Would you let your kids play football?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by LAktownhorn, Nov 25, 2009.

1. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

i don't have kids yet, but after watching this vid, i really doubt i'd let them start this young. the video isn't that bad. but getting hit like that can't be good for kids.

the link

i played for one year in 7th grade. and i remember tackling a kid who outweighed me by 50 lbs. i remember it felt like i just ran into a brick wall and instantly feeling my brain hurt.

2. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Hell no. Not until middle school.

3. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

No chance until 7th grade.

4. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

I played in 4th, 5th, and 6th in a full pads/tackle league. Then 7th and 8th in middle school. I never weighed over 135 pounds until after I graduated high school, so, obviously small frame. Depends on my kids size, if he's my size, he's playing kicker. All the joy of watching your kid on the field, none of harm.

5. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

I learned more from playing football than I did from the rest of high school. Getting the **** kicked out of you and coming back for more is a skill that's worth trading a few surplus neurons to gain.

6. CrazyFoo'

CrazyFoo' 250+ Posts

Seems like in this state, if you let your kids wait till the 7th, they won't have a chance to start.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I started playing in 2nd grade. We really did not know what was going on but it was fun. My job was to tackle anybody that went past the line in a DB or S position. I would wander around, look to the sidelines and then when the play went down, look. If a guy busted through or made his way near us, we would run to him and either bounce off or tackle him. I think I enjoyed bouncing off as much as tackling.

Our coaches were very patient but then again they knew not to expect much from us, I guess. I think it was just something for us to do and burn off energy more than anything else.

I would not let my children play that early. Instead I would have them play the beautiful game, Futbol or soccer.

8. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

football started in 3rd grade in oklahoma. i've seen younger in texas.

that first year of football was an eye opener. kids get hit hard, some for the first time ever. you learn to overcome some fear... or at least how to deal with it with dignity. you learn how to deal with pain without crying like a kid anymore.

very fun. in like 6th grade it got a little bit different because the differences in sizes and maturity of the kids at that age is VAST.

overall, wouldn't trade it for anything. however, i was always an above average sized kid. i saw a lot of kids that were too small (and not tough), or simply not made to play football really get lit up. but they are weeded out pretty quick. but don't let just size be the major factor in the decision. small of the small kids are the toughest kids on the teams and deliver a lot more of the pain than receive it.

9. Finger Likcin'

Finger Likcin' 250+ Posts

10. Finger Likcin'

Finger Likcin' 250+ Posts

11. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

that video had kids who were 6. that is way young to me. I started playing in the 5th grade, and I remember the max weight for a player was 140 lbs. Because of that, there were no kids THAT much bigger than the smaller kids. I remember we had one guy who had to go on a diet and stuff the 2 weeks before weigh in because he was always very close to not making the cut off. That being said in middle school some of the biggest guys didn't hit hard, and some of the more athletic smaller guys were the ones that would cream you.
    I think that in upper elementary to middle school is a good time to start.
    Truth be told my kids will be in football starting at probably 4 years of age... my girl and my boy... football... futbol, soccer that is. It is also a great sport for kids, teaches team, healthy practice, etc. It is also something that they could realistically pursue.. (I am 5 9 160lbs)... no way they will ever be big enough for American football/volleyball etc.

12. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

5th graders have to worry about being 140 lbs? I believe I wasn't 140 until 9th grade and I was 5'9" by then.

13. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Absolutely, if it is what he really wants to do and I and his Dr. deem him coordinated and physically up to it. But to repeat, first, he must really want to play....

14. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

I wasn't allowed to play until 7th grade. Another coach who was coaching with my dad in Illinois at the time has three sons who also started at the same time and they were in 7th, 6th, and 5th grades (on the old side for their grade). Both of our sets of parents were of the opinion that it was too dangerous and there was no upside to playing before then.

I played in 7th-9th grades but started just playing golf when we moved to Texas. I was undersized and we moved to Westlake - so when I went to visit I realized that I was YEARS behind these kids in football and especially strength training. Looking back I would have preferred to have played football, but I decided not to.

As for the other coach's three sons who also started at the same time, they did ok....2 went on to play college football and are coaching in the NFL today and the other was the QB in front of Drew Brees until he blew out his knee.

15. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Pop warner has strick weight limits. The older son in the family I nanny'd for started in the 2nd grade. I went to practice/ games for 3 years and only saw one kid get hurt- and he was a kid who was over weight and out of shape, and it happened early in the season. Wasn't a serious injury either.

Football can build a lot of character under the right leadership. Chris's team had a great coach, and he was lucky to be w/ him for 3 years.

Is it dangerous? Sure. But it's no more dangerous than riding your bike around the nieghborhood.

16. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I played ball from 4th grade through 12th grade and no major injuries, one slight consussion and some soreness after games.

Now my bike, I must have crashed and had stitches a number of times, and a concussion once, helmets be damned. I was also hit by a car, Smurfette, now that I look at it you are right on the money!!!

17. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Both Lostboys did not play until middle school - 7th and 8th grade. That was enough for them and they decided to swim once in high school. Fly guys have awsome shoulders! [​IMG]

Both also had a wide range of sports starting in kindergarten - soccer, swimming, basketball, baseball at non-comp and competitive levels. Both did football, basketball, and track in middle school. So they had enough info to decide what they liked.

18. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

If they want to eat they better.

19. GatePratt

GatePratt 25+ Posts

Lots of flag football leagues these days. If my son wants to play, he will play flag until at least 4th or 5th grade.

20. G-M PLATTER

G-M PLATTER < 25 Posts

Seriously?

Come on now, this thread is depressing - I might expect some of these responses on oprah.com, but this is a head scratcher...

Youth football is one of my fondest memories. I started in 3rd grade, and did the same for both my boys. The little 8yr old bobbleheads arent in any more danger than the orange slice and juicebox crowd playing soccer. That kid in the video is an aberration, but if it worries you then think about this - the best athletes on both teams are the ones that face off. The studs are going to be carrying the ball or playing linebacker, and they will find each other. The ones that dont like contact will lean on the others that dont like contact or they'll watch. There will be some pain, some risk of injury, but in the end it is the best experience for a young boy. And if you are fortunate enough to coach then it is a double blessing.

If you want your kid to have a clue when he gets to junior high, best to have him learn fundamentals beforehand... you wouldnt wait till 7th grade to put your kid in baseball and expect him to be able to pick up the game in a couple of weeks before games start. Youth leagues have weight and age limits to limit mismatches.

You should find a good program with good coaches and get your kid started. If he takes to it and learns to break down, head up across the bow, and drive his legs he'll be well prepared for moving up to jr high ball.

Or you can wait and throw him out there in jr high with a couple guys at the lowest rung of the football coaching profession and 30-40 other kids. He wont learn anything and now he's really susceptible to injury because there are no weight limits.

That's the end of this 40 something's rant. You young 'uns carry on.

21. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

22. soonerinatlanta

soonerinatlanta 100+ Posts

I started playing tackle football in the 4th grade and played until the 8th. I absolutely loved it. But, I just didn't grow. I wrestled at 98 lbs my sophmore year. I would've gotten killed on the field. It didn't help that I was one of the youngest in my grade based on birthdate cut-offs.

I absolutely want my kid(s) to play football young because all the boys in my family don't grow until college. That said, I'm sure I'll start 'em off with flag football and let them continue playing tackle if they like it.

6th grade was my glory year. Living in a small Arkansas town. All the games were on the radio. One game, I ran for a 90 yard and a 56 yard TD. 199 yards for the game. Got interviewed on the radio. Good times.

23. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

24. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

best player on m sons 6th grade team got a pretty serious neck injury that has hi doing rehab right now. same kid also broke a smaller kids femur and dislocated his hip in a one on one tackling drill in practice this season...they do get hurt.

However, i think every kid should play at least one year of organized tackle football. It will toughen them up. My son played for the first time this season and he loved it - 85 lb center blocking kids who weighed 30-40 lbs more than him...he learned how to shop block real fast [​IMG]

25. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

26. G-M PLATTER

G-M PLATTER < 25 Posts

27. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

28. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I sustained more injuries riding my bike than I did playing tackle football from elementary school through HS.

Is that enought of a stat for you?

29. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

it is pretty crazy all the people on what is essentially a football board, talking against youth football.

i remember being scared as crap at my first football practice. we were in 3rd grade, but it was 3rd AND 4th grade team. those 4th graders were looking really fierce. we had the equivalent of an "oklahoma" drilll where the loser had to "run." we lined up and ran as hard as we could at each other and hit. sometimes it hurt. welcome to football young man. now get your *** up after you understand what it feels like to have the breath knocked out of you for the first time.

nobody is dying here.

like the other poster mentioned, i was doing WAY crazier stuff on my skateboard and bike without a helmet by 4th grade.

i don't remember anyone every getting hurt seriously. if anything, baseball is much more dangerous. a hard flying projectille..... you need to understand these are kids delivering and taking the hits. there isn't the force of a nfl linebacker here.

helicopter parents. what in the hell is this world coming to?

30. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts