X Games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mistadobalina, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mistadobalina

Mistadobalina 100+ Posts

Alright, so I totally geek out come X Games. I skated seriously until senior year in highschool when I had a compound wrist fracture, so I've always dug the X Games and specifically vert and street skating.

The mega ramp is completely insane though. I think everyone saw Jake Brown fall 5 stories and then get up and walk away last year. Don't know if anyone watched it last night, but Danny Way got his feet hung up on the coping and did a full flip onto the transition on the quater pipe, only to come back and pull off the same trick. Anyone else dig this stuff?

2. mr. sunshine

mr. sunshine 250+ Posts

Mrs. sunshine and I usually watch the X Games, although I doubt we're a part of their preferred demographic. We were both high school jocks a couple of decades ago, but we just limit ourselves to snow and water skiing now. The very idea of some of these extreme sports makes my butt cheeks clinch up, which is probably part of the appeal, along with the aftermath of the writer's strike (really nothing else to watch lately) and the HD picture.

Way was a stud last night, as was that motocross rider who performed the Electric Death, his name escapes me. Damn good stuff.

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I worked them in the summer of '02 (?) or whatever the first year in LA was.

My first day, first thing in the morning down in Huntington Beach, we walk out to the beach and Kelly Slater is barefoot, talking on the cell phone, and asking if we can open up some storage thing so he can get out his board.

A few days later Tony Hawk hops on the back of my golf cart at the Staples Center so that I can take him to his car.

On the stairs leading up to the pipe in the Staples Center, I get a quick picture with Shaun White who won the Winter X halfpipe about 6 months before at aged 15 or something. There was some fanfare that he was going to be someone to watch in the future. (Whatever happened to that guy?)

The humongous ramp thing didn't appear outside for about another year or two.

Also, I had worked at a graphic animation/post production house the previous year and all of the people in my office had posed for pictures that would be manipulated and used for transition wipes when going from one thing to another. I had been the 6 or 8 armed guy they flashed up before every medal ceremony. Plus other shots.

During the Summer X, I would walk into different rooms in the Staples Center that had monitors wired into what they were filming. Many times instead of a black screen, they just had a picture of me SCREAMING at a girl that I worked with who was staring straight ahead. [​IMG]

That's what I think of when I think of the X Games.

[​IMG]

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I like to watch 'em. I had a skateboard, back when it was "sidewalk surfing." Surfed, and had a dirt bike back in the day.
    I'm always telling my wife I'm glad they didn't have these X sports back then, because I would probably be in a wheel chair or pushing up daisies. I can't believe the stuff they are doing now. Backflips on a motorcycle aren't enough, they have to jump off the seat at the same time-crazy stuff.

5. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I have mixed feelings about this "Big Air" event. On the one hand, it's the most exciting X-Games event (it's easily my favorite; "Step-Up" is a distant second). On the other hand, it's easily the most dangerous X-Games event.

6. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

7. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

Is Dana Jacobson Pregnant or is she just packing on the pounds. Her arms look huge on TV.

8. A-T-X Sal

A-T-X Sal 25+ Posts

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Muchisimas gracias A-T-X Sal.