Your fav. restaurant, new to you over past month.

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Will Monk, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Monkey_Horn

Monkey_Horn 25+ Posts

Went to the Tree House Italian Grill for my b-day. Awesome food and a small, personal environment. [​IMG]

2. agslovesheep

agslovesheep < 25 Posts

Went to Habana last night. It was pretty good. The beans and rice which I thought would be good really werent though. I had the #11 it was kickass. Some sort of cuban chicken fried steak with baby swiss cheese and habenero sauce on top of it. Very tender and really good. Also had some plantains and tamales both pretty good but not as good as the main dish. Our waiter who suggested all of the above (except the beans and rice) was pretty dead on what was good wanted us to get some tres leches dessert cake but we were too full to get it, maybe next time. I will go back.

3. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Hmmm, I think the black beans and white rice at Habana is about the best cheap meal in town. Was that what you got, or did you get the dish with (chick?)peas in the rice?

Glad to see some folks have discovered Hyde Park Bar & Grill and the Tree House Grill. Those are both among our favorites.

4. agslovesheep

agslovesheep < 25 Posts

No jj I got the black beans and rice congriz or something (they were mixed togeather), I just thought they were really dry. Not a huge deal, but not what I was expecting I guess. I was expecting more of a blackbean soup like I usually get in the Florida cuban places I have been to.

5. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

I'll throw my vote for the Texas Music Cafe. Not sure what the others are thinking. Yea, it's expensive ($15-20 a plate) but the portions are huge. I had the pork chops and they were the best I've ever had. Two huge chops, too. I also tried the fried catfish and it was incredible.

Giiven that 90% of the restaurants in Austin are Mexican or Schlotzky's it's nice to have a good non-chain, non-Mexican local neighborhood restaurant open up. We'll see if it lasts.

6. 111

111 100+ Posts

Went to Reed's Jazz and Supper Club the other day. The food was great, but the portions were way too small. On someone else's bill, so I neglected to see the price of things. The atmosphere was superb, a swank piano/hip yet "business casual" bar downstairs, and a posh dim dining room upstairs. The whole rest. is filled with great service. GM and asst managers visited our table. GM is the old GM of Sullivan's downtown. Reed's is located in the old Mezzaluna - Arbor.

I'd check it out again, and just get something different.

Food v Size reminded me of the bygone Demi Epicurios.

7. 111

111 100+ Posts

Another thing about Reed's is some hot, skimpy, yet classy dressed cocktail girls, for those interested.

8. moonsky

moonsky < 25 Posts

Bangkok Cuisine! The BEST Thai in town! [​IMG]

9. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

We went to Madam Mam's last night, and I liked the food a lot.

10. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

11. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

12. ls20

ls20 < 25 Posts

Din Ho near Target up on 35 is a really good Chinese restaurant

13. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

Din Ho is good - try the Crispy Fish. Also, water spinach.