Yankees set to sign Sabathia

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by StringfelloHORN, Dec 10, 2008.

1. StringfelloHORN

StringfelloHORN 100+ Posts

2. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

Woooo... Now they can get back to losing in the playoffs rather than missing them entirely. Of course, now Teixeira's asking price has gone up being the only big right hander available to the Red Sox (assuming that the ManRam bridge is completely destroyed).

3. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

IMO the yankees need to put a little more focus and effort into their farm system instead of relying on pure cash and signing a bunch of veterans.....if one goes down, who is there to replace him?

4. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

I hate the Yankees, but this makes sense for them. They are moving into a new ballpark and have $88 million coming off the books. Sabathia at $23.33 mil a yr + a Derek Lowe (16-18 mil) + AJ Burnett or a Ben Sheets ($16-18 mil) = roughly $60 ml committed to three pitchers... and $28 million still to play with.

If they stay healthy, the Yankees rotation suddenly becomes one of the best in baseball (1. Sab, 2. Wang, 3. Lowe 4. Burnett/Sheets, 5. Chamberlain).

Remember last year, the Yankee tried to do it "right". Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy didn't get it done.

Offense will remain down (I think) next year (losing Abreu and Gambi; hoping for a healthy return from Matsui and Posada). If the Yankees are going to return to the post-season (have to beat either the Sox-Beckett, Matsuzaka, Lester, Wakefield, Bucholz or the Rays-Shields, Kazmir, Price, Garza, Sonnanstine), it going to be because of improved pitching.

5. Titan

Titan 100+ Posts

6. BurntOrange03

BurntOrange03 100+ Posts

7. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Smoltzie will be on the DL for ~ 6 weeks. I think they plan for him to be a starter at that time.