You get $10K and you get $10K...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texas Taps, Oct 22, 2014.

1. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Title IX and this:
    The Link

(The Equal Pay Act of 1963)

MINIMUM WAGE
    SEC. 206. [Section 6]

(d) Prohibition of sex discrimination

(1) No employer having employees subject to any provisions of this section shall discriminate, within any establishment in which such employees are employed, between employees on the basis of sex by paying wages to employees in such establishment at a rate less than the rate at which he pays wages to employees of the opposite sex in such establishment for equal work on jobs the performance of which requires equal skill, effort, and responsibility, and which are performed under similar working conditions, except where such payment is made pursuant to (i) a seniority system; (ii) a merit system; (iii) a system which measures earnings by quantity or quality of production; or (iv) a differential based on any other factor other than sex: Provided, That an employer who is paying a wage rate differential in violation of this subsection shall not, in order to comply with the provisions of this subsection, reduce the wage rate of any employee.

------

Of course interpretations for each case or group of cases would abound, but clearly this will be a cash cow for lawyers, and will probably result in ALL college athletes being paid.

Forget common sense, like the efforts of football players generate the boat load of revenues, politics would prevail with such phrases as: "...in the overall public interest and fairness...." etc.

All of a sudden, that cash cow of football would be milked dry to pay salaries for ALL athletes in ALL sports.

The nasty marriage of money and TV and college football (a manage a trois) has resulted in a monster that is getting out of control.

I don't think that paying a salary to scholarship athletes is the answer.

2. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

They already get a stipend, no they should not get the $5000/year for odds and ends. That is just tough.

The $5000/year put into an annuity for after they get their degree in 5 years, or $25,000 bonus upon receiving their degree for their likeness and name while at the university, all for it!!!!

I also agree that healthcare for the athletes should be covered for 5 or 10 years after they graduate or if they are hurt and it will be an ongoing injury in life, ie wheelchair, aggie degree, concussions, missing finger etc....

I laugh everytime someone says the NCAA is making billions, it is not billions when you have to take those billions and divide them up by 125 different entities, their are only what 22 schools that operate in the black?

This catering to the athlete thing is ********, the athlete should be thankful for the opportunity presented to them by the university. They have so many more tools to do well at school than the average student, how about they be thankful for opportunity!!!!

3. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I was curious whether employer-paid tuition is taxable income, so I looked it up. The answer is that the first $5,250 is exempt, and the rest is taxable. IRS Link

4. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

6. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

8. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

The $10,000/year is not all cash, people read what was said, $5000 will be paid as cash or stipend and $5000 will be put in an annuity for when they graduate.

Accordingly, the cash or $5000/year will be tax exempt and the Annuity will be taxed as every other annuity, bond IRA is taxed.......