WRs

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LHABSOB, Sep 8, 2019.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I played DB and ran track - you have to know-how to compartmentalize which leads to bring able to delete.

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I wonder what they meant by this? Our WRs aren't fast enough? Seems unlikely. Sam isn't accurate enough on deep balls? OL can't consistently hold blocks long enough for those routes?

3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Seemed simply enough to be implying that Sam just doesn't have a good deep ball. Also, with all the injuries and no running back who has stood out and established himself as the main guy, there is no running threat to create the deep ball threat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

This game was Collin Johnson's last chance to impress me. He did not. I thought he was "Mr. Almost" last year, and this game solidified it. LSU put a freshman on him and he could not get separation. That onside kick almost-recovery was a microcosm of his entire time at UT. He is just not the big-time playmaker that his physical attribute say he should be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Prod
    To add to your Mackovic horror story playing up at Okie state one year Horns had a strong first half running the ball.and IIRC score was close , 3down?
    Came out throwing in second , dropped balls ,interceptions lost the game
    Greg Davis was asked why he went away from the running game when it was working
    He said he did not know.
    :whiteflag:

6. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I don't necessarily agree.

We have the OL so Sam has time, and we have WRs who are big and can jump, as well as WRs that can burn the defense.

If Sam was more consistent with his deep ball, we are absolutely built for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. horninchicago

Your last sentence is the problem. I guess since the quarterback's ability or lack thereof to throw a consistently accurate deep ball is a huge part of being built for that kind of offense, that is what they were getting at.

Also, as I said, we have no running game that makes the defense defend against it, so they can drop into coverage.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kind of sums up Davis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think your first paragraph is dead on. Pretty good analysis for us low intelligence guys...:rolleyes1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well I disagree to an extent. I remember when early in the game eagles was going on a deep post and the defender was on his back shoulder Sam overthrew them both. If Sam had thrown the ball a little short and flat and to the side eagles could have broke his route and adjusted to the open area where the ball is going. Yes it might not be a score but it is still a big play nonetheless. I remember thinking that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Actually better!

12. horninchicago

I think we can agree, it sounds like, that Ehlinger's accuracy is inconsistent. He's a competitor and will work hard on this I assume.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  13. horninchicago

Watching TH presser. Asked about what he thinks Ehlinger can improve. "Probably from a fundamental thing, just more consistently accurate. Um, you know, there are times when he throws some beautifully accurate balls and there's a few that get away from him for one reason or another. Other than that....I love having him on this team."

14. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

From my seat I didn't see "a free receiver on every play" as you posted, early on. Late first half and going fwd, yes. But not early. If LJ was on the field in lieu of any other wr we had, we'd have won that game. That cockiness the db's had prior to the game would have been summarily dismissed. He'd have owned them early and often.

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Getting inches from making a game-changing play that most people wouldn't have even had a shot at? That neutral fans were giving him kudos for and LSU fans were saying made their hearts skip a beat?

• Like Like x 1
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

One of Texas' receivers were free on every passing play - LSU's plan was to disguise which one. O knew even as good as LSU's defense is, they are built to stop $EC offenses with the front 7. Texas' wheel routes and TE/H drags over the middle forced at least one LB to hang back, which is one reason the second half opened up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

He is our best receiver, with Duvernay and Eagles in a dead heat for a very close second. We have three top receivers, with some seriously good ones ready to step in on a moments notice.

My opinion about Collin: He is not getting many throws because the other team is doubling him most of the time. He has been used mostly as a deep threat, and Sam's accuracy on deep balls is still developing plus we are throwing the short swings to Devin a lot; and Sam sometimes hesitates to throw up the deep ball when it appears Collin is covered. Sam needs to give Collin the opportunity catch the jump ball.

As Eagles continues to prove himself as the deep threat he certainly is, defenses will be forced to respect him, thus opening the door for Collin to step back up.

18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Nice way to put that.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was better than last season Nash. At least this season he is looking downfield.

• Like Like x 1
  20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes, we have the receivers for a deep game, we have an O line that gives Sam enough time to set and throw deep; but Sam's accuracy on the deep throw, and his confidence that his big receivers (CJ and Eagles) can win the jump balls most of the time and the rest of the time knock it away for an incompletion needs to go up a bit before we can say we are built for the deep threat.
    I guess my opinion is that our "deep threat identity" is a work in progress right now. I do expect our deep threat to get better as the season progresses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have zero concerns about our coaching staff. Yes they made mistakes, but they are really good at their jobs. Especially Beck who IMO is second only to Riley in teaching a QB how to play the game.

I try not to complain about play calling since every play is designed to succeed, but not every play is designed to score. When we don't succeed it's generally a case of execution.

I absolutely love our staff and yes, there are individual assistants out there that are equal to or better than guys on our staff, I'm satisfied we have a staff that will take us to a championship level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mike Leach, David Cutcliffe, Gus Makzahn, Darrell Dickey, Scott Frost, Josh Heupel, Sonny Dykes are the first among others to send their salutations.

:beertoast:

23. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Don't mistake a offense for QB development, Beck has worked wonders with both Ehlinger and with Thompson. Both these guys were on the same level a passer as Tyrone Swoops when they got here. I hear the same thing about Roshon Johnson as well.

IMO he has worked miracles with our guys.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Yep, I see progress on the deep ball. And watching Sam improve on his decision making from year 1 to year 2, gives me every reason to believe he can also turn this weakness into a strength too.

We did have our first 50 yard plus play on a pass play in over a year this saturday.
    Hopefully more to come.

• Like Like x 1
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agreed! I was sincerely hoping for substantial improvement in the deep ball accuracy this year after all the off season work but have been disappointed with results so far. Most particularly when I’ve seen the receiver open on a deep cross but also on the sidelines. CJ is going to get the ball when it’s high and he can reach above the defender, and we’ve seen Eagles doing that now too. Just hoping we see a lot more.
    Hookem

26. horninchicago

First in the Tom Herman era at Texas, as hard as it is to believe. Hopefully many more to come.

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Fair enough, but Beck's name will NEVER be mentioned in a discussion with the people I listed. Comparing him to Leach and/or Cut is beyond ludicrous. His play calling has a wider chasm. He is, however, light years ahead of the insufferable years of Greg Davis.

28. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Well.....Can you imagine what he could do with a guy who can actually throw the ball to begin with...er....we had one but now he is at Utah.

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

but would not be playing even if he was eligible, and will probably be #2 next year.

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Is there truth to the rumor that Herman took over the offensive play calling for the second half?