your first aggy game...?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MortimerTX, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Victorious1

Victorious1 250+ Posts

How did it go? 1983, Kyle Field. I think it was Sherrell's first year and aggy jumps to a 13-0 lead in 1st qtr; aggy is whooping it up loud until Texas scores two TD's late in 1st half. Texas blows out aggy in the 3rd and the stands are empty by the middle of the 4th qtr.

What was the score? 45 - 13 Texas

Were cokes thrown? No, but we had a fat ag with the plumber's butt "humping it" in front of us until he gave up in the 4th qtr.

2. 1988Horn

1988Horn 25+ Posts

1984. Freshman year. Awful game for the Longhorns. I had buddies from high school calling me for weeks giving me crap. Texas lost to A&M every year I was on the forty acres. Mack needs to put his foot on their throat on T-day.

3. Esmack

Esmack 250+ Posts

Can't remember my first aggie game, but I'm taking my 9 year old daughter to her first UT game this Thursday night...

Looking forward to it.

4. pneuma

pneuma 25+ Posts

1965 dead dog field. Place felt odd to an impressionable 11 year old.

Nobis leads team onto field for pregame warmups done in a circle -- quaint. aggy trickery and breaks have Horns down 17-0 at halftime. Pissed DKR scrawls "21-17" on chalkboard in total silence. Prophetic as angry Horns come out and break aggy hearts 21-17.

Remember "pooooor aggys" reverberating for something like 20 minutes -- schadenfreude.

5. Gontex

Gontex 100+ Posts

Don't remember the year, sometimes in the late '60's, but Worster and I believe Bertelson were running backs for the Horns. Seems like the Horns stomped a mudhole in them. It was a cold miserable Thanksgiving afternoon game. Game was played in CS. It was a while ago, but I don't believe there was even an upper deck at Kyle field yet. Damn, but that was a long time ago.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

1984, the first of a decade-long run of misery against aggy...my undergrad years sucked *** for football...

7. Surreyhorn

Surreyhorn < 25 Posts

Was it 1982 that Texas scored two quick touchdowns at the beginning of the game? I seem to remember the Horns' running the opening kick-off deep into aggie territory and then scoring one or two plays later. The aggies fumbled the ensuing kick-off at their goal line. Texas recovered and scored the next play. There was something like 1:00 minute gone and the Horns' were up 14 - 0. I can remember everyone laughing at the aggies for being so incredibly inept.

8. Since69

Since69 < 25 Posts

First in person was my freshman year in 1980. Drove back from East Texas to Memorial Stadium just in time to nearly get in a major wreck on upper deck of I-35. Should have known it would be a bad day.

Exited on MLK, only to be sitting in traffic next to 4 Aggie goobers making weird swooshing sounds while giving me the gig'em thumbs up. I just shook my head, gave them the hook 'em and thought, "Aggies are really strange when they gather in groups of 2 or more..."

1980 started out great with a win over the Hogs, but our #2 ranked team lost to James/Dickerson led-SMU and then just fell apart, including getting thumped by a Mike Singletary Baylor team the week before. We limped into this game and the Aggies beat us 24-14, a high scoring game for back then in the Akers era. No cokes thrown, but a bunch of us Longhorns nearly lost our lunch. I honestly can't recall a decent play out of our guys that afternoon.

The play on the field sucked, but in the 4th quarter we all cheered when our microphone man and some cheerleaders beat the crap out of the fish Corps turds that tried to set off Smokey. Great seeing the drugstore cowboy looking mike man wailing on a prostrate fake army dude. Only thing that gave that game any redeeming value.

Thank God I got to see us kick their asses in person the next 3 years.

9. LSBR

LSBR 25+ Posts

1984 was the first I remember. I was 10. Asses handed to us for much of the first half. Jerry Gray made a pick on their half of the field to give us all a little hope. Had to settle for a field goal, and it got blocked and returned - can't remember if it was for a touchdown or not. I was buried in my satin burnt orange jacket. A couple of mouthy Aggie ******* in front of my dad and I turned around and said something to the affect of, "Oh, it's OK sweetie. You can watch." Aggie fans talked trash to us from over the side of the North end zone walking back to the car when it was over.

Long, brutal stretch from there that lasted until fall of my senior year, when we went to Kyle and took the final SWC trophy. That was a sweet one.

10. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

1995 game at Kyle field for the last SWC title. I think Texas had one once in the last 10 years. More recent fans don't remember how bad things were in the early 90's. Try to imagine one win against the Ags in a decade. Some ATM fool had a t-shirt that listed the scores for the last 10 years, with only one year (90) listed as Reload, instead of the pitiful score.

It was an utterly never racking game. 6-0 at halftime. I remember telling another nevous UT fan "I expect good things in the second half" while waiting in line for a hot dog.

I had end zone seats, and when (I'm trying to get the events right) Ricky ran in for a 4th quarter touchdown, I think on 4th down, I couldn't tell if he was in or not. But 90% of the crowd got super quiet, so I figured that was a good sign.

In all, a tough to watch, gut wrenching game, and a great way to being my UT/ATM watching days.

11. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

I've posted most of this before, so forgive me . . .

"Was it 1982 that Texas scored two quick touchdowns at the beginning of the game? I seem to remember the Horns' running the opening kick-off deep into aggie territory and then scoring one or two plays later. The aggies fumbled the ensuing kick-off at their goal line. Texas recovered and scored the next play. There was something like 1:00 minute gone and the Horns' were up 14 - 0. I can remember everyone laughing at the aggies for being so incredibly inept. "

THAT was my first game in person. Don't remember the aforementioned sequence of events, only that the day was cold and rainy and I left early. I think the Horns were ahead 35-14 or something like that, and aggy had no shot at closing the gap. At one point the aggy QB lined up to take a snap and looked at the UT defenders across the line. He then made an "X" by crossing his forearms, looking to both wide receivers. A couple of Texas linebackers looked at each other and mocked him by making an "X" with their forearms. It was truly hilarious. I don't remember the play amounting to anything.

I was at the 28-24 game. I think the UT QB got his bell rung or something like that and Donovan Forbes came in for one play around midfield with about 40 seconds left and promptly fumbled the ball. There was a story in the AAS the next week about how he hadn't been taught to hold his hands correctly under center and that was what led to the turnover.

12. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Freshman year 1990:

Awesome game with Gardere, the Cash brothers & gang. Took over the lead in the 4th, held aggy on their final drive, intercepted or recovered a fumble (can't rightly recall as we snuck in two fifths of Jim Beam with us) and then drove all the way to within the 5 yard line & took a knee to run out the clock. Could've put another score easily on agroid but took the classy way out. I was like... "Daaaa-yum!!!"

Then yes, we had an aggy Sr. corp nazi sitting right in front of us in full regalia. Two aggettes with him, they kept kissing after their TDs, [​IMG]

After we made it half way thru the 2nd fifth, we started having "fun" taunting them. As we were singing "Pooooor aggggggy" to them (after the knee), one of the agroidettes throws her coke on my buddy & his girlfriend (now wife). I still had about 1/4 cup of Coke & Jim... revenge is a dish best served cold and that aggy was awfully cold after my totty splashed his purty uniform. (obviously in my drunken state, I missed the girl).

Never felt bad about it though, marched off to Scholz's singing my new favorite chant & ate hot links with Earl "MF'in'" Campbell that evening on the back patio.

Damn, it was good to be a brand spankin' new Longhorn that year. Ended up getting picked up by a chica drunker than me & having manhood memories made at the Four Seasons later that night.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Since69

Since69 < 25 Posts

Yep. They looked like they wanted it much more than us; the start of the terrible run until 1990. And the beginning of the end of the Akers era.

I just remember the hits that game; they were flying all around. Beating us to the punch every down.

14. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

1968. Actually my first Longhorn game, we won 35-14 but it was much worse than that. We were up 35-0, and yelling poor aggy by halftime.

That was the "it don't make a ****"game.

And I got to go into the locker room after the game as a high school soph. Good times... [​IMG]

15. Xcalibur

Xcalibur 250+ Posts

50-20 in 2002. All I remember was a huge mudhole. [​IMG]

But my FAVORITE aggy game was the one at Kyle Field in 2003, where we went for a 2-point conversion EVERY TIME. "Why'd we go for two? Because we couldn't go for three." [​IMG] It was a blowout, Ced and VY ran wild. We threw the ball 8 times. The final was something like 46-13.