WR Tren'Davian Dickson

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Tren'Davian Dickson ..... Navasota (Navasota, TX)
    4-star ..... WR ..... 6-1/178 ..... Bailor TEXAS Bailor​
    Per Scout:
    Dickson is a stats machine, putting up record breaking numbers as a junior. He also stepped up on the big stage with a huge game to help his team capture a state championship. A very natural pass catcher and rout runner. He gets open often, but also gets open down the field to make big plays he shows good body control, hands and concentration, outjumping or just simply outplaymaking defensive backs, who sometimes are even in double coverage.

Per IT:
    May project best to the slot long term because of his shiftiness, but Dickson will always be a threat on the outside because of his speed and hands.

Per BR:
    Watching Dickson play receiver is pure bliss. The 6'1" burner plays much bigger than his frame, capable of making contested catches then shredding defenders in the open field. In 2014, he turned those talents into 39 receiving scores, which is a national record.

He is a recruit with a big reputation, one that his classmates will want to play with. That matters now in recruiting, and he has the skills to make an even bigger difference once he gets on campus.

Per OB:
    Four-star Navasota wide receiver Tren'Davian Dickson is taking the recruiting process extremely slow after backing out of his pledge to Baylor in February.

This time around, Dickson wants to make the right decision and stick with it. While Texas A&M is reportedly the favorite to land him, Dickson is taking a closer look at Texas.

"It was a good visit," Dickson said. "I just checked out practice, and it was a good experience getting to see the way they do things. They were going up-tempo and running the spread. The spread is where I see myself fitting in the best."

Dickson isn't kidding. In Navasota's spread offense, Dickson put up ridiculous numbers as a junior. The 6-1, 178-pounder caught 90 passes for 2,166 yards and a national record 39 touchdowns en route to helping the Rattlers win the 4A Division I state title.

Texas might already have two wide receivers committed in the 2016 class, but the Longhorns are looking to take one or two more prospects at the position. Dickson is certainly high on their board.

"I got to talk to Coach (Charlie) Strong, and he told me that he needed me there because they are lacking at wide receiver," Dickson said. "Coach (Jay) Norvell talked to me about the receivers he's developed and stuff like that.

"Overall, Texas is a nice school. It's Texas, you know? There isn't much I don't know about them. They have the best history in the state."

Circus Catch

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Dickson was previously committed to Baylor, but opened his recruitment back up and Texas is one school in his new Top 6. Dickson is a quiet young man who does not talk much in general - and certainly not frequently to the media. Dickson is hard to read about where he could be leaning in his recruitment, but many are betting on the Aggies. However, anything can happen in recruiting - and the fact that Dickson plans on having Texas as one of his last visits before his announcement bodes well for the staff's chances of making a late and lasting impression on the record-breaking receiver at a critical stage in his decision-making process.
    [Link]

4. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Wooo Hooo!!! Welcome to the 40 Acres Mr. Dickson!! :yippee::hookem: :bevo: :texasflag:

#Let's Ride

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

What a group coming in next season at WR... Johnson, Hemphill, and Dickson alone would have been more than enough for a major college. I'm hoping the up-tempo promises and the fact that Buechele is on his way will keep the positive recruitment going.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

To the Aggies and Strong doubters, Texas is bringing in QB and WR talent. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it's clear to me that something grand is on the way.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Dickson was invited to The Opening Finals but missed to take a summer school class. 247 says he may have grade issues. Yet, his coach says he wants to graduate early and be an EE at Texas.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

12. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Tren'Davian! :hookem2:

13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Obviously, TD Dickson isn't sec!sec!sec! ready - that's why he had to settle for Texas.

Anyway...

Per IT:
    Dickson is likely the most natural receiver in the state when it comes to hands and body control. Of all the sub 6-foot receivers in the state, he’s the one that plays the biggest in traffic. He’s a slot, he’s an X. He can make you miss in close quarters and he can win balls over the top.

As for utility, watch how Texas deploys Money Foreman this year. Dickson isn’t as explosive as the sophomore to be, but he’s a more natural receiver and can also be moved around like Foreman. He should be devastating in the RPO game and his ‘quicker than fast’ twitch means he’ll get out of some tight jams in close quarters. I like his long-term route running ability because of his quickness, fluidity, and body control.

His hands will also come in, uh, handy, on RPO passes that often come in hotter than they need to be. Everyone always wants a comp, to me he reminds me of Steve Smith. He’s not as electric of an athlete, but he’s quick and plays bigger than his size, can line up all over, and has a ‘ball is mine’ mentality.

Big get for Texas. Dickson’s floor is as a possession receiver but his ceiling is much higher.

14. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

15. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

A QB and 14 WR"S do not an offence make.

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I agree. But Aggies and certain people on this site think it is all about the QB and WR. The "smart" people think that at this point in time, the focus should be on the OL. In other words, the need for QB and WR talent has been solved.

• Like Like x 1
  17. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

Mchammer IMO 4 OL men and 4 or 3 LBS would be much more needed to fill out a roster for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I am pleased with the skill players we have or are recruiting, but you guys are right. The concern is in the trenches. Need more O-line and LB focus in recruiting.

19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Looks like his coach was correct...

Another UT EE! That makes either 5 or 6 out of the 7 commits who plan on enrolling early.

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'd rather have him take summer school and show up in January than come later next summer.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, an early enrollee is committed in Dec or so, not the waiting game until Feb.

22. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

So, I've seen reports that his 40 time was something like 4.67 and I've seen reports that he ran a 4.38. Is either of these likely the case, or somewhere in between? (Maybe a dumb question, since 99% of all college WRs are "between" a 4.38 and a 4.67.) Just wondered whether he's truly able to run with 4.4 type guys.

23. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

If @jayakris was here, he could tell us. The only thing I could find was a 4.71 at ESPN - doesn't say when or where or how it was taken, though.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We know he can jump. Eyes don't lie.

25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Texas
    Tren'davian Dickson, Navasota
    WR Dickson will be hard-pressed to repeat his performance of 2014, when he set a national record with 39 touchdown receptions. Nevertheless, Dickson, the MaxPreps National Junior of the Year, is probably the most dynamic talent in the state. The Texas commit also led the state of Texas with 2,163 yards receiving on 90 catches in helping lead Navasota to the Class 4A state championship.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Apparently Tren'Davian visited ou this past weekend

30. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per a poster on another site:
    NAVASOTA, Tex. — Tren’Davian Dickson was all smiles on his special day.

The four-star Navasota wide receiver officially became a U.S. Army All-American when he received his jersey on Thursday morning. It was a big moment for Dickson, but what came after wasn’t totally unexpected.

Dickson spent a lot of time answering questions about his commitment to Texas and whether or not the rumors about him wavering were true.

“I’m still committed to Texas,” Dickson said. “The stability of the program (is the biggest question mark)… just people talking about is (Charlie) Strong going to be there? Is (Jay) Norvell going to be there? Is he still going to coach receivers? Is (Shawn) Watson still going to be the offensive coordinator? All that kind of stuff.”

Dickson originally pledged to the Longhorns in July. His verbal commitment came as a huge surprise to most pundits in the recruiting community as Dickson was considered leaning towards
    Texas A&M.

Shortly after making his decision, Dickson credited his close relationship with head coach Charlie Strong as the biggest factor in his commitment and added that he planned to enroll early.

Dickson seemed happy with his pledge this fall. He made a couple of unofficial visits in September and maintained that he was solid. But a few weeks ago, Dickson went radio silent as rumors about the status of his commitment spread like wildfire.

Horns247 confirmed that Dickson reached out to Baylor, where he was previously committed, about an unofficial visit and just a week later, he made an official visit to Oklahoma.

“I just wanted to see what the official visit process was like with everything going on at Texas,” Dickson said. “I wanted to make sure that if something happens, I have a place to have my options open, so I can fall back on.”

Dickson reiterated that he is still fully committed and has no plans to take any other visits.

It should, however, be noted that Dickson is the only Texas commit with plans to enroll early that has yet to sign his financial aid agreement.

“I’m just waiting on my parents and talking to them about deciding signing it,” Dickson said. “We just want to see how everything plays out. It’s just a day-by-day process.”

At 6-foot-0, 171 pounds, Dickson is ranked as the No. 21 wide receiver in the country and No. 20 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.