Your BEST o.u. memory.....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TEXnSEATTLE, Oct 6, 2019.

1. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

This Saturday will be my 48th in-a-row....

Without a doubt: 1977, Randy McEachern comes off the bench as the third string QB and helps us beat o.u. for the first time in 6 years....my date and I walked all the way back to downtown Dallas leading a throng of Longhorns doing the same....what an elation!!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Case hitting that beautiful out and up in a game no one thought we had a chance. That’s one.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I left that stadium so, so HAPPY!!! So happy for CASE!!!

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Stoney

close second

Bomar getting Bomared

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

1981 down 14-0 at half. Come back and win 34-14. Never heard a stadium that loud as the OU folks left. Stadium was screaming Texas / Fight and it was just bouncing off the empty seats. Biggest point differential in a half I can remember in that series on the Texas side.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Vince hitting Billy Pittman just before the half in ‘05, and BP carrying the Horns up into the end zone. I like this play because we usually just take a knee right before the half. It was nice to see some aggression at that point in the game.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Stoney Clark!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

You didn't mention but if I remember right, we ran that play, scored, had an illegal formation or something. Ran the same play and scored the 2nd time. On the exact same play.

9. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

1983! That Texas defense was brutal! Simmons takes it to the house! Oh what could have been

• Like Like x 3
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

WOW! horrible question

1) 1979 DEFENSE held OU to five first downs (2 on penalties, 2 on busted plays, one earned) Until that last busted play gained 15-20, OU's million dollar offense had (IIRC) 79 yards total offense

2) Earl hurdling Steve Hall (our TE from Tulsa) heading to the Southeast endzone and all those screaming cretins from the DustBowl.

3) Stoney Clark

4) Richard Peavy's hit on Marcus Dupree on Dupree's last play as a Sooner. The icing the cake was watching Barry through binoculars as he went running out on the field yelling at Dupree to get in the huddle. Barry got about half way to the hash mark and ran out of cord. Damn near tore Switzer's head off.

This will be my 57th in a row, so I'm sure I'll think of more.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

12. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

The 79 and 80 games were some of the most physical hard hitting games of this series! Both teams left those games with huge injury issues!

13. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Indeed a highlight. Like to see the defense get more folks willing to bring it like that.

14. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I tutored Richard Peavy for a couple of years....a great guy! Would love to know whatever happened to him. I did hear that he graduated...

15. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

FIFTY SEVEN!!! WAY 2 GO!!! what a blessing....do you remember the 1976 TIE?? That was my last game to cheer at and I will never forget the crowd response when we stopped them and they had to punt to us...I was right in front of the LHB and turned and tumbled to the middle of the field and it was THAT MOMENT that sticks in my head the most out of three years of being down on the field.

16. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

79 we had Kenneth Simms and McMichael. Bills Sims came out every series in the 1st half raising his index finger like they were #1. By the 2nd half he was dragging his *** out barely able to get back to the huddle. Kicked his *** all day.

Other memorial game was Edwin Simmons freshman game before his knees betrayed him. Had that 80yd TD. Another 80yd TD was Jamaal Charles when he spun off that OU linebacker and broke free.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

that EDWIN run was out of a movie....just incredible!!!

18. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

• Like Like x 5
  19. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

we were sitting on the 10 yard line......2 rows up....it was crazy.....

JOHNNY WALKER came around and threw his orange sweat towel into the stands and my buddy caught it…..it is in a frame of a picture of Walker catching the ball hanging in his guest bedroom, today....

20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'm with the Stonie crowd as my favorite.

A few other great moments of note:

- Shipley's long return for a TD
    - Marcus Dupree getting knocked silly

Shipley video below:

Stonie Clark's tackle at the goal (that dude was HUGE):

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  21. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

My favorite memory is everytime we beat them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

A year earlier, Johnny Walker provides a great moment in a miserable loss.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

AMEN!!!

24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Murdock! Put in Murdock! (1 TD, 3 INT, 35% completions)

Now that's some downfield blocking right there by JW!

25. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

There are many I witnessed in person that many of you mentioned.

Favs:

1. 1977 - McEachern, Earl, Defensive gem 13-6
    2. 1983 - Edwin Simmons coming out party, Peavy hit on Dupree + another Defensive gem. 28-13
    3. 1997 - Stonie Clark stop at the goal line
    4. 1979 - ou was #1 and all world - UT had no chance. Donnie Little and the D beat ou 16-6 IIRC,.
    5. 2013 - Horns had no chance - Case guided Horns to stunning 36-20 victory.
    6. 1998 - Major, Ricky wearing #37 romp over the sooners.
    7. 2005 - didn't attend the game, but Vince and the boys romped over the hapless okies 45-13

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

We were sitting in that corner and saw the play develop as Pittman ran down the sideline. My buddy needed to make a pit stop so after debating for a while, he decided to bail right before the half. He still regrets the decision.

• Like Like x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I remember it well, sitting in 107. Our kids played so well and so physical to have the game turn on that fumbled punt (sounds like January 2, 1984). I was crushed and sure we lost the game.

IIRC, the OU DS was from Stratford HS. When we lined up for the extra point, Ernest Lee from Tyler John Tyler lined up over center and told the kid, "you're gonna snap the ball clean over his head". I think the snap landed about the 20 line.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  28. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Randy's dream.............

• Like Like x 1
  29. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Comes true!

• Like Like x 2
  30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

2008. We were up 38-35 with a few minutes left trying to run the clock down, and Ogbonnaya breaks out a 60 yard run down to the 2 yard line. I was in the front of the upper deck right above that corner of the endzone he was running toward.

• Like Like x 1