Your BEST o.u. memory.....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TEXnSEATTLE, Oct 6, 2019.

1. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

After our comeback and then they got it down in a position to kick that field goal.....I could not watch!!! My head was buried in my hands sitting under the upper deck above the LHB.....it was only our fans going NUTS that told me that the field goal was WIDE-LEFT!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I was at this one too.

Prior to it, we had lost 5 in a row to Switzer following by that god awful 6-6 tie in 1976 (a game we should have won). Going into the 1977 game, they were #2 and we were #5

Our 2nd play of the game was a pass BY Earl Campbell (Akers had been setting this moment up every game) but ou intercepted at our 14. It looked like they knew this trick play was coming (spying again, Barry?). But then we forced a fumble. This was one of those Fall days when sound seemed to carry. And the sounds from this game are one of my lasting memories, you could really hear the hits on this day. And there were alot of them as both Ds were stacked.

Another thing you could hear was the sound of Russell Erxleben's punts. This game had a lot of big kicks and he was literally knocking the crap out of the ball. All day long. Booming high arcs with distance. I know it sounds weird to be talking about punts, but if you saw his that day, you could never forget them. He was unreal.

Then, on the next possession after Earl's interception and 7th play of the game, starting QB Mark McBath got his legs wishboned by 2 sooners and tore ligaments (maybe a broken ankle too). Then just 11 plays later, Jon Aune, who was just as starter quality as McBath, blew out his right knee. Both injuries ended their seasons.

Randy McEachern was listed as a DB. You know the rest of the story. It was defense and Earl Campbell who had had 124 of our 209 total yards for the 13-6 win. Some of the guys on our D were Johnnie Johnson, Glenn Blackwood, Mike Hartinger, Steve McMichael, Lance Taylor, Brad Shearer, Bill Acker and Rick Churchman. It was the first game in 11 seasons that ou failed to score a TD. Besides his punts, Erxleben hit FGs of 54 and 69 yards (but missed a 69-yard attempt). His last punt though may have saved the game, going 69-yards from out of the endzone to pin them back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I too was looking down the goal line when Stoney made that stop. I have heard loud many times at that game but I do believe that was the loudest.
    The slant passes over the middle (Walker) and the long drive for the win with the emergence of Butch Hadnot was pretty special. Wasn’t Gardere a freshman on that drive?

4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Stoney broke my heart that day. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

This didn't match my memory so I looked it up. 2000 Oklahoma vs. Texas Game Recap - SoonerStats - Historical scores, records, and stats for Oklahoma Sooners football, basketball, baseball, and softball

"...the Sooners actually had another chance to score with 2:48 left in the second quarter, but Stoops took mercy and ran five times to burn the clock. They took a 42-7 lead up the ramp and into the locker room."

"Griffin added two more touchdowns in the third quarter, a three-yard burst not even two minutes in and an eight-yard run with 1:26 remaining, to make it 56-7. After Texas' Kevin Hayter went across for a one-yard plunge at the 14:09 mark of the final period, Griffin closed the scoring with a one-yard run at the 9:32 mark, his school-record sixth of the game, to make it a laugher, 63-14. By then, Heupel was on the sidelines and sophomore Georgia transfer Nate Hybl was mopping up"

Nate Hybl took over for Heupel before last score. He was 1-1 for 14 yards for the day. So, there was no throwing for the end zone at the end of the game. Texas vs Oklahoma Box Score, October 7, 2000 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

There were two passes in the 4th quarter. One by Heupel and one by Hybl. Texas vs Oklahoma Sooners (Oct 07, 2000)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Gotta like those big splits for running lanes, and 4 point stances. Gotta like even better that swarming defense with very few missed tackles.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The OL is what proved to be our undoing against ND later. Their DL was too big and too much for us. I dont think having a healthy McBath or Aune would have saved us either.

8. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I was cheering the LONGHORNS on in 1976....we should have WON!!! OMG....out-played a great o.u. team....I will never forget their hiking the ball to the 35 yd line and ending this in a TIE....I turned to my partner and said, "get out the baseball bats, let's settle this thing!!!"
    15 years later, I am in Durant calling on the Medical Center on the way to Dallas for the GAME and the little candy-striper lady that checked me in and I started talking and I told her I was heading to Dallas to the game and she shared that her son was once an o.u. player....I told her I was cheerleader at UT and my last year was 1976....well, she asks me if I remember the center hiking the ball to the 35 yard line and the game ending in a tie? "well, that was my son..."

what are the chances!!!???

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

ABSOLUTELY!!! it is all about matchups....and our OL didn't match well against the HUGE guys for ND....back then, ND got everybody they wanted while recruiting...everybody!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

Yes, Gardere was a FRESHMAN....and YES!!! it was the LOUDEST I have ever heard a TEXAS crowd at that game. The sooner side is deafening sometimes....especially back in the early '70's when they had previously lost to TEXAS 13 out of 14 times dating back to DKR arriving on the scene....

11. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

At 11 minutes left in the game and the score 56-14 Heupel throws a pass that gains 50 and sets up a touchdown run at 9:30 left to make the score 63-14. Heupel was still in the game. Why? I guess Stoops was afraid Texas could still win? He was replaced at the 4:27 mark.

Does that make you feel better? Texas deserved to get beat and shame on them for rolling over. And congratulations to Stoops for showing his obvious disdain for Mack.

There was a late throw in one of the games, maybe not this one. I will find it if I can clear the single malt cobwebs.

12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

upload_2019-10-8_12-5-42.png

• Like Like x 3
  13. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

Wooooooster….I'll have to look and find the BOMAR GIF that had all the dollar bills coming out everywhere after he'd been hit....that was brilliant!

• Like Like x 2
  14. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

Thanks to Joe Fan for posting that video of the '77 game. What a great defensive game we had that day.

Watching that video reminded me that OUsux was on probation that year and was barred from being on TV. Somehow KVUE got permission to film and televise the game to the Austin market. That is why there were only a few camera angles and Steve Ross did the broadcast. Channel 24 has always been my favorite station since they did that. I was still in high school that year, but my blood was already burnt orange.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Oh man, I remember that Jamal run!!! That block shown in middle video would be penalized now as blind side or whatever it’s called. “I guess it was being mean” is what Gundy called it when it was called against them in our game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WorsterMan

Anybody got the video of the Shipley catch that went to the 1 yard line and Cosby does a de-cleating & teeth breaking side block of a sooner?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. WorsterMan

Joe - what are 6-10 on that list?

I'm guessing Louisiana, Mississippi, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Tennessee.

21. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

22. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Wrote a doctoral thesis that did not post so I'll condense: OU destroyed us that day, running back had 6 tds and went on to Broncos, I think? Thought later on it was divulged that, while on offense, the Sooners were running no huddle AND substituting. When Texas tried to substitute, they'd snap the ball and Texas would get penalized for too many men on the field. By the time the referees figured it out, it was too late. Believe the Pirate and Mangiano ran that offense....

Bubba, please keep posting here even on this Hatfields/Mccoys week!

• Like Like x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Leach left after one year and Mangino was running the offense for that game.

24. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I have to say, back in 1976, when we stopped o.u. at the very end of the game and they had to punt to us (virtually "waving the white flag") our crowd went absolutely BONKERS and that might have been the loudest....
    After three years of being on the field, that tumbling run out to the middle of the field while the LHB was blaring "TEXAS FIGHT" and our fans were just going NUTS was an adrenaline rush I have never experienced again in my life...that is the one SECURE memory of that time that I cherish the most...

• Like Like x 1
  25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Probably the 65-13 game. :) Trent Williams may have rumbled/bumbled/stumbled for 50. I don’t remember. You said throwing into the end zone late in the fourth. I just clarified that.

26. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

51 weeks out of the year I am deferential. This week I’m caustic for fun. [hook’em]*-1

27. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

BUBBA! seeing BARRY used to be hard for me....then, I saw a clip on a newscast a few years back where Barry had rescued a pitbull….that one act melted away years of my believing that he was the ANTICHRIST...now, Barry and I are ok....

28. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

o.u. was on probation for all the years I was cheerleader and we were never on TV...74-76...and they won two national championships on probation....as did Bub Wilkinson in the '50's....4 of them while on probation....and you ask me why we scream at the top of our lungs "o.u. SUCKS!!!!" ???

29. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I think I changed the pic during this week some time ago. Barry's not a horrible guy. His young wife has seen him become an avid animal lover. He's a flawed man. Like many of us.

30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Uwe Von Foot. Yet another ft worth kicker from that era that had a good NCAA career. So glad he didn't get to put a foot on that xp

• Agree Agree x 1