Yale yes Texas no

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by RabidLonghorn, Jun 1, 2008.

1. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

what's the ONE thing that is different about Texas?

Public school.

All the rest are private.

I'd go to Stanford, too... unless I wanted to be POTUS, in which case, I'd go be a cheerleader at Yale.

None of those is a bad school to go to. Rice is not cheap, and I don't think they do "free" very well.

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

hell, stanford waives tuition for any student whose family is making under $100k.

so family A making $99,999.99 gets a free education and family B making 100,000.01 has to pay full tuition?

3. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

4. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

She's either in-state outside top ten or a punter. I also heard stories (not confirmed though) that UT rejects the Ivy types since those kids have no interest in attending The University.

5. Ave. H Horn

Ave. H Horn 100+ Posts

Come on, all of you went to college right? Did y'all forget there are more costs than just tuition, right? I mean just the little things like an APARTMENT & FOOD! Tuition is only a small factor. Cost of living is the main prohibitive factor in going to any school far, far away. Most schools will find the student (or the parents) ways of paying the tuition, because that's all the school cares about! But ya still gotta live somewhere....

6. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Aggy didn't offer.

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Maybe if she had bigger forearms.

8. marghorn

marghorn 25+ Posts

I entered UT in 2000, and I know several people that happened to. I had a friend that went to boarding school, got rejected from the b-school at UT, so he went to Harvard. There were also several kids admitted to Plan II that year that had to do provisionals to get into the university. Most of them went to elite Texas private schools.

9. homer

homer 500+ Posts

10. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

11. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I showed my daughter this thread... she reminded me that one of her friends was accepted by Brown and rejected by A&M on the same day. She apparently applied late to A&M...

12. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

She is a Hockaday grad and of course picked Yale for pre-law.

13. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

14. RabidLonghorn

This is how she made her list:
    One school out of her reach-Yale
    two schools within reach-Stanford, Rice
    One school well within reach and her mother is an alum-Duke
    Her favorite school that her grandfather and 8 cousins are alums-Texas
    She applied early to all of them and they all said yes except Texas. Her mother and father make about $400,000 a year.
    I cant figure it out.

15. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

16. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

I know Texas is legally allowed to take ethnicity into account now but their official policy is they don't. I'm guessing with ~85% of the 2008 class coming from top 10% admitees, and assuming she's not top 10% herself, she's competing with an extremely competitive pool of in-staters, out-of-staters, and international students.

17. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

18. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

19. dahobbs

dahobbs 100+ Posts

Texas likely rejects those that are clearly IVY material. I believe the law school practices this too. A good part of the rankings is how exclusive you are. Schools will play these games to work the rankings.

20. marghorn

marghorn 25+ Posts

21. Victory Lap

Victory Lap 25+ Posts

Interesting and insightful posts so far.

Dr. Powers seems to have hit the nail on the head and definitely understands the core problem. Obviously finding a solution is the hard part, but at least he has a clear understanding of why the 10% rule isn't working.

To get back to the OP: Does the application process ask where else the applicant applied? If so, I think the answer is the admissions people knew your niece was overqualified, and was merely using UT as a back up school.

If it isn't blatantly asked, I wonder if they have access to where the applicant sent their SAT scores. If I see Rice, Yale, Stanford and UVA, I would probably not accept either and give the spot to someone who is fully qualified but only applied to UT and some other lesser schools....like A&M [​IMG]

22. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

23. Bob in Houston

Well, then we know she wasn't top 10 percent. Do you happen to know how many were in the graduating class?

24. dahobbs

dahobbs 100+ Posts

25. RabidLonghorn

She was 5th in her class of 125.

26. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

so top 10% rule doesn't apply to private schools?

[johnny] I did not know that. [/carson]

27. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

28. Bob in Houston

29. marghorn

marghorn 25+ Posts

30. RabidLonghorn

extracurriculars:
    Chess club-4th in state Jr year.
    Debate club-State debate champion Jr year, runner up Sr year.
    works once a month at a homeless shelter serving food
    works for habitate for humanity.
    Went to Duke Jr year for game theory class.
    Yes she wanted to go to Texas in the worst way, her grandfather wanted to pull some strings but she said no, guess she wishes she had taken him up on his offer now.