XP Media Center?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by UTChE96, Jul 22, 2005.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

About to buy a new laptop. Anyone here have the XP Media Center edition.

Whats the difference between this version and regular XP Home/Pro?

2. KMcCoy33

KMcCoy33 100+ Posts

The only thing I have found to be a difference between XP Pro and XP Home (or have even been able to read about) is that XP Home will not allow you to join a domain. So if you are running a server and logging into it on a home or business network, you would need XP Pro. Most people don't do that and would be fine with XP Home. As far as Media Center, I haven't used it. A coworker of my dad's bought a PC with Media Center and it is like XP Home in that you are unable to join a domain on it.

3. HorninDallas

HorninDallas 100+ Posts

go to Dell's website, start customizing a computer, click on "Help me choose" next to the XP choices and a pop-up window will appear that breaks them down

4. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

HiD-

Thanks for the tip. It actually seems pretty cool. The DVR capabilities are really interesting. I'll probably get it with a TV tuner.

5. HorninDallas

HorninDallas 100+ Posts

that's what I did but I haven't tried it yet, also got the DVD burner so I can burn fb games, movies, etc from tv

6. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

7. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Damn, now I know why I can't get my home computer to login through the company VPN. I have XP home.

Ed