Your BEST o.u. memory.....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TEXnSEATTLE, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

1977 was my favorite, 2005 a close second.

In 77 it was truly like getting rid of a demonic spell. They kicked us around for five years, then the 76 tie ( both teams had down years in 76 yet it was a well played game). I can't describe the joy after that game. Unbelievably physical, hard fought.

After Aune left the game, I had no idea who our #3 qb was, but he earned a spot in Longhorn football lore that day. Too many big plays by big game players to detail (Steve hall blocks, Earl leaping over a safety for a score, Erxleben making a monster difference, Bruce Scholtz running down Freddie Nixon like a cat on a rat, Randy to Alfred on a huge third down etc)

The Austin pbs station replayed that game a couple of times , as mentioned they aired it live as well. Didn't miss a play. What a classic game

2. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I loved that he came to DKR's funeral. Meant a lot to me...

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He gave one of the finest eulogies I've ever heard at Coach Bill Michael's funeral n Columbia, SC a couple of years back

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ohio, Louisiana, Alabama, Rhode Island, Miss
    They make slight changes to it each year America’s Happiest (and Most Miserable) States

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

From that link:

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I kid.... I'm letting myself off the hook because Hate Week, but I'm not proud of that. Well, I'm a little proud of it.

7. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I can't remember whether this was the 1975 or the 1976 game, but Texas had been recruiting on defense like crazy to slow down the OU offense that had been steamrolling everybody in those years. Bam Bam
    McMichael was young, and very new to the defensive line but he was supposed to be good, so I kept my eyes on him on every play. I kept telling my dad: "Look, the offensive linemen can stand him up sometimes, but they can't move him!" I was so excited for his, and the defense's, future at Texas.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

ou won 24-17 in 1975
    Bitter 6 - 6 tie in 1976

From Freer TX, McMichael was an early force.

9. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

1981 - Great defense, lead by Kenneth Simms, shut down sux. I remember Simms beating at least 2 sux linemen to stop a late 4th and short play. Also, my student ticket draw put me near the 50, close enough to abuse the sux fans. Good times.

I was also at the Edwin Simmons game in 82 or 83. Edwin was an absolute beast. I thought he would be the next Earl.

10. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Some things are better kept inside.

• Like Like x 2
  11. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

Man, Gardere was awesome against OU. Think I was just out of college at UT, and went to all four games when he dominated. Great mental legacy for him, I hope.