Your favorite Fitness, weight loss websites?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Summerof79, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

While I am loath to say I am making a "resolution" for the new year as I was starting to watch my choices a little bit before and during the holidays, I am going to try and make some lifestyle changes. Not just changes for me but changes that we can adopt as a family that will make us healthier and more fit. I am not going to start racing to the YMCA and spending hours on the treadmill, but I am going to try and walk, swim, lift, run, mow the lawn, rake the yard, etc, every day. Try not to eat out as much, though it's still too damn easy! Mostly try to make minor changes in dietary intake and increase my metabolism simply by trying to break a sweat every day of some sort.

Anyhow I figure that the hornfans brain trust had probably run across some interesting health/fitness/diet websites over the years. So if you have a particular website you think is interesting please provide a link and description of what the site is all about.

My goal for the Summer(pun intended) is to have lost 25 pounds of fat and add at least 15 pounds of muscle. I am thinking that simply cutting the eating out back (and the drinking) combined with some lifting and daily activity should be able to net me this by July with relative ease. IF and that's the big IF I can be consistant. I think the idea of making minor changes is going to be a better option towards a more sustainable "lifestyle change" than going for a more radical approach.

So if you have a good link share it!

2. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

The Daily Plate is a very good resource to keep an eye on what and how many calories you eat. I have the same goal as you...good luck. I haven't found an excercise program yet but I'm looking through Men's Health Magazine.

3. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

4. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Start with a family walk around the neighborhood and surrounding areas. But everybody goes and use proper safety such as bright colors, lights and such. Then time it. Don't make it a competition but just set goals and step the pace up. Change your course, your direction.

Then hop in the car on weekends and make walking expeditions around town or hike some. Mix it up but that is a great start to getting into cardio shape to do more aggressive things. Mix things in with it like casual swims, treadmill here and there or maybe some hoops or wind sprints.

Whatever you do, make it fun. Don't do or eat anything you don't enjoy already. Workouts get doomed when you start making it no fun.

6. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

100p - that's sort of the initial plan, just casually walking and mixing in some short sprints to raise the heart rate within the walk (fartleks). My "casual" swims will ramp up pretty quickly but I might take the kids ot the Y this afternoon for a benchmark swim. The idea of the walk around the neighborhood, perhaps with an occasional in town trek, green belts, Mt Bonnell, Town Lake will make the family walks fun. I figure if I can make smaller better choices on the food side of the spectrum and in turn perhaps do more of a lifestyle change than a "diet" that will be unsustainable.