You guys won't believe who Stoops hired

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bevo Incognito, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

We just hired Jerry Gray, who has 21 years of NFL experience, to be our DB coach.

On Friday, Stoops hired a new tight ends/tackle coach.

The guy is a lawyer and a minster and had two years of coaching on the high school level in Iowa before joining the Sooner staff:

The Link

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

But does he know the ins and outs of the car business? That program needs as many lawyers as it can get.

3. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Meh. He fits.

4. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Can you imagine the meltdown Hornfans would be in if somebody with two years of high school coaching became a coach at Texas?

5. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

weird.

6. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

This sounds like the "Got" calling the Kittle lack(ing).
    Sorry it's late. Whadaya expect so late at night.

7. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

8. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Color me baffled. What is the Gooner spin on this hire???

9. honkinhorn

honkinhorn 100+ Posts

Stoops has hired some pretty good coaches over the years. There's got to be more to this story than meets the eye.

10. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'll bet the guy blew him away in the job interview. Stoops is hiring to accomplish goals, not please folks posting on the internet. Whenever I've hired guys with lesser credentials small but excellent work samples and had terrific rapport in the interviews, I've always been glad i did. Of course, I've never had a budget like Stoops'.

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

12. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

OU also hired a DC to be their HC when we hired a proven 10+ yr HC. Their guy won a title in his 2nd year, while ours took 7 years. Experience isn't everything. Maybe they see something in this guy that lets them get in at the ground level.

Besides that, it appears they are adding a new position. It's not like the guy is replacing anyone that was previously on staff. So even if he contributes nothing, they don't really lose out from where they were.

13. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

Experience doesn't mean everything. If your job is very specific like this guy's, his playing days and GA and HS experience should be fine. Stoops knows this guy and must think he's extremely competent. I know a few people I'd hire who'd never even worked a certain position. Because I just know these guys are winners and will never not do well. People are way too hung up on experience and normal standards. Sometimes you reach beyond the norm to grab a gem. And if I'm head coach and earned my keep, it's my right to do so when I see the opportunity.

14. tsmith44

tsmith44 25+ Posts

The question is ... does the guy have a junior 4 star nephew, cousin, "client", neighbor, ???

15. WTHorn

WTHorn 100+ Posts

16. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

I'll criticize his coaches the minute we have as many big 12 champtionships as he does

17. RW4

RW4 100+ Posts

A big reason that he has as many Big 12 titles as he does is because of some of the coaching staff that we just replaced. If not for that, the numbers may well be reversed.

18. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

Professional Experience
    2010-present - Oklahoma
    Assistant Coach, Offensive Tackles & Tight Ends
    2010-11 - Oklahoma
    On-Campus Recruiting Coordinator
    2009-10 - Cedar Falls High School
    Assistant Football Coach
    2008-09 - West High School
    Assistant Football Coach
    2007-10 - Faith United Church of Christ
    Pastor (Iowa City)
    2006-08 - Northwest Junior High School
    Head Football Coach
    2003-10 - Sixth District Dept. of Correctional Services
    Executive Officer
    2000-03 - Iowa Peace Institute
    Director of Restorative Justice Programs
    1994-2000 - University of Wisconsin Law School
    Clinical Assistant Professor
    1992-94 - Michael, Best & Friedrich Law
    Associate
    1992-92 - Simmons, Perrine, Albright & Elwood Law
    Associate
    1989-90 - U.S. Federal Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
    Law Clerk
    1982-86 - Iowa
    Graduate Assistant Coach

Ok, its kinda impressive but not for football.

19. jj12345

jj12345 25+ Posts

you hire diaz as your defensive cord...and your going to rip this hire???
    seriously??
    If stoops had hired a guy that had been a cord one year to completely run his defense....i would throw up in mouth .
    You went from Boom(won a national title ) to a guy that learned his stuff at middle tenn state.....hmmm

20. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

21. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

22. vculou

vculou 250+ Posts

Here is the key to his hire "...Correctional Services
    Executive Officer..." 'nuff said.
    [​IMG]

23. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

24. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

In reply to:

25. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

Since I forgot we even have a tight end position on our team, I think a middle school coach might get more production in the next 2 years, than we have the last few years.

26. f16Horn

f16Horn < 25 Posts

I think both Bob Stoops and Mack Brown have earned some leeway on their coaching hires.

27. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

28. SmartChicOlena

SmartChicOlena 100+ Posts

I won't knock this hire. Stoops sees something in him that makes him a huge asset. My guess is he is a super motivator, smart, and with Jesus on his shoulder he will make an excellent recruiter. That's an asset for any program.

29. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

With all due respect to coaches, the technical aspects of coaching are generally not rocket surgery. What is perhaps just as important and is more difficult to find among candidates are a strong work ethic, the ability to relate to players, personal discipline, leadership, integrity (granted, not necessarily a stoops requirement), the ability to teach, good teamwork, etc. Stoops apparently goes way back with this guy and must think he has the necessary skills despite a minimum level of actual coaching experience.

30. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

Stoopsie needs the lawyering skills for the next set of NCAA sanctions coming his way.