Yosemite, Glacier, Yellowstone, or ???

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Finger Likcin', May 3, 2012.

1. Finger Likcin'

Finger Likcin' 250+ Posts

Two full days one half day. Must use Southwest. So it's either San Fran for Yosemite, Spokane for Glacier, or Salt Lake for Yellowstone. One of these will be the destination but which should we go to?

No kids, no camping. Photog enthusiast. We would prefer less crowds. Going in June.

I'm guessing more animals are at Yellowstone and Glacier and more crowds at Yosemite. Is this true?

Which has cheaper more available/closer lodging?

[​IMG]

2. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Lucky you ! All 3 are outstading destinations. Research the driving distance from each because it is not trivial. I remember it being about 4 hours from SF to Yosemite, and I think your other choices may be more like 5-6.

If I were making this choice, I would probably go to Glacier. You are limited on time, and Yellowstone is huge. Yosemite valley was very crowded when we were there in July last summer, though it was on a weekend.

Glacier is not that large and the scenery is spectacular. I'v heard snowfall across the west was low this winter, but I would guess in June there should be quite a bit left. The water in the streams and lakes around Glacier is incredibly clear, with a beautiful turqoise tint from the glacial till. Watch out for grizzlies !

regarding lodging, most lodges inside the parks (this will be true of all 3 of these parks) are booked 6-12 months in advance, so you will likely have to stay in one of the gateway towns. We stayed at the Belmont Chalet in West Glacier and liked it; old historic place with a good restaurant and bar. Many Glacier Hotel is one of my alltime favorites if you can find something available; small rooms but incredible views and hking trail just out the door.

Post if you have any more questions. I can't rememeber his name, but there is a guy that posts on here sometimes that lives just outside Yellowstone and he has given me good tips; maybe he will chime in.

3. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Also, if you are interested in wildlife, Yellowstone would likely give you the most opportunites, followed by Glacier and then Yosemite.

4. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I've not been to Yosemite but but I preferred Glacier and Yellowstone for hiking, photo shooting and less crowds.

5. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Glacier. I've done all three. Yosemite a couple times, Yellowstone a couple more. Glacier once. Glacier hands down. Saw 2 bears within 5 minutes of being inside park. Things went up from there.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Waterton on the Canadian-side is a great place to explore Glacier. One mistake that you made is that your airports are far away from your parks. Spokane is fine for Waterton. However, you might consider Kalispel, MT which is much closer. For Yosemite consider Fresno, Sacramento and Oakland (in order). For Yellowstone consider Idaho Falls, Jackson Hole, Bozeman, and Billings.

7. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

I go to Glacier every year and have been to Yosemite many times.

Both are spectacular, but I prefer Glacier. Given your short time frame, stay on the Western Side of the park. Hike Avalanche Creek or up to Granite Park Chalet.

Belton Chalet in West Glacier is a gem.
    The Link

Spokane is about 3.5 hours away. IH 90 to St. Regis then up through the Indian Reservation to Glacier.

8. Finger Likcin'

Finger Likcin' 250+ Posts

Nevermind we broke up. Better off [​IMG]