Wow, we sure dodged a bullet in not hiring Nick Saban

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

:ousucksnana:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

how about expounding on your comment

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I told you years ago that guy is terrible

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I stand alone in not wanting Saban.
    Winning is important, but there is a limit one has to selling thier soul.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

How many national championships has he won in the last 600 days? None, that's how many. What a record of failure.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I'm with ya brotha.
    Never wanted that lying sack of dung anywhere near the 40 acres.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Me too. Never wanted him. The question is, who will be the dominant FCS coaches “over the next decade or so?” Saban is closing in on 70. The bloom is off the Harbaugh rose and Meyer is off the grid, at least for now.

Beyond Sweeney, some young studs will emerge. TH could be one of them. I thought that when we hired him and I still believe it today.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

"Hey Paul, this is Jerry Don from Tuscaloosa. I just think it's time for Saban to go! The University of Alabama deserves better. Why the Tide was never in that game last night! I mean, this is the SEC!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Can Mack be at the right place at the right time? For at least the next 5 years or so.

10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I doubt it. His challenge will be recruiting, and getting the FL kids to
    come north. That’s a tall order. But if anyone can do it, perhaps he can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

He's only ever had one undefeated season, and it came via a title game against a backup quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yep, we sure dodged a bullet and all those travel expenses we'd have had going to the National Championship Games.

But then we were all too busy grabbing our ankles for Billie Powers and Stevie Patterson to notice what Saban was or was not doing.

But then what would Powers and Patterson know about winning?

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

My aggy friends have gone silent.....mostly.....except for a few excuse makers that have deflected to, "Well, the Big XII still sucks and got lucky this year with matchups and Georgia had a bad game because they belonged in the playoff instead of the Sugar Bowl."

14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't even engage aggies in any football related talk. They are all idoits.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

I don't, they engage me. That's what sucks. Even when I go into a convenience store with my longhorn gear on after some big SEC win they will brazenly come right up to me and talk crap. One day I'm going to just punch one of them and ask them why they felt the need to start something.

16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I feel your pain. Even here in the Chicago burbs I will get some slack jawed morons talking smack on occasion.

17. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

PAUL COMES ON IN 10 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

please God, let Tammy call!!

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Jalen Hurts supposed to now be in the transfer portal.

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

I would transfer if I were Hurts. He bailed Tua out in the SEC championship game when Tua got hurt, then Tua has another craptastic game and Saban never gave Hurts an opportunity to shine. That made it clear to me that Tua is the guy until he gets injured. Being younger than JH means JH will likely never see playing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jalen needs to enroll at OU last week.

Do I want that? NO! But that's what's best for him.

22. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Why? He can't pass well enough for that offense. There has to be somewhere better than that.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Because I think he throws the ball very well when he has receivers running the correct routes. My opinion is that he throws it well enough for Linc's system..

My understanding that his first choice may be the convicts. Not sure why

24. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Alabama's offense sure is effective for guys running bad routes. Jeudy and Waddle both averaged near 20 yards a catch.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I concede your point, but if Jalen rarely, if ever works with either of those receivers, the timing isn't going to be there as we saw late in the game.

Perhaps he winds up as a victim of Locksley's arrogance & stupidity and has to play at Sam or SWT or the new coaching staff at SFA, all three of which will draw bigger crowds than the convicts.

I hope someone gives the young man a quality opportunity.

26. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

upload_2019-1-9_14-45-37.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They are hoping and praying that LSU defeats the Horns next year. If Texas wins against LSU while the ags lose, they know they lose whatever leverage they thought they had. This is why Texas scheduling LSU and Bama, etc was a coup de grace.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@Statalyzer makes an underrated point. National championships (in all sports) are a combination of your coach putting your team in position for one and luck. Putting yourself in position is winning all or almost all of your games. Luck includes, among other things, no serious injuries to your team (see Colt McCoy in 09), none of your opponents having the best game of their lives and upsetting you and, finally, especially if you are upset in a true “fluke” game, there not being a bunch of undefeated teams to bounce you out of playing for a title. DKR described the last one with his joke “the first thing that has to happen to win a national title is Notre Dame has to lose.”

Take 2004 Auburn for example. They went 13-0. However, OU went 12-0, USC went 12-0 and ultimately 13-0 USC was awarded the title. Auburn was in position to win it all and did all they could do, but two other teams went undefeated and Auburn was ignored.

While Saban has certainly put his team in position to win, he has had a lot of “luck” in this category.

His 2003 team went 12-1. If two other 13-0 teams are out there, he does not even play for the national title.

His 2011 team, without winning its conference, questionably got to play in a rematch against a team they lost to which would not have occurred had another undefeated or even stronger 1 loss team been out there.

His 1 loss 2012 team does not play Notre Dame for a national title if there is a second undefeated team.

His 1 loss 2015 team may not play for a national title if there are 4 undefeated teams. Same with his 2017 team.

Mack Brown’s 2004 and 2008 teams could have played for a national title if they had similar circumstances nationally. Hell, if we beat Colorado in 2001, we back into the national title game Saban style. There are a lot of teams with 1 loss seasons that could have played in one with favorable circumstances besides Texas. As I stated earlier, Tuberville even went 12-0 and did not get in due to unfavorable circumstances.

Anyway, I am not here to question that Saban is a great coach, but as I said, @Statalyzer has made a good point. While Saban has put his team in position to win as well as anyone, his 1 loss national champions have gotten favorable circumstances numerous times due to a lack of undefeated teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Saban is the best, period. If you start a Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches, you can start with Saban and Bear. Meyer's not far behind, go way back and get Knute Rockne and Frank Leahy, but Saban, in this modern era of limited scholarships and better competition, leads them all.

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Zucker,

Any "Rushmore" for college football coaches has to start with Bud Wilkinson, then argue about the other two spots

• Winner Winner x 1