YMCA

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Gordon Shumway, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway 100+ Posts

Thinking about joining the one here on McNeil. how much does it cost per month? Any application and/or initiation fees? Any opinions on the facility itself or the YMCA in general (the Mcneil one)? Thanks

2. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

No idea about the Y, but I can't stop watching your signature. That's incredible.

3. twid

twid 25+ Posts

i interned with the architects that designed the mcneil Y, and i designed some small parts. it's pretty nice, but it doesn't have racquetball courts, which as far as i am concerned is the entire point of the YMCA.

4. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

My wife and I have a family membership and go to the YMCA on McNeil - it's $75/month. (I think it was $70 when we started but went up at some point; there was no initiation fee.)

Nice facilities - very, very family oriented, which is what we like. It's definitely not a "meat market". People really take care of the equipment and pretty much everybody cleans up their station when they're done exercising.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for:
    * I'm sure you can find someplace less expensive
    * the hours aren't great (6:00 to 10:00 M-F, 8:00-7:00 Sat, 12:00-7:00 Sun (something like that))
    * not a lot of hot chicks, sadly
    * but, not a lot of muscle-heads either

PM me if you have any questions.

5. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

unless its changed, if you join any YMCA in Austin you can go to all of them. We always went to different ones for better pools or raquetball courts when we were members about a year ago

6. AustinAggy

AustinAggy < 25 Posts

I used to work for the y way back in the day. I was told that if you sign up at one u can use any of them. BUT, some have different monthly payments than others. If this is true, I bet you can find a cheaper one to sign up at then just use the mcneil one.