You know you are getting old........

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by TheFied, Oct 3, 2008.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

When you sit down, you sorta make a quiet grunt. I'm not even that old (early 30s) and I do it every time. It pisses me off that I do it too. What is so taxing about sitting down?

2. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Just wait.

When you get as old as me it hurts to sleep.

3. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

ever notice how much noise you make when you get out of a car?

4. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

.... when there are pains in your body you never felt before.

5. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

I had a ton of fun wearing out parts of my body. However I kinda wish I had not done quite so much. : That is one definition of getting older - you look back more than forward. I still say people who grew up in the 70's or so had it better, There weren't video games and we didn't know about all the bad people out there. We could go and play all afternoon in a playground without adults, or ride bikes all day or hike up a mountain etc. Somehow our parents figured out that we were safe and would eventually make it home for dinner. Unfortunately the world isn't that safe anymore [​IMG] However it still hurts to roll out of bed and know the balls of your feet are paying you back for past deeds.

6. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

. . . when you wonder if they make Just for Men for arm hair.

7. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

I hear you AUinAustin. I used to do the same things growing up in the 70's. What's weird is that I am - to a certain extent - one of those over-protective parents today. At least within reason.

When I was 9, I was staying home by myself (with my 6 year-old brother). We'd ride our bikes to the park. Cook our own meals. Go swimming. Rec center etc. We were also on our own when we went to the farm in Comanche, TX. We'd take off with bb gun and some food and come back before the sun went down.

I now have an 11 year-old daughter and a 2 year-old son. There's no way I'd let her stay home by herself all day. Nor would I hand her a bb gun and tell her to be home by nightfall on the farm. Really weird how my perspective has changed.

8. FlyinHorn

FlyinHorn 100+ Posts

I pulled a hammy vacuuming when I was 32. That is when I knew.

9. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"When you get as old as me it hurts to sleep."

You and me both brother. And the more broken parts, the less you sleep.

10. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

If I knew I was gonna get this old, I would have taken better care of myself! [​IMG]

11. Nuge

Nuge 100+ Posts

when professional athletes retire that are younger than you. I'm 36.

12. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

when you make sure you are careful getting out of your car.

A few months ago I was about to get out of the car in a parking lot. I had my left leg extended out of the car, planted on the asphalt, and I leaned over to the other side of the car for something. Ouuch, felt a tendon pull on my left knee. Pain subsided pretty quickly. A week or so later, I was getting a massage, I told her about my tendon thing, and she told me how to get out of a car, rotate your hips so that both feet hit the pavement at the same time.

When I think about that, I think about reading Joe DiMaggio's story. According to a book I read he pulled his tendon getting out of a car, but his was much worse than mine. Supposedly he heard a very loud shot, he ended up in surgery I think.

I've been doing that ever since, it works great.

I'm 43.

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

14. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

Sophomore year at Texas, some buds and I were amazed when a Playboy playmate was actually younger than us.

Quickly approaching is the time when a Playmate will be as old as my oldest child. I hate getting old.

I'm 38, son is 11.

15. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

I sound like a bowl of rice krispies every time I stand up.

16. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

17. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

.... when you having to rock backwards before you stand up. [​IMG]

18. NEOKHORN

NEOKHORN 100+ Posts

When you are closing in fast on a half century of life, or to put in another way, ready to begin your 6th decade.

19. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

When your daughter completes her application to UT. And when you worry about your daughter getting in to UT, because you remember how you were when you were there.

20. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Hornhawk, I'm really liking your mugshot theme.

21. oldgeezer

oldgeezer 25+ Posts

When you spend more time at night going to the bathroom than you do sleeping. [​IMG]

22. 83Horn

83Horn 100+ Posts

When you go to a high school football game and realize that you are old enough to be the parent of every student in the stands and on the field. That happened to me about 6 years ago. I'm 47. Or how about when you realize that most of the students who are getting their bachelor's degree this year weren't even born when I got mine. Cripes...I need a drink. [​IMG]

23. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

When the hot chicks at work are your youngest daughter's age.

Uh.

24. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

One day you will look in the mirror and be ok with the fact that the hair you have left is grey.

25. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

I found my first grey hair the other day...in my ear.

26. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i read a deposition transcript today

the witness got his degree from west point, served 6 years as an officer, got an mba at carengie mellon, now the ceo of a sucessful company

he is three years younger than me

i'm in my 30s but still it really hit me then that i am getting old

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When YOU'RE A MAN and YOU'RE FORTY!

28. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

I pulled a muscle in my back during Shipley's kick-off return last weekend. Thought I was gonna f**kin' die right there in Section 9. Still hurts. Does that count as getting older?

And someone mentioned in an earlier post that they realized they were getting older when the girls in Playboy were younger than they were. ****.....wait till the girls in Playboy are younger than your daughter.

29. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

i'll take this in a different direction.

Today is the anniversary of the baby jessica mclure in a well event. it was 21 years ago. so baby jessica is now legally buying alcoholic beverages.

i turned 30 a couple days ago so this aging thing has been on my mind lately.

30. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

When your grandchildren are getting their drivers licenses. [​IMG]