Your favorite place to eat in Houston?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by UTeric32, Mar 6, 2008.

1. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

Ok, i know this is the 10,000,000,0001st thread like this.

But me and the wife are going to dinner tonight. We want to try something new. Now I do not care what type of place it is, just looking for a good recommendation. Steak, Burgers, Asian, Italian, Greek, Soul Food, whatever! All I ask is that they serve alcohol and have awesome food.

Looking to spend no more than $40-$50 on the meal itself.

2. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

If by the "meal itself" you mean just food, not included entrees or booze, I suggest Ruggles Grill (unless you've been there, then it's not something new). I am taking my mom there tomorrow night. I know the one in Austin did not do well but the one in Houston (Montrose, not Galleria) is pretty good, at least it was the time I went.

Edit: My favorite place to eat is Lupe Tortilla, which is taking this in a totally different direction.

3. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

auntie pasta in bellaire. cute little place i highley recomend the steak calimari, crawfish ravioli, black pepper& shrimp alfredo... thank me tomorrow and you are coming in under budget--- also with the bread ask for the dipping sauce.

for mexican we like los cucos
    for a bit of everything roadster grill
    check out the websiteThe Link

4. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

In that price range I love the Raven Grill on Bissonet between Kirby and Shepard. Great seafood, meatloaf, southwestern entrees under $20. Very reasonable wine by the glass. Intimate setting, great for a date.

5. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

If you want Greek go to Niko Niko's.

6. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

thanks, lots of great options so far. I guess Ill play too, just incase anyone wants to use this as a guide.

My 2 fav. places are

1) Mexican - Teotihuacan on Airline off of Main (off of I-45). Just awesome food.

2) Italian - Patranellas, on Jackson Hill St. off of Washington Ave.

7. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

For Mexican we like Pico's on Bellaire near Hillcroft.

Raven Grill is a great place too as mentioned.

Barnaby's on Shepherd if you want something casual.

In the Village area D'Amico's is great (Italian), as well as Black Walnut.

8. getBent()

getBent() 25+ Posts

Dolce Vita on Westheimer east of Montrose is a great Italian / upscale pizza place. Everything is good, but the pasta orrichiette with sweet sausage is fantastic. The wine is a little pricey, but I always get martinis there anyway.

I will have to try Patranellas - anyone who recommends Teotihuacan knows what they're talking about.

9. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

Off the wall Mexican - Chupultapec on Richmond just east of Montrose. The margaritas are icnredible, the food is good, cheap and they are open late. Do not expect the greatest food you'v ever had. It is good, and you should expect it to be good. It is not great, but that is not the point of this place.

Steak - I cannot say for sure what is the best since there are so many that are so damned good. I generally will choose Del Friscos or Strip House. The steaks are interchangeably badass. I like the sides and atmosphere better at Strip House, but the wine list at Del Frisco is without peer.

Greek - Niko Nikos - I can never understand why it takes them so goddamned long to cut gyron meat off a fookin spinning wheel, but i eat here lost anyway. Love the food, but it does come with hassle.

Fajitas - El Tiempo - a fajita is beef not chicken or any other nonesense. These beef fajitas are my personal favorite.

BBQ- try the new BEavers on Sawyer just off Washington. Not your typical BBQ joint so do not go there thinking it is going to be the same old BBQ type place. If you want an old school place thelmas is IMO the best BBQ in town. Luling Market at 610 and Richmond can be good at times too.

Breakfast - Breakfast Club on Travis at Alabama

Seafood - Reef - another incredible wine list that is well priced. Seafood is the best I can recall on a consistent basis.

Italian - Antica Osteria on Bissonnett at Greenbriar. The Boar Chop with balsamic reduction and the spaghetti carbonara are heart stoppers, but you'll die happy.

Favorite Special Place - DaMarco. I simply love everything at this place. Bring your wallet, but I have never felt anything was not worth the price. I have always had great service and every dish I have ever tasted here has exceeded my lofty expectations of it. I generally will bring my own wine when I do here.

Burgers - Christians Totem and Lankfords are interchangeable as 1A and 1B. I cannot determine which is better, but I know that I have never had another burger as good as what either of these do on a daily basis.

10. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Big fan of Dolce Vita. Big fan.

11. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

Santos on Westheimer new the Beltway is good choice. But my personal favorite is Lupe Tortilla and it is not even close.

12. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

So where did you go?

13. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

My list:
    Dolce Vita
    Da Marco
    Lupe Tortilla (just for beef fajitas- everything else about the place pretty much sucks)
    Ibiza
    Various Tex-Mex (Teotihuacan, Larry's, La Escondida, etc)

I really wanted to like Beaver's, but all 3 times I went, it just wasn't very good. Everything has way too much sugar and the brisket is a sick, twisted, dried out joke.

14. TexasERod

TexasERod 25+ Posts

15. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

We ended up going staying in...weather was NASTY.

But today we ended up getting to try Niko Niko's. It was really good, best Greek I have tasted in town.

Anyone ever been to Yia Yia Mary's before? Always drive by, never been.

And we drove by Reef today, my wife recognized the name from this thread. We plan to try that place soon.

But I seriously just might work my way down this thread and try everything.

16. Agent007

Agent007 250+ Posts

When i was young (haven't lived in houston since) Auntie Pasto's (notice the different spelling) on Bellaire (I think) was also one of my favorites.

Lupe Tortilla is still darn good.

17. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

Yia Yia Mary's is very good. Great selection of Greek food.

18. The Bull

The Bull < 25 Posts

Ibiza in Midtown.

19. BernOrange

BernOrange 500+ Posts

I really like Thai Pepper on West Alabama near Shepard. Neat place in a converted house with excellent food (if you like it spicy, that is).

20. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

for small places, I love Divino on W. Alabama.

for something different, give Max's Wine Dive a try. Also Ferrago in Midtown is good, except I had some terrible tuna steak tacos there.