You don't say 'no' to Texas

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Fire Tunnel, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Fire Tunnel

Fire Tunnel 100+ Posts

How often has a coach said "no thank you" to Mack Brown while at Texas? Has it happened in recent years?

Grimes, the OL coach from Auburn is from Texas, went to UTEP, coached in Texas, including A&M.

I cannot imagine him telling Texas "no" if offered the OL job.
    Somebody call his mama and have her tell him its time to come back home.

Texas is a promotion to Auburn and its the big daddy in your home state. He shouldn't say no and Chizik should advise him accordingly.

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I could be wrong, but it seems Chryst may be the first. Although technically it may have been a "I'll get back to you on it" instead of a no.

3. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

4. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

If you believe the rumors that the Tennessee DC was our first choice, then there's one there.

If you don't believe the rumors, then really, we'd have no way of knowing one way or another because any rejections would happen behind the scenes.

5. BigVegasHorn26

BigVegasHorn26 250+ Posts

Didn't Wilcox and Addazio tell us no thanks?

6. BigVegasHorn26

BigVegasHorn26 250+ Posts

In reply to:

7. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Depends on what "no" means. Texas contacting someone to ask ask if they are interested in interviewing is one thing. Texas putting on a dog and pony show and extending a firm offer is something else. Like recruiting, asking someone to visit to see if there is mutual interest is not an offer. Sometimes it just doesn't feel right to either party.

8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY < 25 Posts

Regardless of record, we all know Texas is a premier institution but there have been times that people have said no to us. Heck, if you think about it, Muschamp said no to us and yes to Florida. I mean, I certainly understand but he was the coach in waiting.

9. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

Malzahn said no.

10. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

Well believe it or not there are those who aren't as bright that don't think as highly of UT as we do lol..

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

12. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

13. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

14. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Well Cryst said "HOLD ON..." & now we have Bryan Harsin as our Co-OC. That constitutes a "no" doesn't it?

15. longtex

longtex Guest

Same as you, I haven't been privy to all the gory inside details, but I am under the impression that Mr. Chryst said "Wait while I check out these other things," and we said "Mmmmm, nope. Offer withdrawn. Sweet cheeks, get Harsin on the phone for me, wouldja?" Or something like that...

16. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

It is this type of arrogance that led to our 5-7 record last year. nice op.

17. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Addazio wanted the job until he got the HC gig. He did not say "no" to Texas.

Wilcox removed his name after he knew that he wasn't the number one choice at Texas and was not going to be offered the job. He did not say "no" to Texas.

Chryst wanted to interview for HC gigs and Texas moved on. Texas did not want to wait for Chryst. Chryst did not say "no" to Texas.

18. Fire Tunnel

Fire Tunnel 100+ Posts

Read the post a little closer. I am speaking specifically about Grimes.

If you grow up in Michigan, you don't tell Michigan no. If you grow up in Indiana or Ohio, you don't say no to Notre Dame or Ohio State.

If you grow up in Texas, you don't say no to Texas- or to Texas A&M for that matter.

19. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

This thread seems to imply that someone saying "no" is a negative, it's not. A good fit is the most important thing for the coach and the program, so if after an interview it is determined (by either party) that there is not a good fit they part ways. There is no shame or harm in that and all parties benefit.

20. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I agree that "no" is not necessarily a negative. "Hell no!" on the other hand ...

21. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein 100+ Posts

At one time it seemed like bad juju came to players who spurned Mack Brown and Texas. There used to be a whole list - Fred Rouse, Rex Bomar, Ryan Perriloux, Darrell Scott, etc... etc... In fact the list got so long and myth became such an indisputable fact that I've stopped bothering to keep and cite the names. I mean why bother?

And maybe the same thing could befall coaches who spurn Mack Brown and Texas too. Paul Chryst didn't get the Pitt job. Did he? Who knows what other horrible fates await him?

More perplexing is the question of what causes this retribution.

Is it God, or the football gods, or does Mack Brown employee saboteurs?

I don't know. But he's like a magical, mystical godfather. He makes offers that one simply can't afford to refuse.

22. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

I can't really see Grimes passing on Texas if an offer comes.

Grimes grew up in Dallas, coached high school ball in El Paso, and college ball at HSU in Abilene. He's a Texas boy with lots of Texas roots.

Plus he coached several years at Boise State so he's hooked in with Harsin.

Add in a few dollars bills for salary, and I just don't see Grimes turning away.

Young guy, only 41, so, if he does come, the youth movement continues.

I just hope he's up to task.

23. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Time to take the burnt orange blinders off...coaching at UT's a great gig, usually...but we're not every coach's cup of (U) Tea. There are plenty of coaches who are happy where they're at, and can't be money-whipped into making a move. A couple of head coaches come to mind. Patterson's still happy in Fort Worth and he's had a bunch of chances to move on for more money...the same seems to be true of Fitzgerald at Northwestern. It's not hard at all for some coaches to say no to the Horns, nor should it be.

24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

25. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Some people are happy where they're at, and not swayed solely by money. Call it the "Joe Pa" syndrome...and I wasn't saying a head coach would come here as an assistant...just citing those head coaches as examples of people happy where they're at, despite several lucrative offers to move on.

26. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Ok, but why should it be easy for a coach to say no to Texas?

27. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

If you're happy where you're at, it gets real easy to say no to suitors, including UT. Now, I'm going back to sleep.

28. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Yea, but you made it sound wrong for it to be hard to turn down Texas.

29. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

The title of this thread is beyond arrogant.

Paul Chryst passed on us not one week ago.

I guess you didn't hear that George Wynn, Asst. AD for football, left us for Florida this month.

Texas could be at the top in terms of money, tradition and prestige, but it doesn't mean we are invincible...

30. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Texas Jack:

I agree it's arrogant to think someone wouldn't turn down UT. As for Chryst, looks like he screwed the pooch instead of turning us down: The Link