You do realize we have a chance...right?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TexanWolv, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

The amount of people on this board that assume OU will jump us if they beat Tech is amazing this morning. What is more amazing is wanting Tech to win out because you'd rather not see OU in the MNC game should they jump us. I'm sorry to use the term but that right there is aggy logic at its finest. You'd rather Tech win to keep OU out of a possible MNC birth than OU win to give us a chance at the MNC game?

I do not see where this idea that OU automatically jumps us should they beat Tech is coming from. Possible? Sure...But I like to think us beating OU by double digits on a neutral field would keep us above them.

So I'll be rooting for the Sooners against Tech because it gives Texas the best shot to play for all the marbles....because this ain't intramurals brother. [​IMG]

2. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

It's mostly just the math. Texas has been getting mad love from the computers all year, even after the tech loss. OU (and Florida) have ground that they can make up in the computer polls, and quality wins late in the season will help them do that. OU has Tech and OSU left, and Florida will get a shot at 'Bama in the SEC CG. Texas should hold it's place in the polls, but the gap between us and everyone else in the computer rankings is going to shrink. Thus, possible jumpitude.

3. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

We're going to end up 11-1 and in the ******* Cotton Bowl against LSU or some other SEC retread. And we'll get to watch Boise State play the lame *** winner of the Big East in some worthless BCS contest.

Apparently, Florida is worlds better than Texas; it's as if beating 3 top 10 teams and losing on the last play of the game to the probable #1 team in the country counts for nothing.....TEBOW!!!!!!!!!!! The SEC bias is alive and well.

The BCS sucks balls. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. The Big Unit

The Big Unit 100+ Posts

5. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

A lot of the people in the media do care about our win and are criticizing the voters. That argument will win out overtime, as OU will never hold as many votes over us as they did the week after the Tech loss.

6. Rockinghorse

Rockinghorse 250+ Posts

First, it's too early to know what the voters are going to do with their Nov. 30 ballots. If the UT-OU situation presents itself, a lot of voters will probably make the adjustment to favor Texas. I'm a little worried that since that's a holiday weekend that some voters may not get the memo.

The other thing is OU going to Stillwater is still a solid opportunity for a last-minute knockout. Even an ugly win up there may cause them to slip. (This wouldn't help UT unless Tech loses to Baylor, but at least it would hold the Sooners down.)

7. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

One other thing to keep in mind- if OU beats Tech it will diminish their quality win. Tech will fall after a loss, and if OU continues to win our ranking benefits.

We really need for OU's other good wins to slide- that unfortunately means wishing ill will on TCU, Cincinnati, Nebraska, K-state and Washington.

8. Haxxxter

Haxxxter 100+ Posts

Don't forget Texas has wins over Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Missouri. If Mizzou wins out and wins the North, most likely they will be in the Top 10 again. OU, Fla, and USC do not have that many quality wins. And, Texas beat OU by 10 on a neutral field, USC lost to an unranked team and Florida lost to an unranked team at home. Hang in there, lots of football left to be played. Hook 'Em

9. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

I believe todays BCS should give us an indication of how things are going to roll.

10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

The fact that ou is off this week could help Texas. But the Horns need an extremely convincing thorough ***-whipping of Kansas this week. That may be enough to move Texas ahead of ou in the polls where they should be.

Unfortunately, we can't have a close game. Mack needs to lay the wood to the Manginos.

11. UTChE2000

UTChE2000 100+ Posts

12. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

13. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

I agree that OU is quite likely to jump us if they beat tech. But I will still be rooting for ou in that game b/c there's a CHANCE the sooners will not jump us in the BCS rankings, whereas, if Tech wins out, fait accompli.

14. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I see only two realistic far-out choices.... or, two far-out choices....

For the trend to bizzare season finishes to hold up, it would be this way...

1) Tech beats OU and goes to Kansas City undefeated only to lose to Missouri... but Texas finished #2 in the BCS final standings.

2) OU beats Tech...seemingly in good position for a 3-way tie... but then Tech LOSES AT HOME TO BAYLOR!!!! [​IMG]

15. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

The amount of people on this board that assume OU will jump us if they beat Tech is amazing this morning

I'm not one of them. I believe in the power of scoreboard. [​IMG]

16. Rockinghorse

Rockinghorse 250+ Posts

The theory is that late in the season, teams know what they have to do to reach the BCS and those who take care of business are rewarded. OU and Florida know they have to smear everyone and they have been doing so. UT needed to just win its games but that didn't happen so we suffer in the polls.

In this case, I don't agree with the theory. Besides the head to head win, UT knocked off top 10 teams the next two weeks and was leading another one until the final second on the road. OU has been blowing people out with the pressure off.

17. jamaebarrow

jamaebarrow 100+ Posts

I would rather have Tech win and prevent OU from having a chance than have Tech win and give us a potential chance. I'd rather have OU not go than us go.

18. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

put me in the sad camp that think a three way tie favors OU. Especially if we lay an egg against the aggies and beat them by just a touchdown or something like that.

OU destroyed Aggy in Kyle Field. If our last impression to voters is a tepid win over the aggies at home, they will be inclined to view OU as the better team, despite the head to head win we have against them.

19. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts