Young Offensive Coordinators...both Horns

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by l00p, Sep 20, 2009.

1. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

This is a question for myself as well as others and hopefully Slugga can have some input.

I among others comment that Major is not ready (probably) to take the helm as OC at a program like Texas. We say that he caught a fast lane and fast track on his rapid rise in his career. There is speculation as to why he left Bama. Some think it was because he would have been told to leave and wanted to come back to Texas. Others think that he realized that he had some details to work on still and felt doing so with his mentor, Greg Davis, was needed.

There could be something in the middle of these. Others feel he is promised the OC job when Greg Davis retires when Mack does. But the kink in that is only if Muschamp, our coach in waiting, wants this. He may, he may not. He may have his own guy lined up somewhere. We just have to see.

So here is my question. Kyle Shanahan is an OC in the freaking NFL and getting major props from the announcer's on his game calling.

Are we (me too) totally wrong about Major not being ready for a major D1 program?

I want to also give Kyle props. He too has had a very rapid rise in his career and is doing very well it seems.

2. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Exactly. Being the son of Mike Shanahan only helps so much. The NFL is a business and he could be the Godson of another head coach and not get the nod as OC. He has to have the skills.

I guess he sure picked up a lot growing up and there was a lot of football talk growing up in that household. I have only met him a couple of times but he is a very nice guy. I wish him the very best, of course.

4. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

5. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

Do you think Muschamp will be the defensive cordianator like Pete Carrol at USC once he takes over?

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Absolutely, unless by some miracle he can get some legendary NFL defensive mind to run his scheme like a Dick LeBeau or something. Failing that, I don't see why Muschamp would give that job away. He's having too much fun with it.

7. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

If the Texans don't get it turned around Shanahan may become the youngest OC to ever get fired if or when Kubiak gets the boot.

Texans are just another NFL team that is very boring on offense. Very few offenses in NFL worthy of watching IMO. The really cutting edge stuff in offensive football is in the Texas HS ranks and to a lesser extent NCAA.

NFL = mostly zone, zone, zone, and then they run more zone, ~YAWN~

8. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

He may get fired if Kubiak does, but I have no doubt he'd get another OC job pretty quickly. He did have the 3rd rated offense in the NFL last year. And the game last week suggests that it could be another good/great offense this year.

-- yes, I know the offense sucked the first week, but the Jets game against NE suggests that may have had more to do with the Jets defense than the Texans offense.

p.s. - I hate the Texans, but good luck to Kyle