Youngest Known Female Summer Gold Medalist

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by LongestHorn, Aug 18, 2008.

1. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

American Marjorie Gestring in the three-meter diving at 13 years 268 days.

[​IMG]

2. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

Chinese gymnast is younger but that's awesome anyway!

3. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Let's say the chinese gymnast is younger...I say good for her. I'd be pissed the American lost claim to that record.

If the Montreal Games 76' had not allowed a 14 year old Nadia to compete, we would not have ever known or seen her spectacular performance. And her coach became the cornerstone of US olympic gymnastics.

I don't get what people are so fussy about. Damn near sour grapes whiney.

4. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

5. Hornin Hong Kong

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Have you noticed that in general smaller women perform better in gymnastics? Could you envision that it would be easier for an ant to stay on the balance beam than an elephant? Could you imagine that a bottom heavy rather than a top heavy individual would have an easier time staying on the beam? What happens from 11 to 15 that could make it more difficult to compete in women's gymnastics?

7. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Ya'll are just too much. The best olympic female gymnast this year was an 18 year old American. The next best was a 16 year old American.

Not a 13 year old.

But please tell me more about the ant and the elephant while I have another retard sandwich. [​IMG]

8. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I agree with 1990txgirl. The rules are the rules. I think this rule is ridiculous because I think if someone is 7 and can do the job let him/her compete. But since you have the rule it should apply to everyone and everyone should obey it. If you don't like the rule work to get it changed which I think they should do. No telling how many 14 year olds we have out there that could have competed.
    Consistent application for everyone is needed.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

10. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

You're right. It is an inexact use of the expression 'sour grapes' but I wanted to fold it in with whine for the pun. It failed miserably. Better I just left it with whiney sore losers?

Bela did not help the US gymnastics effort by shooting his mouth off. It looks cheap and very aggy to me. They're 13, they have 1300 million people and they have slave athlete camps and we'll never be able to beat them. ***** and moan.

Please. Enough already. Let's smoke them in the footraces and move on.

11. Hornin Hong Kong

12. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

13. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

14. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

15. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Nastia is better today than she was at 14. But she was good enough that she could have made the US team we sent to Athens.

No such underaged women's gymnasts could have made this US team. I know who won Junior Nationals and they would not have made this team. Ask Bela and he'll say the same thing.

He will also tell you that mistakes cost the US the team gold, not the age of the gymnasts.