@ WVU

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Joe Fan, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Amazing

• Like Like x 2
  3. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Really proud to see the other programs in our league come together to honor #1. Very cool. :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

We are behind by 15 with 9 minutes left. Its not like we are not getting our shots. We are, but we are not making them. Not finishing at the hoop, and not making them from outside. Its a bad shooting game all the way around.

The team's performance this game does not resemble the last game at all. Some of that is for sure the defense and pressure of wvu. Our team does not respond well to pressure. In the first half we had five straight turnovers on five straight possessions.

Another big problem this game is very bad free throw shooting.

Our Defense has been good. But wvu is a good shooting team. So we are basically getting our asssses handed to us. Maybe Shaka can use this game as a teaching tool to help finishing at the hoop and not turning it over when pressured.

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

At one point down by 29 points?!? How the heLL can this team be so Jeckyll & Hyde????

6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

This team cant shoot.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

That's what I mean. They shot lights out against Tech then turned around and shot 17 of 50 from the field and 3 of 15 from 3's today. Totally awful and unreal losing by 35 points.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I can't believe how many front end of the 1 and 1 Free throw attempts we missed. The free throw shooting in the ttu game was very decent. Not today!! We left our game in Texas. It was AWOL today.

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Stats tell the story:
    Horns wvu
    FG 34% 46%
    3pt FG 20% 52% (wow)
    Turnovers 15 10
    Assists 7 16
    Rebounds 29 45
    Blocked shots 4 6

How is it with our front line that we had fewer rebounds and fewer blocked shots?

This is what a 35 point beatdown looks like statistically.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That was a really nice opening gesture by WV
    Before kicking our butts

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I dont even care if we get another 5 star recruit for next year. I want a solid, consistent team that can shoot the ball. Ugh.

• Like Like x 1
  12. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I have to wonder...Is shooting ability ignored when handing out the stars? How can a guard who cannot shoot be considered anything more than a 2 star prospect?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I just don't get that either. Defense can be taught, but having a shooters touch is like speed, you simply can't teach it. This seems like a problem that's permeated our women's program too. I don't get why we can't/or don't try to recruit great shooters.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

I wonder if Shaka is just gunning for stars/player ranking and not really paying attention to strengths and/or weaknesses. Or maybe they were good shooters in HS but for some reason our program doesn't foster that ability at all. Either way this is supremely disappointing.

15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The shooters on WVU had a terrific game. Maybe their best of the year. And their star point guard played in his 126th college game yesterday. He looked like a man among boys.

But I really like how Simms is playing now. He was aggressive going to the hole and blocked a shot or two. The refs made some terrible calls against us. Charges that weren't and no foul called when Simms was hammered on two dunk attempts.

This was an aberration. We come back strong next game.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

A team that up to our game had shot 32.6% from 3 shoots 52.2%. Normally this kind of thing happens when a team gets a comfortable lead and feel less pressured when shooting. Defense matters of course but this is as you said an aberration. Just one of those games.
    I’m not pleased with the performance by any means but not freaking out either. Sometimes these games happen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ariel?
    Brooke?

I think you just prefer to look for negativity wherever you can find it.

18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was definitely a perfect storm of playing on the road against a top 10 team loaded with upperclassmen that was completely dialed in, against us on a day when we basically didn't hit anything.

Shooting had been much better the past week or so, and today cratered back down. My hope is that won't be the continued trend. Tonight's a very winnable game, and they need to come home, regroup and go handle things.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

No, Ariel and Brooke are 2 of my favorite players and the start of a trend that seems to be reversing. The fact is since you're a %*&(*% that likes to turn my posts into negativity no matter what I post I think says it all. If you don't like what I post ignore it.

Since you brought it up, Ashley Gayle and Neka Enempali both would stand under the basket and miss 3 point blank shots in a row with no one guarding them all the time. Last year when BT was on the court it was like playing 4 on 5 on offense. We still have players this year that continue to miss wide open shots standing right under the basket and a number of people on the women's BB boards have stated they should have never been ranked so high, NOT ME. And if you don't want to see real negativity and player attacks you better not venture outside of Hornfans. All you have to do is take a look at the shot % of some of the players on our team and compare to other top teams and if you can't see a difference then you simply want to ignore numbers and the numbers don't lie.

20. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

And WV promptly goes on the road and drops another game. TCU wins by 9 but led by as much as 17 in the second half. Go figure.