out their PERSONAL app (not the CommonApp), when you get to the end they tell you you have to pay the fee to be eligible for the full ride carrot. The boy had never even heard of WnL and I don't think they even have an engineering dept so he just bagged it. They nevertheless continued to send him reminders about important dates in the process.

Of course no one is "entitled" to attend UT, unless of course you are in the top 10% of your class after 3 years of high school. The story about the regent's grandson has already grown legs. You gotta have some spots in your pocket for those types. The kid is WAY over the average ACT, SAT, GPA, resume, etc so no one would feel like they took a moron in because he is the grandson.

I already provided you with the numbers of applicants, the number of 10%ers, etc and mentioned that it sounded like an arduous task. Hitting send after that arduous task is NOT arduous.

UT is imo making some mistakes. I bitched about Greg Davis because I thought he was a bad OC. Doesn't mean I was angry at UT, just frustrated that they were not making good decisions about how to operate. I have always bled burnt orange and I DO think they were foolish not to take my kid, but I am also totally confident that he is going to have his own grand experience in college at a university that is totally kissing his ***. He's in great shape so it isn't about me being a bitter parent, but an alum who thinks UT needs some redirection in their dealings with applicants. Especially with applicants who are children of donating alums. I DO think that is important for UT's continued success. Especially now that they are so worried about paying research profs.

28. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

To clarify, they did not give any kind of notice that decisions would only be posted on the web and never said that no letter or e-mail would be sent.

29. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

We are extremely happy with the landing pad for the boy, so this is not a continued ***** about UT related to the original post, but I got yet another letter from UT today asking for donation. Here is my response.

July 15, 2011

Randy L Diehl, Dean
    College of Liberal Arts
    University of Texas
    P.O. Box 358
    San Antonio, TX 78292-0358

Re: Request for Giving

Dear Dean Diehl:

I received your letter of July 5, 2011 and wanted to explain why I will not and will not ever give another dime to UT. I have dozens of family members who have attended UT and many of them have been foundation members. My family has endowed a scholarship to the medical branch. My son, who has a GPA over 92 at Alamo Heights High School in San Antonio, applied to UT and wasn’t even favored with a written response of denial. We had to navigate the poorly-designed on-line system to find out. I have enclosed his resume and I understand that UT’s hands are tied to a certain extent, but, c’mon. We are NOT requesting any type of reconsideration of the decision.

I actually support the idea that the state school ought to be as open as possible to the college-bound students of this state. I do NOT support the notion that you can spend a dime of money preparing slick brochures asking for donations and yet cannot bother to send aspiring students a letter notifying them that you cannot admit them. For whatever reason!

When I attended UT, I actually appreciated the anonymity which allowed me to skip classes, etc., but when it comes to the people who are expected to write donation checks or pay tuition bills, you cannot traffic in the incredibly lousy customer service that UT delivers. The way your institution dealt with my aspiring student, contrasted with the University of Alabama offering him a “full ride” in the Engineering Honors College with a cash stipend, a personal conference with the dean, etc, means that there will be a quick and permanent drying up of the flow of funds.

So, I request that you take steps to permanently remove my name from any and all mailing lists for The University of Texas.

Cordially,

30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It might be good to remember that as much as we may have fond feelings for our alma mater, UT is just another big institution with its share of bureaucrats and inefficiencies and impersonal procedures. I agree that they should at least have shown the courtesy of a communication. That’s cheap ****.