Yao out for NEXT season? :(

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by LonghornCougar, Jun 29, 2009.

1. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

I know this isn't quite Horn's related, but I figure there are a decent amount of Rockets fans here. Terrible, terrible news.

Poor dude, guy does everything right and fate deals him this hand.

Yao Done

2. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

This...

"The Rockets should do themselves a favor and just start over. That isn’t easy in a sophisticated and rabid NBA market like Houston, but what everyone long suspected has reached fruition: Yao and McGrady are no longer a faulty foundation, but a collapsed one. Houston needs to proceed with an understanding that they’re no longer chasing the Lakers, but beginning again."

3. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

Horrible news for Yao and Rockets, but it's not necessarily the end of line. Didn't Ilgauskas in Cleveland miss several seasons with a bad foot and salvaged a decent career? I feel bad for Yao.

4. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

it is a shame b/c he has been a classy guy, But guys that huge are just definitely going to break down earlier than the average player. And make no mistake that is one huge frame putting pressure on those feet.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

5. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

This sounds really bad. Even less severe foot problems can linger forever.

6. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Bill Walton wasn't nearly the pro he could have been. Oh well.

7. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Rockets are dealt another bad set of cards.

Start over is the only logical plan. Tough luck.

8. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

It sounds like this is probably the end for him. He has missed a lot up to this point, with last year actually his best ever for not missing games. It just seems he is a fragile guy and this will be an ongoing problem if he does manage to make it back. Rockets need to blow it up and go in a new direction now rather than prolong the pain.

9. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

His feet and ankles just can’t support the mobility of his 7-foot-6 frame.

Hmm there just know figuring this out? Im not knocking his ability but when has the man played a full season?? I think i would have started looking at other options before now.

10. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

I was always very concerned by the amount of playing he had to do for the Chinese national team. Early in his NBA career he seemed to play year-round. Maybe that had something to do with his chronic injuries?

11. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

read that....

fffuuuuuccccckkkkkkk

totally sucks since i felt we were the 2nd best team in the nba last season [​IMG]

12. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

13. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

14. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Then again, one might wonder at the Rockets playing Yao in 77 games during the regular season, despite knowing his "off season" schedule with the Chinese National Team and his history of injuries.

Even before the Rockets drafted Yao, they knew he would be playing for the Chinese in international competition in the summer. When you have a guy who is 7'6" and you know that he will be playing year round and you play him , you can't so easily blame leg break downs on the other guys.

In fact, looking at Yao Ming's history of play and injuries, he missed only 2 NBA games in his first 3 seasons. In mid-December 2005, he developed osteomyelitis in his foot, had surgery, sat out 21 games, then played until April, when he broke his foot and sat out until he starting playing for the Chinese team in the FIBA World Championships.

Going to NBA season 06-07, he broke a knee while blocking a shot in December. (Don't know how you blame that on anyone.) Out 34 games before medical clearance, then finishes the season.

NBA season 07-08, stress fracture in February after the Rockets made him play over 37 minutes a game for 55 games. He has surgery with screws put in. Out 6 months. Returns to play for China in Olympics.

NBA season 08-09. Yao plays 77 games in the regular season.

If Yao's problems were directly the result of use in China, they probably would have been noticed earlier in the year, if not during preseason games and camp. Maybe there was some kind of microfracture to cause the osteomyelitis suffered in December 2005, but how are you going to show it happened in the summer in China? How do you link the broken knee in '06 to overuse in China? Finally, how do you blame the present injury on use in China when it came at the end of an entire NBA season in which Yao played nearly every game?

Sorry, but the Rockets can't blame anyone here. If they were of the opinion Yao needed rest in the offseason and knew he wasn't getting it because he was playing for China, then they should have given him every October and November off.

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

16. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I truly believe that the Rockets will end up a better team without him. Not right away, but I never felt Yao had a chance to take them to the finals.