Your fav. restaurant, new to you over past month.

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Will Monk, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Will Monk

Will Monk 100+ Posts

This forum is absolutely dead.

Name some places you've been to in the past month that are new to you, but you liked.

I finally went to Star Seeds, and it was 80% of what I expected from the hype. But still very good. I'd probably choose one of the other all night Austin breakfast type places over it, head to head.

2. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Habana, on S Congress

I could eat the Platana Loco every day for the rest of my life.

And die happy.

Of a heart attack.

next week.

3. 4thGeneration

4thGeneration 25+ Posts

Has the service at Habana gotten any better?

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

No

It takes for ever to get served at dinner (but lunch was ok).

But I'm never in a hurry.

5. Will Monk

Will Monk 100+ Posts

Yeah, that place is good.

6. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Noodle-Ism....and they are opening one up down South, just in time for the cold days of Winter(if they ever get here). I have always been a fan of Bistro 88, but never tried Noodle-Ism until 2 weeks ago. Solid place...

7. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

Wink was really good. Secluded and pretty busy, but a nice atmosphere and a solid menu.

I finally went to SpringHill in Pflugerville a few months ago, and that was pretty good.

I really want to check out Bellagio in the near future and see if their calamari is all it is cracked up to be.

8. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

ate at Bellagio on Fri

excellent calamari

the lasagna was amazing (my wife had it). I had a veal marsala, shrimp, scallop, clam, noodle concoction. Good not great.

Noodle-ism is a great lunch spot

9. texasboy34

texasboy34 25+ Posts

I recently tried Cozymels, and Iron Chef. Iron Chef is excellent, and Cozymels was okay. Cozymels was a little on the trendy side, and kinda reminded me of Hula Hut.

10. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

eastside cafe. very nice. very fresh, high quality food.

11. 111

111 100+ Posts

South Conress Cafe is the last new restaurant I've eaten at.

delicious

12. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

Finally made it out to Bellagio, and it was as good as advertised.

The calamari was fantastic. Lightly battered and very tender.

My wife wasn't feeling adventurous, so she ordered the tortellini. Need to work on her ordering habits.

I had the Beef Braciola, which is pounded flank steak rolled up with prosciutto, pine nuts, various cheeses, and a hard boiled egg in the center. It was excellent.

We had Tuxedo cake for dessert, and it just about killed us.

Service was very punctual, though the waiter was slightly over the top and thus annoying.

Good stuff!

13. unpaintedhuffhines

did your waiter have a shaved head and speak excessively loud?

14. EB22

EB22 100+ Posts

Go try Moonshine. It is a new place started by the guys who own Saba. It is over on Red River off of 2nd street. It is built onto the second oldest house in Austin. It has indoor and outdoor seating and an outdoor bar. Food and atmosphere are great.

15. Will Monk

Will Monk 100+ Posts

I like Saba. I will have to try that Moonshine place. 2nd and Red River...

16. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

unpainted,

That's him. Said calamari like a total tool and generally talked way too much. Glad to see we weren't the only ones annoyed.

17. unpaintedhuffhines

god damn that guy

yes, he kept saying "calamari" in a pseudo Italian accent. ******.

i was embarrassed for him

18. EB22

EB22 100+ Posts

Moonshine is at 303 Red River St
    Austin, TX 78701 to be exact.

19. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

South Congress Cafe is really good. I was pretty impressed with it. Moonshine is ok, but that location is doomed. Doomed, I say. Emelia's was really good and it didn't make it there.

20. unpaintedhuffhines

it didn't make it because it was $300 a plate

21. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

it wasn't any more than Aquarelle, Hudson's, or.... crap... ok. Maybe it was pretty damn expensive.

22. EB22

EB22 100+ Posts

I figure they wil do OK with the crowds from the convention center. I guess time will tell.

23. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure I've been to a new (to me) restaurant in the past month other than that pizza joint called Rounder's on 6th St. (which is decent) and the Belgian Cafe (which sucked), but if I stretch the rules a bit, I'd say Starlite is my favorite recent discovery in Austin.

Oh, wait. There's a new restaurant called D&L's Texas Music Cafe on South Congress. It's overpriced and can't figure out what it wants to be, but other than that . . . how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

24. BigLeonard

BigLeonard 100+ Posts

Starlite is outstanding. My favorite restaurant in all of Austin. Neat atmosphere, great food, not over the top expensive, small and quiet. Also have a great brunch on Sundays.

Great place to take someone if they havent experienced the weirdness of Austin much. Nice place with an Austin feel.

25. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

P/C, I didn't notice the spices at South Congress Cafe. I've only been there twice (and one of those trips was for breakfast), but it hasn't been a problem.

The noise has been a problem.

26. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

PC - your Zima didn't temper the spiciness?[​IMG]

I didn't notice it either JJ

27. 111

111 100+ Posts

OPIE'S

I drive past this little joint all the time on my way to Marble Falls, but last night I had 45 minutes or so to spare, so I stopped by.

I had the pork chop (although expensive) it was excellent. I used to think Mueller's on Manor haad the best, but I think Opie took the cake on this one.

I know many of you have been here before but I will be returning, plus like the SaltLick it is BYOB.

The thing that really sold me on Opie's though were the employees/owner. Truly genuine guys who took time to talk to each of the customers and spend time making sure that EVERYTHING was alright. Even brought me a free cobbler at the end of my meal.

Excellent experience. It's about 40 minutes from downtown, well 30 if you drive like I do out 71 in Spicewood.

28. Clever Username

Clever Username 100+ Posts

Moonshine was overpriced ***; and it's not even that expensive. And I agree about the Texas Music Cafe - so mediocre and the lighting in the back is terrible. Ruins a good outdoor scene. South Congress Cafe is greatness, though, and about 100 yards from my house.

Back on topic, though, I just tried Uchi on South Lamar and was very impressed. They serve these little 2" crabs that are flash fried and you eat 'em whole like popcorn. Damn they're good...

29. Will Monk

Will Monk 100+ Posts

Like tiny softshell crabs? That sounds crazy and good.

30. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

I went to Hyde Park Grill last weekend for the first time. I've been meaning to hit it up, and finally did. Awesome. I'm going back soon. I had some artichoke chicken, which was great, and my girlfriend had some pasta, which had artichoke as well. Both were excellent.