Your best steak seasoning

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by ProdigalHorn, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Looking for ideas - I've been using Montreal steak marinade and some grub rub for tenderizer, and it seems to work pretty well, but I'm looking for better ideas. Anyone have a favorite homemade marinade (or for that matter store-bought) or rub?

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

If im cooking a good steak, I just use good salt and pepper and a little olive oil

3. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Agree with general if you're using prime grade (which I can usually get at the HEB meat counter for a decent price these days). If I have something less, or just want a change, I use a coffee rub. A couple of TB of finely ground dark roast coffee, TB each of sea salt, ground ancho pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, coarse ground black pepper, and a little ground chipotle (you can use cayenne if you want). Sometimes for grins I add in ground unsweetened cocoa powder, which actually blends in very nicely and adds another layer of flavor. USe what you need, save the rest

4. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

TexJoy is good. You can find it at Academy. But, salt and pepper is hard to beat.

5. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

6. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper is all you should put on a prime piece of meat.

7. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Agree on the salt and pepper and knowing how to cook it.

8. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

Saltgrass uses Tex-Joy. The stuff has a cult following in The Golden Triangle. I agree with the poster above that the better the beef, the less help it needs. Also depends on the cooking method used and the cut. Tenderloin needs a lot more help from seasoning than a ribeye or strip. Various grades of the same cut also determine best method and seasoning level. In the end, it is what you like best and no one perfect way.

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Fresh garlic should be liberally applied to everything except ice cream and pancakes.

10. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

A little bit of this, with course-ground black pepper:

[​IMG]

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Remember the Liquid Smoke.

12. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

if you have a good piece of meat, you should keep it simple. Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and canola oil.

13. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I generally use salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder

14. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

A drop or two of EVOO, Kosher Salt, fresh coarsely ground black pepper.

That is it.

And last weekend my sons girlfriend asked for ketchup for her steak. You should have son my son wince as soon as the words left her mouth.

15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Salt & Pepper is hard to beat. I have a jar of Kent Rathburns garlic pepper salt which is out-freaking-standing on just about any meat.

16. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

No matter how you season it, letting the meat come to room temp before cooking it is also very important.

17. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Cookwell & Company make a Cracked Pepper Vinagrette that I LOVE using on steaks. Now please note that on the rare occasions I buy prime, I just use salt & pepper, but I don't do that very often, Usually it's select or choice, and for those, my whole family adores the Cookwell & Company stuff.

18. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

Use a little olive oil to moisten steak. Liberally coat with Fiesta Brand Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning. Stick it in a ziplock to marinate for a few hours. Bring to room temp. then grill. To die for.

19. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

freshly ground pepper & maldon seas salt.

i salt steaks as soon as i get them home.

20. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Y Sanchez has the right idea--Kosher Salt, coarse black pepper rubbed in, and let the meat come to room temp for a little bit before grilling--sear one side to leave good grill marks (usually about 4 minutes per side @ 400 degrees for an 1 1/2 inch steak), then flip again for 2 min per side to cook until meat is cooked the way you want it--umm, steak sounds good tonite!

21. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

22. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

But would you season steak with chocolate?

23. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

For 2 3/4 lb steaks, i use this marinade, and marinade in fridge overnight, flipping the steaks halfway through

1/2 cup Olive Oil (use good olive oil, poor ones tend to congeal in the fridge)
    1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 TBS freshly ground rosemary
    6 chopped garlic cloves

mix marinade and pour over steaks inside a 8 inch pan (or gallon ziplock bags.)

cook to your taste afterwords.

tastes incredible.