You can’t teach height

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Texex81, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

Charli Collier 6’5” come on down

That being said, the fight I saw in our team last night was awesome - looking forward to the tournament.

• Like Like x 3
  2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Sedonda 6' 7", also come on down.

Collier = Cox
    Prince = Brown

Now, just have to wait 2 years for them to beef up, get in shape for running up-and-down the court, and learn how to "bang" around the basket.

• Like Like x 3
  3. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I am trying to avoid lofty expectations, but I think the fanbase is going to be pleasantly surprised with their progression and how quickly it comes about. They both have great jumpers with 3pt range. Those kinds of things translate immediately. Neither of them were "bangers" in HS so I don't foresee them doing that in college either. I see them both more as finesse type bigs.

• Like Like x 5
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

If they are just finesse players, they will have to learn to bang at UT. Having USA experience, I would hope they know how to be physical inside as that is what they will face in the Big 12 every year.

Brown, due to her size, both height and weight, is a very tough player to stop on offense, especially when she muscles into the low block. Defensively, though, Cox is the best post in the Big 12 and among the best nationally. They work together almost seamlessly on both ends.

Something similar is what I am expecting from Sedona and Charlie. We will see how they progress when they get here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Not sure how many minutes they got on the floor together but it can’t hurt they both played on the same EYBL team this past summer. I would have liked to see them on the same team in the MCDAA game but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RitaRivas

RitaRivas < 25 Posts

Charli is a beast. The UConn board *still* laments losing her to UT. She will be great addition. If Joyner can live up to her billing coming out of high school (I had her being clearly better than Lauren Cox) then UT will finally start getting some Big 12 titles under Coach Aston as Baylor can't reload/retool on the fly every year.

• Like Like x 3
  7. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Sedona’s trainer often posts video snippets of her workouts. She always looks to be working hard at everything he’s showing her.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I think Charli can be better than Cox. I never thought that about Joyner though, she just doesn't have the shooting touch. I'm hoping Sedona can be a less turnover prone Imani. If so she'll be special.

I just wish both of them would have been able to play with Ariel and Brooke. That woulda been a helluva team.

• Like Like x 4
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Timing is something that has crossed my mind a lot this season - usually related to Imani playing her last 2 seasons during Brooke and Ariel's first 2. I've played the 'what if' game about last season and what if Imani had been a senior last year. Brooke taking over the full time PG duties, a healthy Ariel rounding into form, a dedicated Imani at C and Joyner at PF playing like she was last season (allowing Kelsey and Audrey-Ann to come off the bench)? That's a lot of firepower and doesn't even factor in the Big 12 defensive player of the year at G/SF (Brianna).

• Like Like x 1
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

watched Sedona's practice video. Nice shot on that turn around the defender. But she will need to be careful of extending that off arm to create space. At least once she extended it kinda far. Easy to call an offensive foul there. But that was once. Really like how she handles the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RitaRivas

RitaRivas < 25 Posts

If Sedona can hit that 12-15 footer consistently, she's doing big things her freshman year. No one will be able to bother that shot away from the basket.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She certainly works at it:

• Like Like x 5
  13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I like the equipment they are using. Those pads that are used to allow the player to feel contact and play through it has to be helpful. Prince at her height will get bumped a lot with lower body to get her out of rhythm. I had not seen those before. She really does have unique skills and is working on em hard. It will be fun to see how she is used as she isn’t a true back to the basket 5. She has a lot of options.

• Like Like x 6
  14. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I had to stop and rest after watching that! You hear a lot about how Freshmen come into college (or at least UT) unprepared for the level of effort and intensity required of them. I wonder if Sedona's workouts will have her better prepared.

• Like Like x 6
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well.....I recall reading a few ex-UT player recount their "Welcome to UT basketball" moment where they received an elbow to the neck from Nneka while going up for a rebound in practice. So....while that machine is interesting, I think they'll all receive their "Welcome to college basketball" moment later on.
    [​IMG]
    Man, I miss her fierceness

• Like Like x 4
  16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Coincidentally, Nneka was trained by the same guy!

• Like Like x 5
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Amen. While I don’t think she ever crossed the line to Detroit Pistons/Motor City Bad Boys territory, she would tap it with her toe from time to time to remind others she wasn’t to be trifled with.

• Like Like x 4
  18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, one thing, we do know for sure, Sedona is willing to put in the work to be as ready as possible when she gets here. Gotta love her intensity when working out.

The mental aspect of playing college ball versus HS ball may still be a jump but at least the physical part won't be as big a hurdle.

• Like Like x 6