WVU Player Punches Tech Student

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jan 15, 2018.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Tech fans storm the court every other week, but get Big XII fine and punch to back of neck this time.

Punch was uncalled for........

2. LonghornCatholic

3. LonghornCatholic

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ridiculous. Bowelsby finally tries to prove he has a pair, and gets it wrong.

The video shows the "victim" rushing the court and barely brushing the WVU player, who then turns and tries to sucker punch him. WVU wuss is such tough guy, he didn't even knock the kid down.

Can anyone blame Tech administration for not having enough security? Anyone think Tech would win?

Now if there is a way to blame Hance for this, Las Colinas can fine away.

5. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Las Vegas did - Tech went off as a 4.5 point favorite.

6. LonghornCatholic

Sorry, could have swore I posted this on basketball board.

My bad. :hookem:

7. LonghornCatholic

Tech has a damn good team.

8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

This should be "On the Court."

• Like Like x 1
  9. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

Disagree. The fine went the correct way (and probably should have been more). No reason for fans to be on the court when players are on it EVER. A mob rushing onto a field or court while the opposing team is still present is dangerous and volatile. Sucker punch or not, fans shouldn't touch, brush, or run into (however you want to see it) a player let alone a player from the visiting team. The place for fans is in the stands, and the place for players and coaches is on the sideline and on the court/field. Not justifying the WVU player's reaction. But ultimately the fault lies with TTU security and the fan being where he shouldn't be.

• Like Like x 2
  10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Bound to happen, hate to sound like a party pooper and not making excuses by any means but keep people of the court that shouldn’t be there. Lawsuit waiting to happen as soon as somebody gets trampled.

11. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

yeah, i agree completely. volatile is the key word. opponents can be angry, potentially scared, and overwhelmed at this point. I don't condone his reactions, but fight/flight response is easily in play here.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

A joke that the player got no punishment.

13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think it bears saying: there wasn't a single word in this thread title that surprised me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I was mildly surprised by the use of "Tech" and "student" in the same sentence.

• Like Like x 5
  15. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

There was also no couch burned on the court....isn't that a WVU thing? Or does that have to happen at home (not on the road)?

16. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Only at home. :lmao:

17. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

They have couches in WV?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Had...

• Like Like x 2
  19. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

It might interest those posters like LonghornMD and easy to know there is no rule, regulation or policy in the Big 12 prohibiting fans from running onto the court post game.

Texas Tech, like other conference schools, provides a predetermined, safe, secured, quick and well known to the visiting team route off the arena floor.

WV chose not to use that route for some unknown reason. A completely unprovoked (except for the game score) WV player punched a student while the student was even looking at him and TTU is fined 25k and the player is reprimanded.

Makes a lot of sense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I'd say that predetermined route was derailed by fans pouring onto the court. If there's a plan in place, it should include security/personnel surrounding the players/getting them off the court.

21. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

First of all, from attending many Tech football games and basketball games in Lubbock, who doesn't want to punch their fans in the face????

Secondly, Tech actively encourages its fans to rush the field/court. Sometimes when you play with fire you get burned. Tech needs to act like it has been there before and stay off the playing surface or at least wait until the opposing team clears the area.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Was the Gap kid incident so long ago Tech fans have already forgotten what happens when they rush from the stands?

23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

that's fair.

24. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I hear they have a fire sale every Friday during football season

• Like Like x 2
  25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sure but that shouldn't let the player off the hook for the punch.

26. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

As big a load as has ever been posted on Hornfans.

Additionally, the plan in place of course does include security personnel. It's difficult however to force visiting players off the court. Did the WV player in question look to you like he was real interested in finding his way off the court?

27. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

From what I saw in the link above, it appears to me that #11 and #50 were standing on the sidelines out of the way of the fans rushing onto the court and stepped forward onto the court to engage the fans. IMO, they should be punished in some way (suspension?)

28. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Tech student gets punched? This sits well with me. Very well with me.