Your best burger

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by ProdigalHorn, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Did one this week from the grill: double decker with cheddar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and ancho chili sauce for seasoning, topped it with grilled onions, tomato, salsa, and sandwiched in some Mission tortilla chips for texture. I meant to put green chilis on it but turned out I was out!

And yes, it was a little tricky to eat. Well worth it!

2. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

This thread is worthless without pics.

3. ProdigalHorn

I really should have. It was quite something. The growing pool of grease under the hamburger was a thing of beauty.

4. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

I went a summer trying all the best burger joints in Austin. I tried Hutts, Dirty's, and a few others. I had my best burger in Georgetown at a biker bar called Hard Tails. This isn't a place for kids - they have bad words in the menu, but I had a burger with green chili and avocado that was amazing... By far the best burger I've ever had. I've heard they have some fried hot dog concoction that I hope to get up there and try.

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Burgers 101. Always use 80/20 chuck and not a lean meat.

Blue Cheese burger...sounds gross, but trust me it's great. Just finely crumble blue cheese into the meat and add season salt. It's simple and tasty. MMMMMM.......

One of my new favorites is Jalapeno cream cheese burger on a jalapeno bun (if you can find them). Season the burger meat with whatever you like before grilling. Don't use pickled jalapeno's, sautee fresh ones in a little butter until they just start getting soft. Add about a 1/4" slab of cream cheese & the jalapenos on top of the cooked burger with a spicy mayo if you can find it.

6. georgecostanza

7. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Blue cheese burger is indeed greatness. Try adding avocado and red onion sometime.

8. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I'm not a blue cheese fan so I use a different cheese. But for my wife, blue cheese, chipotle seasoning, a little salt, whole green chiles, avocado, and pico.

9. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

"THAT IS a tasty burger"!!!

"My girlfriend is a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian but I do love a tasty burger."

10. georgecostanza

"You know what they call a Quarter Pounder in France?"

11. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

I second (or fourth in this case) the blue cheese. I make 2 really thin patties with buffalo meat but use whatever you like. Scatter a bunch of crumbled blue cheese on one of the patties, add some onion and season to taste with black pepper. Put a second patty on top and pinch the edges together, then flatten the edge to make a stuffed single patty. Grill as usual but be careful not to squeeze it when you flip it or the cheese will come out.

12. Basil Your Face

Basil Your Face 100+ Posts

Quadruple meat with bacon, ham, three fried eggs, a tub of queso from Texadelphia, ghost peppers and a diet Coke.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Central Market is having a two week burger event starting 6/13. There will be three new stuffed burgers introduced with over 25 different types of seasoned/stuffed burgers in the lineup. MMMMMMMMMMM...........

14. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to try and smoke a bacon wrapped burger on the 4th of July....for lunch while the brisket is smoking!

15. ProdigalHorn

There are few things in life that aren't made better by wrapping them in bacon.

16. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

burgers in Austin take me back to GM's and Mad Dog's (which was shut down for too many violations by the TABC)--good times and great food!

17. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I miss Mad Dog's shakes

18. georgecostanza

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

20. georgecostanza

What if she accidentally bites? What if your dog smells the bacony goodness?

I think you want to have your bacon, and eat it, too.

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good points. Perhaps that idea should be re-thunk...

22. zinger

zinger 250+ Posts

George....What's the answer to your quarter-pounder question? Bet it's a good one.

23. georgecostanza

24. georgecostanza

Now that zinger revived this thread, let's start talking burgers again.

My dad likes to mix together green onion, bell pepper, bread/cracker crumbs, and eggs into the meat. Season it with some salt and pepper, and you're good to go. Tastes great with a slice of colby jack on top.

25. Sip94

Sip94 500+ Posts

Sounds like your dad is making meat loaf. Sounds good, but it is what it is.

26. georgecostanza

I guess it depends on how much bread crumbs you put in there. The thing about meat loaf is that there has to be enough of a binder to actually make it a loaf. While the patties are drier than a regular patty, they are still juicy enough for me to not consider them meat loaf patties.

27. ProdigalHorn

I've toyed with mixing onions and chillies and other things in with the meat, but I've always found that it makes the patties to hard to keep together. I'm probably not doing it right, or I guess folding in an egg would help fix as well. Ultimately though I think I've decided that it doesn't seem to make that much difference if it's in the patty or on top of it, and in some cases I think on top is better because the flavors seem more distinct.