XFL - Houston Moves to 5-0, Beat Seattle. Best Record in XFL

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BevoJoe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Here's the Horn's in the XFL:
    • Jerrod Heard, 4th wide receiver for the Dallas Renegades, cut after week 1
    • Patrick Vahe, backup right guard now starting center of Los Angeles Wildcats
    • Cedric Reed, starting left defensive end for the Los Angeles Wildcats
    • Kent Perkins, starting left guard for the St Louis Battlehawks
    Only three guys are left.

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

XFL suspends play.

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well, Houston was 5-0 to date in the season, so I assume that makes them the de facto XFL Champion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  5. orngblud

orngblud 1,000+ Posts

The XFL did not mention the coronavirus in its statement or cite a specific reason for cancelling the season, which makes me wonder if they are actually going the way of the AAFL. I certainly hope not because, for me at least, there's definitely room for a developmental football league. I think there were a lot of interesting rules changes that I didn't mind as much as I thought I would and some I even thought were better than the way the NFL does it. If we do ever get to see the XFL again, here's some changes I'd like to see in year 2:

1) I really liked the idea of the legal double forward pass, we just never really got to see it used. Maybe because all the head coaches in the league were older old-school football guys that are too set in their ways. Maybe bring in more risk taking young offensive minds.

2) In the same vein as my first idea, I like the CFL rule that allows one receiver to be moving towards the line of scrimmage at the snap. They should bring this in.

3) Relocate and rebrand the 2 teams with the lowest average attendance: Los Angeles and New York. I think the easiest move would be for LA to ship south to San Diego, where the AAFL's team there averaged about 4,000 more fans than LA did. NY should also head south to San Antonio. "3 teams in Texas??" you might ask: and I say yes. That town has shown that they will support football in several leagues over the years, in fact the AAFL's Commanders led that league in attendance. Also, the NBA seems to do ok with their 3 Texas teams.

4) More former Longhorn players in the league! This would certainly increase my interest anyway!

I guess what I'm saying is that I've enjoyed having football to watch the last five weekends and I hope there will be more "off-season" football in my future!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good suggestions! I liked the during the game interviews with the players and coaches. Being able to listen to the DCs and OCs call down plays to QB and Defensive Captain. I liked the kickoff format, the way the game clock was handled, only two time outs per half, listening to the refs discussions on penalties, and the Head Ref talking to the replay booth. Games only lasted about 2 hours and 45 minutes, maybe a little longer or shorter.

I hope they will come back next year. There were plans to add 4 teams next year and 4 more the following year to get to a league total of 16. As you pointed out, it could be a good development league.

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No; the Coronavirus won this championship along with all of the NCAA spring sports championships.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good point!

9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The commies killed football

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The word "despite" makes no sense there until the author has an agenda.

14. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

At least Houston XFL shirts can say "undefeated all time".

• Agree Agree x 1