Yosemite in mid Nov?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Don Trull, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Don Trull

Don Trull < 25 Posts

I am going to San Francisco on businss in mid November.

I am thinking about staying ove for 2-3 days and visitng Yosemite which I understand is a 5 hour drive away.

Will it be too cold?

Can I see the Yosemite highlights in 2-3 days or less?

Do I need to book hotels ahead of time?

2. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

It really depends what you want to do in Yosemite. Most likely trails will be closed and you definitely will not be able to climb half dome.

But Yosemite is beautiful all year round, in winter you could do some skiing,cross country skiing and snow shoeing. But November might be too early.

The rangers at Yosemite are quite helpful so just give them a call. Or go online and see what activities are planned for november, it is easily found on the website
    The Link

There is a pdf somewhere with the activities for the month

3. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Half-Dome cables are comng down 10/15.

4. locohorn93

locohorn93 100+ Posts

feh. cables are for the herd.

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

It will be cold, but not too cold to walk the valley trails. The park will likely not be crowded, which will be amazing. Depending on weather, some of the trails up out of the valley should be partially open.

Envious. And to answer your questions, yes, you definitely need to reserve hotels now. A lot of the lodging options close down later in the year, so what is there fills up pretty much all year round. If you can afford the Ahwanee, do it. You will look back 10 years from now and be happy you did.

And that time of year, 2 days is enough. A lot of the stuff that would take a whole day, like halfdome or a long backcountry hike is out, and you can see the valley, drive out to the meadows, see the groves, etc., in 2 days for sure.

6. North Beach Horn

North Beach Horn 250+ Posts

I live in SF & am considering this as well.

7. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

I just flew over Yosemite and there is barely any snow on the Cathedral peaks, much less the high country. Very unlikely there will be snow in the next two weeks. Recommend a trip up to Nevada Falls along the Mist Trail (Happy Isles --&#62; Vernal Falls --&#62; Nevada Falls --&#62; Little Yosemite Valley). Also, rent some bikes and bike around the valley. Dinner at the Ahwahnee does not disappoint -- the food is pretty good and the surroundings are unmatched.