Wurstfest

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by El Paso Way, Aug 16, 2008.

1. El Paso Way

El Paso Way 100+ Posts

As stated previously, we will be making our annual trip to central Texas at the end of October. We are considering heading to New Baunfels during Wurstfest. I went to it like 25 years ago. Has anyone been to this festival lately? Just wondering if it is worth going or not.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

It's relatively expensive for both food and drink.

And crowded, especially on weekends.

If you've never been you should probably go, but it's not an event repeatedly worthwhile for most folks, IMHO.

It's neither quaint nor picturesque or very comfortable, economical, overly memorable or particularly entertaining, unless you are with a fun group that enjoys being together.

At its very worst, to use an easy pun, Wurstfest is a crowded, drunken, pricey, touristy, sausage fest featuring sugary funnel cake, T-shirts proclaiming whatever you want, funny hats, lederhosen and inconvenient parking.

Between the cooling waters of Schlitterbahn and the beer at Wurstfest, New Braunfels has fiscal fluidity from liquid entertainment well under control.

Their "civic irrigation system" is indeed remarkable and efficient.

More power to 'em.

[​IMG]

Wurstfest is a Central Texas heritage and tradition and I'm glad I went several times at various ages from collegian through adulthood with kids in tow to Senior citizen.

However, other than seeing famed accordionist Myron Floren up so close that I could have squeezed his instrument myself, I've had more fun at Luchenbach.

In my opinion, it's mainly celebrated by the good people of New Braunfels to extract as much money as possible from those who attend after they've paid to enter the gate, but then what similar event isn't these days?

Go to Fredericksburg to a festival or to shop instead, if you want slightly less of a clusterf*ck.

At least the Fritztown area features some scenery.

Realize that buying your Wurstfest ticket to get in is really simply paying in advance for your convenience in being thereby permitted to exit quickly later, without standing in yet another line or incurring additional expense to get out.

[​IMG]

And, as Wurstfest continues for decades to come, you'll have the personal opportunity to say you've been there and done that, probably overpaying for the privilege.

Go with friends, have some cold beer, smoked sausage and enjoy their company.

[​IMG]

3. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

OK. So Aggies know **** about sausage and beer.

Big deal.

[​IMG]

4. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

Nice call, Fred.

Going with a group is really the only way to go. Not to say you can't have fun otherwise, but it sure helps when you bring your crowd with you at Wurstfest.

I will say this -- if you can stand the long lines for food, you will get far better than standard fair-type food. Pork chops on a stick, etc etc. MMMMMM good.

5. El Paso Way

El Paso Way 100+ Posts

Yea, we will be meeting family members from North Texas and Okie. No kids, just adults who like to drink and eat. I guess we may need to go ahead and check it out. I went to it around 1983 or so. Of course, I'm sure its a lot larger now. Thanks for the info.

6. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

We are returning this year after several years absence. My wife and I really enjoy going.

I'll disagree about going in a big group. I think a big part of the fun is meeting and socializing with whomever happens to be sitting at your table.

It is a fundraiser. The money you spend goes to various student and civic groups in NB.

We stay downtown so we can stumble home. Our plan of attack is always to drive down Friday and eat in Gruene. In the morning, we shop or have a slow breakfast, then head down to Wurstfest for lunch. We go back to the hotel for a late afternoon nap, then return to Wurstfest in the evening, early enough to get a seat in the big tent (very important). We spend the majority of the time in the big tent...one person fetches beer and grub while another saves seats.

We have been when it was cold and still had a good time. The beer lines are shorter and the hot potato soup tastes better.

Some groups have multiple perfomance times...the earlier performances are more family oriented and the later ones are geared towards the crowd that sticks it out to closing.

NB is Longhorn territory, so there are TVs everywhere when there is a game on.

I can easily see how some people do not care for Wurstfest. If you only go for drinking beer and eating it is expensive. It's the entertainment and socializing that makes Wurstfest worthwile. It really is a very happy place.

7. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

Went 2 years ago with my sister and best friend, and we had a blast! Drank several pitchers of beer, listened to music, and enjoyed sausage/brauts! It's a great day trip! There really wasn't that many people when we were there, and it was on a weekend. Being German, I loved it, and I will definitely be hitting it up again this year, as well as the Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg!

8. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

After a prolonged absence, Brave Combo is back.
    It's worth it to see them in their element.
    Go on College Night, the scenery is most excellent.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

I've seen Brave Combo.

They are accomplished and fun.

[​IMG]

10. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

Fast Fred,

You have just encapsulated the entire essence of my hometown in a few sentences. I do not think I have ever heard a more accurate description of NB and Wurstfest.

Just a quick plug:

The first Friday night offers free admission before 7pm, but sadly everything else is at full price.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

12. tbone421998

tbone421998 25+ Posts

Just another quick plug:

The second Sunday offers free admission after 3:00 pm. If you like big band music, The Joe Rogers Big Band has played the last two years that last Sunday night from 7:00 to 9:00 or something like that.

13. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

it has gotten substantially more expensive over the past five years, without much commensurate raise in atmosphere. i won't be going back anytime soon. $20 for a pitcher? seriously?

14. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Kiss Me, I'm German.

15. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Brave Combo" No ****?

Ahh... nothing could probaby surpass my going in 1979 as a 17 year old high school student literally making out with no fewer than 15 girls in passing in 1978. Right before Herpes made it's debut...

Brave Combo? I think the last time I saw them was in 81 or 82 when i was working at club foot. Sounds like an opportunity for joe King carrasco to get a gig again! but they would indeed be fun at wurstfest!

16. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Brave Combo plays Nov. 3rd, probably in the Main Halle.
    They stopped playing for quite some time, since the Opas (Wurstfest organizers) wouldn't let them sell CDs from the stage, even though they let Jimmy Sturr do it. They asked why he could sell merchandise from the stage, and they could not... the Opas cited Jimmy's plethora of Grammys.
    Now that Brave Combo has 2 Grammys, the Opas have relented.