'You Can't See Me' hand gesture

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by King of 40 Acres, Oct 16, 2008.

1. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres 25+ Posts

Whats going on with the Horns doing the whole "you can't see me" gesture after a big play. Saw this in the Arky game and it carried over to the OU game. Even saw Colt getting goated into doing it after the W. Over and under on the number of times we see it on TV this week at 5

Sincerely,
    LSU Tigers from last season.

2. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

Not just the Horns do it...NFL and College

It's to show that the QB can't see the CB and the CB made a nice play...little bit gangster too

I enjoy it, but maybe I'm in college...I like a little swagger

3. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

4. King of 40 Acres

Oh I like it .. just wondering who brought it onto the team this year. If It worked for LSU last year it can work for us. Was surprised that Colt got into it I'm looking for the youtube clip

5. 726

726 100+ Posts

The Tim Thomas (NBA), Tony Yayo (rapper), John Cena (Wrestler) Gesture:

When sports and pop culture collide, hilarity is sure to ensue. When NBA trendsetter Tim Thomas, G-Unit stalwart Tony Yayo and World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) superstar John Cena join forces, you get the eighth-best celebratory gesture in basketball history.

Readers of last week's column will recognize the hoops-rap-wrestling dynamic as the same one that produced LeBron James' "Diamond Cutter" sign, which drew inspiration from both Jay-Z and Diamond Dallas Page and came in at No. 13 on our list.

Thomas beats out James because of the utter absurdity of the "You can't see me" phenomenon. In 2002, as a rising WWE star, Cena starting winning over fans by waving his hand horizontally in front of his face after vanquishing adversaries in the ring. The gesture drew on the popular slang usage of "see" as an equivalent to the verbs "challenge" or "match." By telling someone they "can't see you," you're basically telling them they'll never be on your level. Cena brought this phrase back to its literal meaning by using his hand to obscure his face from view.

Soon thereafter, rapper Tony Yayo burst onto the music scene along with childhood friend 50 Cent and introduced hip-hop culture to the "Tony Yayo dance," which essentially repeats Cena's trademark move in a more vigorous fashion.

Thomas, of course, rolls with G-Unit, having performed in skits on the group's album "The Clean Up Man," released in February. Two off-seasons ago, Thomas promised he would start doing Yayo's "dance" on the court, and when Thomas had his breakout performance for the Phoenix Suns in last year's playoffs, fans couldn't help but see the "You can't see me."

6. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

I like how the Pom Squad has adopted it as well. [​IMG]

7. Win

Win 100+ Posts

I saw Orakpo doing it after OU's last offensive play. After he was tackled for the umpteenth time by OU's tackle chasing Bradford, he slowly got up as he saw the ball go incomplete and waved his hand in front of his face.

It looks like the team will be doing this all year.

8. Texas Rugby

Texas Rugby 100+ Posts

We used that gesture in the Marines 20-plus years ago. It was the "all clear" sign.

9. King of 40 Acres

<object width="440" height="361"><param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3638841"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3638841" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="440" height="361" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

1:10 into the video sherrod does it to colt and colt responds but the camera cuts away. whoever tivoed it post a screencap or vid

10. King of 40 Acres

The Link

1:10 in sherrod prevokes colt but he isnt shown doing it

11. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

John Cena started it. Tim Thomas started doing it during the 2006 NBA Playoffs, even though he's a scrub. And it's grown from there.

12. M C Orange

M C Orange 100+ Posts

How's LSU shaping up this year?

sincerely, #1 team in the nation

13. stubbshorn

stubbshorn 25+ Posts

hopefully we can become the 2nd team to have 2 mnc [​IMG]

14. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

i can't see the point of the hand gesture.

15. hothead25

hothead25 100+ Posts

Chykie doing it after every play is getting somewhat annoying. Whatever gets them going, I guess.

cena - you cant see me

16. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

17. coachkiss

coachkiss 250+ Posts

I'm not going to lie...I enjoy fake wrestling. We have 50 people at our house every month for the PPV. You won't believe how psyched little kids and high schoolers get for this move.

John Cena is one of the most charismatic wrestlers there ever has been. This move has been made "mainstream". I like seeing the guys do it, and my 10-year old son gets so pumped up when he sees them doing it during the game.

18. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Whatever works. [​IMG]

19. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

As long as they keep making good play and stops, it's all gewd !!!